• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Idealistically, if this were to happen in the real world, I'm pretty sure they would have a sperm bank. I know it's a bit of a mature subject, but I'm thinking logically here. I'm sure they would want to keep their race as pure as can be, and that would be the only way. Unless, there is just something biological about it. Like one female being born every hundred years with the ability to reproduce. Then again, the population would dwindle this way. It really is complicated. I guess if their only option to not become extinct is to mate with Hylians.... which brings another thought to my mind. Maybe they actually did become extinct, seeing as they are completely absent in Twilight Princess.

I was thinking about the idea of the sperm bank as well, but I didn't dare to throw it in because of the old nature of the time period and such. Either way, seeing as how they deal with magic, perhaps they carry a way to perserve their Gerudo traits and such.
It is complicated. =/

Steve

5/19/13
I gave it some thought, and though it can be interpreted as an immature thought, I don't intend it to be that way at all. I've begun to believe that a possible role of the Gerudo king, is to mate with Gerudo women, thus keeping the blood line pure. Some Gerudo may not believe in such things, which could explain the Ocarina of Time quote about them going to the market, "looking for boyfriends". Not only that, but it would also explain their disappearance.

If I recall, on the Child Timeline, we see Ganondorf sealed within the Twilight Realm, and therefore would no longer lead his people. Without him they could not continue the blood line, and also because he is still alive, another male would not be born. At this point they would have no choice but to interbreed with Hylians, or face extinction. As for the Adult Timeline, it is the same concept, that they probably died out when Ganon was concealed in the Sacred Realm, or they did not recieve the call from the goddesses to reach higher ground during the Flood (it would seem they do not worship the them).

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I have to completely agree with the post above me, except for on one thing. I made a post similar to the one you just did a while ago but the only difference was that, once Ganondorf was sealed this meant he could no longer breed with the women, meaning that no other male could be born. As oppose to no other male being born just because he is alive.

Think about it, Nothing says that there can never be two Gerudo males alive at once, just that only one can be born every 100 years. It all fits. The only rational explanation for the Gerudo mystery is this.

Gerudos only breed with other Gerudos to keep the bloodline pure. The male Gerudo that is born will start to mate with the females, at some point in his life something magical will happen to him, in which, for that one chance, he will be able to produce a male. However, I am beginning to lean towards the fact that this happens early in life, otherwise, the male could be killed in a war. Perhaps Gerudo conception just takes a VERY VERY long time. Anyway, I think the avergae age for Gerudo males is 100. Some will live slightly longer and some slightly less, 100 would be the average.

Think about it, what other explanation is there for there being no Gerudos in TP? The explanation is that Ganondorf never concieved that male, he didnt have a chance before he was 'killed' by the sages, and therefore the Gerudos were never able to concieve again. They all died out. Once Ganondorf had the Triforce of Power he had no interest in mating with the Gerudos, he was too busy taking over the world. When the Gerudo tribe realised they were doomed, some fled, to breed with Hylians just to stay alive. Some were too proud, refused to abandonne the desert, believed Ganondorf would come back for them, and died. This explains why some people, namely the bar woman (I think it was Telma) in TP resembled Gerudos. They were the Descendents of the ones who fled.

Think about it, its all very very plausible.

I gave it some thought, and though it can be interpreted as an immature thought, I don't intend it to be that way at all. I've begun to believe that a possible role of the Gerudo king, is to mate with Gerudo women, thus keeping the blood line pure. Some Gerudo may not believe in such things, which could explain the Ocarina of Time quote about them going to the market, "looking for boyfriends". Not only that, but it would also explain their disappearance.

This theory has one big problem. Now at first glance, this is a pretty solid theory. It is a good one too, so don't get me wrong, its nicely thought up. But the one major factor here is this:

Male Gerudo is born... He breeds with multiple female Gerudos in order to "keep a pure bloodline". Pretty soon, Male Gerudo has a buncha daughters, yet he is the only male. So what happens then?

Surely the male gerudo isn't going to "mate" with his daughters or relatives. This theory would cause all Gerudo to be closely related, very quickly. So I can't be in support of it on that account. I still just believe that the Gerudo women go to Hyrule, find guys, get pregnant, and have babies until eventually they have a male.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
No, as I stated above. I believe there is a LONG conception period, if that's the right term. What I mean is, the woman is pregnant for a LONG time. Also, on second thoughts, I do not think it is just the males who live for approximately 100 years. I would have to say it were the females to. This way the 'King' only mates with the females of his generation. This would prevent in-breeding and such.

True it was similar to the post above, but as I said, I had already posted something very similar to this, this time I just thought about it more and developed my point more.

No, as I stated above. I believe there is a LONG conception period, if that's the right term. What I mean is, the woman is pregnant for a LONG time. Also, on second thoughts, I do not think it is just the males who live for approximately 100 years. I would have to say it were the females to. This way the 'King' only mates with the females of his generation. This would prevent in-breeding and such.

The male would still be like, the great great..(on and on) Grandfather of the females and the next male. Your theory would work though, I see where your going with it. Only problem is, its strictly a made up theory. None of the games tell us the duration of a Gerudo female's pregnancy, and none of them tell us how long the Gerudo live. The only Gerudos we have seen to survive many generations are Koume, Kotake, and Ganondorf, and that's all because two are witches, and know magic, and Ganondorf usually has someone to resurrect him or survives by way of the ToP.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Good point. I was just trying to think of an explanation. I just really think that the only reason that the Gerudos are gone in TP has to be that there was noone to mate with them and continue their bloodline. So they just all died, except those who fled. Of course there are other explanations. Perhaps the Gerudos just decided that they didn't want to live in a dessert any more and decided to move. Or perhaps some natural disaster such as a massive sandstorm befell them and they were just wiped out.

