Tail Cave is the first dungeon featured in Link's Awakening. The dungeon is located just south of Mabe Village in the South of the Village region.
Tail Cave entrance from Link's Awakening DX
Unlock Tail Keyhole with Tail Key
Finding the Entrance
In order to gain the entrance to Tail Cave, Link will need to acquire the Tail Key found in the Mysterious Forest. After finding his sword at Toronbo Shores, Link will be guided to the forest north of Mabe Village by the mysterious owl.
Upon arriving at the Mysterious Forest, the owl once again appears and asks Link if he has been to Tail Cave. The owl will then explain that once Link gains the key from the forest, he should go to Tail Cave and use the key there. After curing the curse on Tarin with the newly received Magic Powder, Link can then head deeper into the forest to find a treasure chest containing the Tail Key. Before taking the key, the owl flies down and tells Link to retrieve the instrument from Tail Cave.
Heading south of Mabe Village, Link finds a nearby sign heading passers-by east to the entrance of Tail Cave. Once finding Tail Cave, Link must use the Tail Key on the key hole, causing the gate to rise.
- Main article: Rolling Bones
Along with the Spiked Roller, Rolling Bones will be found near the end of the dungeon. Rolling Bones will try to harm Link by moving the Spiking Roller towards him. Jumping over it with the dungeon item, Link must use his sword to defeat Rolling Bones.
- Main article: Moldorm
Moldorm is a slithering, segmented worm-like nightmare that will try to ram into Link so he falls into the surrounding pits. Being careful, simple slashes with the sword can defeat Moldorm. Once Link has defeated Moldorm, he is rewarded with a Heart Container and the first Instrument of the Sirens, the Full Moon Cello.
- ↑ 1.1 1.2 "Hoot! Ho, brave lad, on your quest to wake the dreamer! Welcome to the Mysterious Wood! Much of mystery you will find on this uncharted Koholint island! I'm afraid you may find it a trifle difficult to leave the island while the Wind Fish naps. ...By the by, have you ever visited the Tail Cave, which is south of the village? Go there with the key you find in this forest... The Wind Fish is watching...Hoot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You've got the Tail Key! Now you can open the Tail Cave gate!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hoot! Hoot! So you are the lad who owns the sword... Now I understand why the monsters are starting to act so violently... A courageous lad has come to wake the Wind Fish... It is said that you cannot leave the island unless you wake the Wind Fish... You should now go north, to the Mysterious Forest. I will wait for you there! Hoot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Hoot! Take the key and go to the Tail Cave. Retrieve the Instrument that is hidden there! Go now! The Wind Fish is waiting! Hooot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " > Tail Cave v Toronbo Shores" — Sign, Link's Awakening.