|3.1 Mercay Me|
Items: Ship Part (Random)
- Not much to do in the sea on your way back to Mercay Island. You may
notice that Beetles shop might have a masked icon and if you sail to it, there
are some pretty rare items available. However, most the things are rather
expensive and finding the ship is completely random. We will get to this later.
For now just set your sails to Mercay Island.
- Once you arrive back at Mercay Island you will notice one noticeable
change, the shipyard is now open. This is the first building by the dock so head
inside. The first thing you will notice is a treasure chest on your left that
holds a ship part. The part in the chest is random.
- You can talk to the man here
and from there you can customize your ship or simply just view it. For now we
only have collected a maximum of two ship parts, but Link will collect many more
as he continues his quest. At this stage of the game, the parts are just for
looks, but as you progress further in the game, customizing your boat with parts
from the same set will increase its strength.
- For now just exit the shipyard and begin making your way back up to the
Temple of the Ocean King. You'll pass those same old chuchu's and crows
on your way, but they should be no problem for you. Enter the Temple of
the Ocean King.
|3.2 Temple of the Ocean King, Part 2|
Items: Phantom Hourglass, Sea Chart #2
New Enemies: Phantom
- Link will run straight ahead. Before getting far, he will be called back
from Linebeck who also has entered the Temple. He reminds Link that the temple
is cursed and it will suck away at Link's life. After once again making Link do
the work alone, Ciela jumps in and the Linebeck-Ciela rivalry continues.
- Luckily Oshus arrives at the temple just in time to give Link some much
needed advice. He congratulates Link for obtaining the Spirit of Power and tells
him to head up the altar. Run up to the top and tap on the hourglass that is on
the pedestal. After a cut scene showing sand burst from the hourglass, Oshus
tells Link to grab it and he does so, thus obtaining the Phantom Hourglass!
|New Item: Phantom Hourglass
||Temple of the Ocean King, Part 2
- This mystical item allows you to wander through the Temple of the Ocean
King without taking damage, but uses the sand in the hourglass instead! To flip
the hourglass and restore your "time limit", simply wander around outside in the
sun. You can get more sand by defeating bosses and through other side quests. Check out the
Sand of Hours section for more info.
- The Phantom Hourglass is filled with golden sand known as the Sand of
Hours. Oshus will give some background on the hourglass, explaining that it has
the power to prevent Link's health from being drained while in the Temple of the
Ocean King. However, the hourglass works as a regular hourglass and Link is only
safe while sand still remains in the top half of the hourglass.
- Linebeck jumps into, suggesting that you can just flip the hourglass.
Oshus explains that it is no ordinary hourglass and the only way to restore the
mystical power is from the power of the sun. Oshus continues in detail about the
Sand of Hours, explaining that it is said to be made of Force Gems of the Great
Spirit, the Ocean King. Monsters that Link will fight throughout his quest,
including Blaaz, the boss at the Temple of Fire, all hold sand of hours. Link
will collect this sand after defeating these enemies. The more sand that Link
can put in the hourglass, the more time he will have while battling within the
Temple of the Ocean King. Oshus hints that there may be another sea chart
located in the temple and suggests you continue deeper into the temple. Linebeck
asks how Oshus knows so much, but Oshus mysteriously answers that the story is
not ready to surface but will at a later time.
- Once you gain control of Link, jump off the ledge and head deeper into
the temple. The hourglass will flip and the time will appear on the top screen.
Just like before, Link is safe while he is on these purplish tiles and sand will
not fall in the hourglass. We've been in this room if you remember earlier. Not
much else to do on this floor so just head straight. Ciela and Leaf will
interrupt Link's quest and tell him of the Door of Power that is straight ahead.
Leaf can use her power to open this door. Run on over to it, tap the door, and
head down the steps.
- Step down a bit and two enemies will fall around this room. These rather
large enemies are known as phantoms.
- These huge enemies are very menacing as well as invulnerable for
the time being. Also, if they hit you once, they'll kill you!
- Use your map to see their locations as well as their vision. If
they see you, run to a safe zone, which will stop their pursuit
as well as the Hourglass.
- They're invulnerable for now, and they will kill you in one strike, so
just avoid them. We'll have to run to the purple areas to get past them. Use
your map a lot and be ready to run away if need be. Let's go.