Steve

5/19/13
The male would still be like, the great great..(on and on) Grandfather of the females and the next male. Your theory would work though, I see where your going with it. Only problem is, its strictly a made up theory. None of the games tell us the duration of a Gerudo female's pregnancy, and none of them tell us how long the Gerudo live. The only Gerudos we have seen to survive many generations are Koume, Kotake, and Ganondorf, and that's all because two are witches, and know magic, and Ganondorf usually has someone to resurrect him or survives by way of the ToP.
I agree it's nothing but speculation, but that's what this topic is. None of the games tell us anything about their pregnancy, so it can only be argued about what could be, not what is.

Shadow Wolfo

Darkest Wolfo There Is!
I was playing TP and the first time you see Auru he tells you about what happen.

He said that the criminals of the Gerudo Desert, were sentenced to death. So the only Gerudo left is Ganondorf. Thats what happend to them.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I was playing TP and the first time you see Auru he tells you about what happen.

He said that the criminals of the Gerudo Desert, were sentenced to death. So the only Gerudo left is Ganondorf. Thats what happend to them.

I don't recall this, but it's a good find. I would like to point out that this doesn't say that ALL of the Gerudos were sentenced to death. It just says the criminals of the Gerudo Desert, and, if you recall, there was at least one Gerudo who HATED Ganondorf and she ended up becoming a sage. Who's to say that there aren't other Gerudos like her?

Shadow Wolfo

Darkest Wolfo There Is!
I don't recall this, but it's a good find. I would like to point out that this doesn't say that ALL of the Gerudos were sentenced to death. It just says the criminals of the Gerudo Desert, and, if you recall, there was at least one Gerudo who HATED Ganondorf and she ended up becoming a sage. Who's to say that there aren't other Gerudos like her?
Yeah but they all pointed out they were all thieves. Though I couldv'e misread that part.

obviously Ganondorf is a playa and he "mates" with all of them and freezes his little soldiers until he comes back.

and where were they in those other games? Pretty obvious...mating:)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
In Ocarina of Time, the Gerudo take on many changes throughout the game. The Gerudo are a tribe of all women, but there is one male Gerudo every 100 years. This male Gerudo happens to be Ganondorf.

At first, the Gerudo don't want Link to be apart of their tribe and each time he comes near, they capture him and toss him into the Gerudo Prison. Only after he duels with the Gerudo's is he rewarded a Gerudo membership and allowed to walk freely amongst the Gerudo Fortress. At that point the Gerudo are friends with Link, allowing him to use their archery game as well as their training grounds.

Link later encounters the 2nd in charge Gerudo, Nabooru. She is found within the Spirit Temple and Link learns that Nabooru despises Ganondorf. Link later goes on to help Nabooru and defeats the Spirit Temple, later finding out that she was the Spirit Sage.

In Majora's Mask, the Gerudo are pirates along the Great Bay. Once again, they are entirely a female tribe. These Gerudo's are advanced and seem to be doing some sort of research. The have an edge in technology since they use motorboats and cannons.

Other then that, the Gerudo are not found in any of the main Zelda games. (Not counting Ganon and Twinrova). They do make an apperance in the Four Sword Adventures though.

There are a few mysterious I find to be quite odd with the Gerudo race. Apparently there is one male Gerudo every 100 years. So how exactly do they keep existing? Don't they need to have children? My guess is that means the Gerudo either head on over to town, find a man, and have a child. Or maybe, just that Gerudo male is the only father of all the Gerudo children. What if there is a female child that is born? There is so much that doesn't make sense about the Gerudo race.

Where are they in the rest of the Zelda games??? If you are one that believes in a timeline or a split timeline, it is commonly believed that the Gerudo race was wiped out with the Great Flood that is the Wind Waker. Fine, but how about Twilight Princess, the Minish Cap, either of the Oracle games, any of the four early Zelda games?

Did they only exist in the land of Hyrule & Termina and the ones in Hyrule all of a sudden decided, forget it, we are leaving. Too many unsolved mysterious regarding this race.

You know about the whole childbirth thing if you talk to one of the gossip stones in oot it mentions that gerudo sometimes come to castle town in search of boyfriends and and if a female is born instead of a male then they know somethings up be it happens EXACTLY 100 years after the last king was born and i guess maybe they ask the goddesses why no boys were born on that day and the goddesses tell them wheather or not the ruler of the gerudo is a queen or not or whos supposed to be the leader of the tribe or when the next king is born.

Zarom

The King
I think that the Gerudos go look for boyfriends in Castle Town, but they don't have child with them ... or maybe yes. With their magic powers, they can keep their bloodline clear. Maybe that every 100 years, the goddesses can make a gerudo pregnant like Jesus? And that this child is like the chosen one, the only male? :ganondorf:

Last edited:

startimer

Resident Cartographer
well, i'd like to join in on the arguement but it would take me forever and a day to read through all 239 posts which a good chunk i know is people repeatedly giving the gossip stone quote. would someone who's taken part in this arguement please give me a rundown of what was argued, what was settled, what theories were presented, ect.

if not, thanks anyway

btw as of now i think the gerudo being twili is ridiculous but as i said i havent read the whole thread so the evidence may change my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom