Ocarina of Time
Although unnamed in Ocarina of Time, Grog plays a large part in the game's Trading Sequence, and is given a surprising amount of background story. Grog is the son of Mutoh, the boss of the carpenters, and brother of the Cucco Lady. He is unemployed and can be found at night brooding beneath the large tree in Kakariko Village.
In the adult portion of the game, he travels to the Lost Woods to pick an Odd Mushroom for the old hag at the potion shop, who has always wanted to make potions using ingredients from the Lost Woods. When Link encounters him in the woods, he appears to be near death. If Link brings him his old Cucco Cojiro from his sister, Grog sees that he is a trustworthy person and begs Link to deliver the Odd Mushroom.
Continuing the trading sequence, Link delivers the mushroom to the witch at the potion shop, who uses it to create the Odd Potion. She is upset that Grog entered the Lost Woods and instructs Link to take the potion to him. She calls Grog a fool and fears that he may turn into a monster, which is said to happen to people who enter the woods.
When Link returns to where Grog was, he finds not Grog but Fado, who informs him that Grog is gone, implying that he has become a Stalfos. She asks for the potion made of forest mushrooms to be returned, and in exchange she gives Link the Poacher's Saw that Grog left.
Back again with his mohawk and his love for Cuccos, Grog returns in Majora's Mask. He can be found all three days inside the Cucco Shack at Romani Ranch. Grog is a quiet type, and the only thing he really seems concerned about is his Cuccos.
When Link meets Grog, he talks to Link about the falling moon. Overall, Grog doesn't have any regrets, for he never was very invested in anything. However, the only regret he has was never being able to see his latest batch of Cuccos grow into roosters.
Link can help Grog's Cuccos reach maturity before the moon fall by using the Bremen Mask. If Link puts the mask on and holds B, he pulls out his Ocarina, and begins playing. Along with his music, the Bremen Mask allows Link to march. In order to grow the Cuccos, Link must march past each and every little cucco chick, lining them up behind him single file. Once Link finds all ten cucco chicks, the chicks grow into roosters one by one. Grog feels complete seeing his little cucco chicks grown into adults, and rewards Link with the Bunny Hood for his help.
Grog's only entry into the Bombers' Notebook is receiving the Bunny Hood, which is attainable at any time. The notebook describes Grog as a "cucco-lover".
|This section contains non-canon fan theory and speculation.|
- The Potion Shop hag may be Grog's mother. Her shop is near the carpenters' house, and Grog seems more concerned that the wench receives the Odd Mushroom than for his own health.
- Grog may have suffered from some illness which kept him from working and required the Odd Potion to cure. However, the Potion Shop hag merely references his foolishness. Alternatively, he may have obsessed over getting the Odd Mushroom simply to please the Potion Shop hag, who may be his mother as stated above.
- ↑ "I have to tell you some juicy gossip! The boss carpenter has a son... He's the guy who sits under the tree every night... Don't tell the boss I told you that!" — Carpenter, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ 2.1 2.2 "I am the boss of the carpenters that Impa hired to improve this village and make it into a true city! But young men these days don't have any ambition... Do you know what I mean, kid? My workers are just running aimlessly around the village, and they're not making any progress at all... Even my own son doesn't have a job, and he just wanders around all day!" — Mutoh, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Oh, your Cucco looks pretty happy! He must have awakened an extremely lazy guy! You're a good Cucco Keeper! I'll give you a rare, valuable Cucco, if you're interested... Its name is Cojiro, and it used to be my brother's Cucco. Its blue body is quite charming. It's so cute! Since my brother has gone, it's strange, but Cojiro has stopped crowing." — Cucco Lady, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "I heard that the Lost Woods, where fairies live, is a strange place with many mysterious smells. I wish I could just once make medicine with some of the strange things I might find there... I may not be able to see very well anymore, but my nose still works fine! Hehehe!" — Granny, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Grog, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That bum! He had to go into the forest..." — Granny, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster..." — Granny, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "They say that when non-fairy folk enter the Lost Woods, they become monsters!" — Gossip Stone, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That guy isn't here anymore. Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos. So, he's not here anymore. Only his saw is left. Hee hee." — Fado, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true..." — Granny, Ocarina of Time.