- The first spot you need to head to is the top-right portion of this
screen. When the phantom moves towards the bottom-right, bolt towards the right.
Talk to the spirit of the fallen man that lies on the floor and he hints that
the torches should open the way and he points to a location on the map. It is a
good idea to make note of it.
- Continue up and you will find a locked door. There
is a switch just to the left of it. Striking it will light one of the torches
that are found at the bottom of the room. Quickly dash straight downwards and
then head left. There is a small square safe zone here. Step in it and pull out
the boomerang. Trace a line to the lit torch and then continue the line to the
left towards the unlit torch. Release the boomerang and it will carry the fire
lighting both torches which will cause fire further along the path to subside.
- When both phantoms are out of your way, run to the safe zone at the
bottom-left of the screen. Now watch as the phantom makes his way upward. One he
passes the mid-point run to the next safe zone on the far left of the screen.
Wait until the Phantom turns around and heads down and then quickly run up.
Quickly run up and you will see a small key, but a door is blocking your path.
Run to the right and you will see a switch, step on it, this will lower the
- Run back towards the key and grab it. If the phantom spots you up here,
run back towards the switch and you will see two red pots. Strike at the pot and
a small safe zone will appear. You can stand in this puddle of purple and the
phantom will not be able to harm you at all. Wait as he makes his way back down
and run to the safe zone on the left, and then back to the one in the corner.
Continue making your way around both phantoms and get to the locked door at the
top-right of the screen. Use the small key and head down another flight of
- In this room you will see two phantoms on your map. One is
patrolling along the southern part of the room while the other phantom is in a
stationary position near the top. Once Link steps out of the purple area it will
showcase the stationary phantom and a switch that is located behind him.
- When the phantom is looking straight down, quickly dash south and you will
find a switch. Strike at the switch and then make your way left. You will see a
line of fire that blocks your path to the south. Just head straight up and you
will find another switch, strike. Hitting both switches will drop a key in the
center of the room that we will get later.
- In order to make your way past the fire, you need to pull the switch that is
behind the stationary phantom. The trick to doing so is to allow him to see you
for a second. When he chases after you, quickly run around pillars and back
towards the lever that was behind the phantom. Once you tap the lever, be sure
to tap the down arrow that appears below. Once pulled, the flames that we saw
will vanish. Quickly run back to the safe zone at the top-right of the screen
and wait for the phantom to reset his position
- Now when he is not looking run down and left to where the fire was. From here,
continue south and then west past a locked door. There is another red pot here
that you can smash to create a purple puddle where Link can stand safely in.
There is some more fire below, but stand next to it and pull out your boomerang.
Toss it through the fire and into a switch that is to the left. Hitting it will
lower the flames. Run towards the safe zone at the bottom-left of the screen.
- The next stop you need to make is at the southeast corner of the room, but a
Phantom is patrolling the area. Once you see him being making his way upward,
dash towards the corner. Smash the red pot to find another safe zone.
- Wait for the phantom to make his way back towards the left and then head
upwards. Step on the switch that is located here and spikes will drop just to
your left. Stay on the switch and toss your boomerang at the small key to your
left to retrieve it.
- Make your way back to the southeast corner safe zone. Wait for the phantom to
be far to the left or heading up. Once he is doing so head left and walk over
the blue blocks that are lowered. Hit the orb that is just to your right here
and it will lower the red blocks and raise the blue blocks. Now make your way to
the locked door and use the small key. Head down the steps.
- Two more phantoms await here with one of them holding a small key as you can
see on the map. Leaf will jump in and tell you that the secret is on this floor.
The phantoms should be away from you at the beginning so head right and then
immediately up until you find a fallen adventurer on the floor. Talk to his
spirit and he will give you some insight on yellow pots. They restore time into
- Head left and break the yellow pot to restore 30seconds into your
hourglass. Continue to the left and you will see a safe zone with a treasure
chest. Open it up to get a Force Gem!
- Leaf fills you in and says you will need
force gems to open up a door. It shows you an area on the map that has pedestals
where the gems go. Be careful though because you must hold the gems over your
head, which causes you to move slower. If a phantom comes close to you, just
toss the gem and run to a safe zone. You can always pick up the gem later.
- While holding the force gem, walk your way around the room, avoiding
being seen be either of the phantoms. It is quite easy to avoid them, as they
both just walk in a circle in their respective areas. Get to the pedestals while
holding the power gem and just tap any of the triangles and Link will toss it
into place, which will cause the pedestal to lower into the ground.
- Exit to the right and head down a bit. Donít jump off the ledge just
yet, but rather, pull out your boomerang and trace a line down and to the right.
There is a switch there and hitting it will keep the spikes on the ground from
coming up. The phantom at the bottom-right of the screen can be seen carrying a
small key on the map. Chase behind him and use the boomerang to strike at him
and he will drop the small key. If he spots you, just sprint over to the safe
zone at the bottom-right.
- At this safe zone in the corner lies yet another treasure chest, open it
up to get Force Gem number two. Just as before, maneuver around the two phantoms
and make your way to the triangle pedestals and toss the force gem into one of
the two remaining ones and it will lower into the ground.
- Now, if you havenít already, pick up the small key that the phantom had
dropped. Make your way to the bottom left of the screen. In the far corner there
is a lever. You can pull it and it lowers the flames at another part of the room
that allows Link to gain access to two switches. These switches are alternate
ways to getting the key from the phantom and eliminating him all together.
However, it isnít necessary to do so as long as you use the boomerang to get the
- From the lever, heading to the right a bit you will come across a locked
door. Use a small key here and behind the locked door lies a treasure chest.
Open it up to get the third power gem. Carefully carry it through the level,
avoiding the phantoms, and arrive at the pedestals once again. Toss it into the
third and final triangle and it will lower into the ground. The door above will
open up so head through it.
- Straight ahead is another door with a weird symbol. Tapping at it gets
Ciela to suggest that we may need another spirit to get through it. Move along
to the left and Ciela will jump in, mentioning that there is no fog and that the
phantom hourglass is halted on this floor. Anyway, continue to the left and
smash the yellow pot to revive 30seconds worth of sand into the hourglass. Head
up the steps and open up the large treasure chest here to get the Northwestern
|New Item: Sea Chart #2
||Temple of the Ocean King, Part 2
- This map reveals the northwest quadrant of the Great Sea, allowing you
to travel there! Phenomenal!
- Ciela jumps in
again suggesting that we should head back to Linebeck. Rather than just
backtracking through most of the level again, just head to the right and step
into the blue portal that appears. Doing so will take Link back to the entrance
of the Temple of the Ocean King. Exit the temple.
|3.3 Having A Blast|
Items: Cannon, Treasure Map #1
Gems: Power Gem #3
New Enemies: Bee
- Not much else to do here, so run back to the harbor to talk to Linebeck.
Upon arriving, a man calls over at Link. Talk to him and he will ask if your
ship has a cannon. Answer no and he tells you that he has heard you can get one
from Eddo on an isle to the south.
- Anyway, head on over and talk to Linebeck. After showing Linebeck the sea
chart, he complains that it is too dusty to even read. He tells Link to clean it
up. At this point just blow into the microphone thatís built into the Nintendo
DS and dust will move away from the map. Another symbol appears on an island.
Linebeck takes credit for knowing it was there already and suggests another
spirit might live there. Time for you two to set sail again.
~ Great Sea - Southwest Quardrant ~
- Once you set sail, Linebeck explains to you how to sail to the northern area.
All you need to do is trace a line to the north.
- If you try sailing to the north here, a cyclone will prevent you from making
it and it will toss you back elsewhere in the sea. Boulders still block the way
to the west part of the sea. The only other logical option, is to check out the
third major island that is accessible, Cannon Island. Trace a line to the anchor
of Cannon Island and set sail.
~ Cannon Island ~
- You may or may not have come to the island earlier, but if you havenít youíll
meet up with the postman for the first time. The gate to the rest of the island
is closed right now, so just head into the one house that is accessible. Talk to
Fuzo here, who is Eddoís assistant. He explains that Eddo locked himself into
the room while he is working on the cannon. He tells Link of an alternate way to
reach Eddo, by going around most of the island. Fuzo tells Link to follow him
and he leads Link to the gate.
He opens the gate for you, allowing Link to
navigate the rest of the island.
- Follow the path to the left and fight off two red chuchuís that appear. Head
up the steps and read the sign for some information about beehives in this area.
Continue along the path and you will notice pesky bees flying around and their
beehives hanging in the trees.
- These particular enemies are pretty harmless, though, they often
come in swarms. They will patrol around you, striking after
- They do minimal damage and can easily be defeated with a quick
swipe. Use the spin attack for groups of them.
- Follow the path and it will come to a fork in the road. Head to the right and
you will find a beehive as well as a treasure chest. Open up the chest to get
your first Treasure Map!
|New Item: Treasure Map #1
||Cannon Island - Southwest Quadrant
- This map shows the locations of sunken treasure in the southwest
quadrant of the Great Sea!
- Treasure maps will show the location of sunken treasure in the Great Sea. This
particular map gives a location at the bottom-left of the southwest quadrant. We
will get there in a bit. For now make your way to a cave at the bottom-left of
the island and enter it.
~ Bomb Garden Cave ~
- There are two rats here that can easily be defeated. You will notice two
blocks on the right as well as two bombs planted into the ground close
by. Put two in two together and you should know what to do.
bomb and toss it at the block and it will explode, opening up the
- There are three blocks here, but before we get to that, head all the way
to the right and you will see a mysterious looking wall. Head back and
pick-up another one of those bombs and quickly run back to this wall.
Toss a bomb against the wall and it will explode open a passageway. Head
up and open the treasure chest here to get another Power Gem!
|Power Gem #3
||Cannon Island - Southwest Quadrant
- These mystical gems can be collected and used to upgrade the Spirit of Power later in the game! View a complete
listing of each gem using the Power Gems Guide.
- Now backtrack to the three blocks. You will see that the one on the left
cannot be moved or bombed. The one in the center canít be bombed either
but it can be moved. The other blocks are blocking its way so it is
stuck for now. The block on the far right can be bombed. Run back and
pick-up another bomb and quickly run back. Toss it over the fence at the
third block and it will blast it to pieces. This now allows Link to push
the other block in and get through.
- Continue through the area and you will find another bomb as well as two
blocks further along. In order to get by this area, you must pull the
first block down three spaces and left one getting it out of the way.
Now make your way up and pull the second block to the right once and
then up once completing your path. Dispose of the two rats here and you
will find another block that can be bombed. Head back to the nearest
bomb, pick-up it up run and toss it at this newest block to break it
apart along Link to pass. Exit the cave.
~ Cannon Island - Bomb Garden ~
- Back outside you will find yourself in the midst of the bomb garden.
There are rats running around. Be careful when swinging at them as you
could also accidentally swing at a bomb and it will explode. Head
straight down and you will find blocks blocking your way. Blow them up
by using one of the near by bombs. Head to the left and you will see a
treasure chest. Open it up to get a red rupee worth 20 rupees.
- Head right following the path and you will come to some more rocks that
cab be bombed. Toss some bombs and then head down the steps over here.
Follow the path and you will find one tree on the right side. Roll into
it and a large red rupee will fall out. Pick it up to get 200 rupees!
- Continue up and to the right and you will see three blocks that are
blocking the pathway. You need to blow them up to get by but there are
no bombs in sight. Head to the left, lift the rocks, and fight off the
red chuchuís. You will see some bombs at a higher level. Backtrack a bit
and make your way around up to this higher elevation by the bombs. Grab
a bomb and quickly jump off the ledge and run towards those three rocks.
Toss it before it explodes and hopefully you will hit all three rocks.
This may take a few tries to get done correctly.
- Once you get them all, head left and follow the new path along the
trees. Keep heading along the path until you reach the back entrance to
Eddoís Garage. Head inside and talk to Eddo. After some small talk, he
makes it sound as if the cannon will be extremely expensive, yet it
costs a mere, 50 rupees. Eddo hints that he will be creating a salvage
arm next to get treasure buried under water. We will come back later for
that one. Head through the front door on the left and then exit the
|New Item: Cannon
||Cannon Island - Southwest Quadrant
- This item upgrades Linebeck's ship, allowing you to shoot cannonballs at
enemies. Very nifty, and you have unlimited ammo! Just tap enemies to fire.
- As you are leaving, the postman will fly by and deliver a message for
you. The message is about, none other than the new postman that is
reading it to you. It just explains that the new postman is a good kid
and Link should be nice to him. How sweet. Anyway, the postman will ask
Link to sign the receipt. You just use the stylus to sign your name and
then the postman will be off. Thatís all we need from Cannon Island for
now, so head on over and talk to Linebeck to board the ship.
|3.4 Ghosts & Spirits|
Items: Treasure (Random)
Gems: Courage Gem #1
New Enemies: Flying Fish, Ocean Octorok, Eye Plant, Mini Cyclone, Miniblin
~ Great Sea - Southwest Quadrant ~|
- With the cannon now installed onto the ship, we can now break through
the boulders that lead to the far left part of the southwest quadrant.
Set Sail towards the gap in the rocks. An explanation on how to use the
cannon will appear. It is quite simple. Just tap at what you are trying
to hit and thatís basically all there is to it.
- As you get closer to the large brown boulders, you will come across a
new water creature, a flying fish.
- The easiest of the water enemies, these things simply hover in
the air before diving at the ship.
- Just tap them to kill them in a single shot. Piece of cake.
- Once you arrive at the brown blocks, shoot a cannon out at them and they
will break off. Set sail for the island to the southwest here. Before
you can make it, the clouds turn rather dark and the Ghost Ship appears!
Chase after it with your boat and fight off several new enemies that
- These water based octoroks can be annoying at times, especially
when encountered in the fog.
- They stay close to the water and dive under repeatedly, shooting
rocks when reemerge. A single well aimed cannon strike will
- By far, one of the toughest water enemies. They will appear
right next to you, rising out of the water shooting seeds.
Because of this, it's also not uncommon to accidentally bump
into them, damaging you that way as well.
- Two hits with the cannon will defeat them.
- These things are hard to see at times. Luckily for us, that's
their only real strength. They have no attacks and can only hurt
you if you sail into them.
- Two cannon shots will take dispose of them.
- Keep following after the Ghost Ship, defeating any enemies in your way.
It will get foggier as the ship makes its way into the northwestern
quadrant. Now in this quadrant, another obstacle is in your way,
exploding barrels floating on the sea. One cannon strike will break the
barrels. Continue following the Ghost Ship until you can see no more.
- The fog has become so dense and when it clears, you will find yourself
back all the way at the bottom of the northwest quadrant. Linebeck
suggests that it is not smart to sail through the fog and that you
should head back south. Head back into the southwest quadrant.
- There is one island we can dock at here, Molida Island, but before
making our way there, lets set sail for the far corner of this quadrant
where a Travelerís Ship is located.
- Upon arriving board the ship and you will immediately run into new
- These small spear holding enemies travel in bunches and will
avoid your attacks. They take two hits to defeat.
- The spin attack is effective, but the Jump Attack will kill them
in one go. The Boomerang can be used to stun them for awhile as
- After they are defeated talk to the fallen man in the center of the
room. Tap him and he is playing dead. Continue tapping him until he
finally awakes. The man introduces himself as Nyave and says playing
dead is the best way to protect yourself from bad guys. For helping him
out, Nyave rewards Link with a treasure. Talk to him again and he will
say he has lost his notebook. Not much else to see here, so exit his
- Before heading to Molida Island, head east towards the three rocks on
the map. Looking through the telescope, Linebeck sees there is an island
that is not on the map. Linebeck adds it to your map, so set sail for
~ Spirit Island ~
- Upon arriving you will see that it is known as Spirit Island. Walk
around and the postman will appear with a short message from Astrid. She
thanks Link for his help once again and says if Link needs anything, to
stop by the Isle of Ember.
- Continue around the island and you will battle with three red chuchuís.
Once defeated, head to the right and you will notice a treasure chest.
Open it to get a Courage Gem!
|Courage Gem #1
||Spirit Island - Southwest Quadrant
- These mystical gems can be collected and used to upgrade the Spirit of Courage later in the game! View a complete
listing of each gem using the Courage Gems Guide.
- Head up and read the statue which states, the Shrine at Spirit Island.
~ Spirit Island Shrine ~
- Enter the cave and walk forward and torches will come up behind you. A
voice talks to you, saying it is the servant to the goddess of spirites.
It goes on to say that the spirits traveling with Link havenít recovered
their full strengths and that finding spirit gems scattered around the
world can restore their power. You do not have enough Spirit Gems to
upgrade just yet, but itís good to know where you need to go when you do
- There are two stone pillars on the side telling you that you can
upgrade at 10 and 20 gems. The other pillar tells Link how to equip a
spirit through the select screen.
- Nothing else to see here for now, so head back to Linebeckís ship and
set sail for Molida Island!