• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
In Ocarina of Time, the Gerudo take on many changes throughout the game. The Gerudo are a tribe of all women, but there is one male Gerudo every 100 years. This male Gerudo happens to be Ganondorf.

At first, the Gerudo don't want Link to be apart of their tribe and each time he comes near, they capture him and toss him into the Gerudo Prison. Only after he duels with the Gerudo's is he rewarded a Gerudo membership and allowed to walk freely amongst the Gerudo Fortress. At that point the Gerudo are friends with Link, allowing him to use their archery game as well as their training grounds.

Link later encounters the 2nd in charge Gerudo, Nabooru. She is found within the Spirit Temple and Link learns that Nabooru despises Ganondorf. Link later goes on to help Nabooru and defeats the Spirit Temple, later finding out that she was the Spirit Sage.

In Majora's Mask, the Gerudo are pirates along the Great Bay. Once again, they are entirely a female tribe. These Gerudo's are advanced and seem to be doing some sort of research. The have an edge in technology since they use motorboats and cannons.

Other then that, the Gerudo are not found in any of the main Zelda games. (Not counting Ganon and Twinrova). They do make an apperance in the Four Sword Adventures though.

There are a few mysterious I find to be quite odd with the Gerudo race. Apparently there is one male Gerudo every 100 years. So how exactly do they keep existing? Don't they need to have children? My guess is that means the Gerudo either head on over to town, find a man, and have a child. Or maybe, just that Gerudo male is the only father of all the Gerudo children. What if there is a female child that is born? There is so much that doesn't make sense about the Gerudo race.

Where are they in the rest of the Zelda games??? If you are one that believes in a timeline or a split timeline, it is commonly believed that the Gerudo race was wiped out with the Great Flood that is the Wind Waker. Fine, but how about Twilight Princess, the Minish Cap, either of the Oracle games, any of the four early Zelda games?

Did they only exist in the land of Hyrule & Termina and the ones in Hyrule all of a sudden decided, forget it, we are leaving. Too many unsolved mysterious regarding this race.

linkman8

True and Noble
There are a few mysterious I find to be quite odd with the Gerudo race. Apparently there is one male Gerudo every 100 years. So how exactly do they keep existing? Don't they need to have children? My guess is that means the Gerudo either head on over to town, find a man, and have a child. Or maybe, just that Gerudo male is the only father of all the Gerudo children. What if there is a female child that is born? There is so much that doesn't make sense about the Gerudo race.
I've been wondering about this, myself.

Oh, and with the Gerudos in MM, they said they were pirates, so perhaps Nintendo just needed to reuse the original Gerudos in the game to play as the pirates. I'm probably not making much sense, but perhaps the pirates aren't Gerudos at all.
Perhaps why they're not seen in any of the other games is because the game just didn't take place in an area of the world that Gerudos inhabited? Maybe they were there, but you just didn't get to see them.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
yeah its strange. as far as i know, MM is an entirely other dimension so i count that out.

as for oot, maybe gerudo fortress wasn 't "in" hyrule but rather just outside it. i mean, when you first encounter zelda in the game ganondorf pledges loyalty to the king of hyrule, so i assume there wasn 't any connection between ganondorf and the king in the past, while the gorons, zoras, sheikans already had a long time connection with the king of hyrule.

yes the gerudo legend of having a male leader after each 100 years sounds unlogical.
i was wondering also how they make babies if there arn't any males. but later when is was touring around hyrule to search for gossip stones (because i obtained the mask of truth) there was one gossip stone just outside the temple of time.
the gossipstone said this:
"They say that Gerudos sometimes come to Hyrule Castle Town to look for boyfriends."

so the only reason i can come up with is that they are making babies with their boyfriends, but still that there will be a male born in every 100 years sounds unlogical.

The gerudo are the twili. TP occured 100 or so years after OoT, and a male Gerudo is born every 100 years, the second known male is known as...Zant. Midna said their race were banished from Hyrule, which is understandable why the Gerudo was banished seeing how Ganondorf himself is Gerudo.

Pay attention to the fight with Ganon at the end of TP, he too possesses the power of the Twilight. Once Midna turns back to human form, she resembles a Gerudo. Isnt it also weird that the portal to the Twilight Realm is in the Gerudo Desert? Im not sure how much clearer TP can show everyone that the twili are in fact the gerudo.

Im actually going to be writing a full blown article concerning this later, full of spoilers.

EDIT : Ok while playing Twilight Princess again, I have found in game quotes pretty much proving the gerudo are the twili.

Quotes by Auru (speaking of Gerudo Desert) : "The criminals who were sentenced to death were sent directly to the uderworld by a cursed mirror that was kept in the prison" "This desert at worlds end...it still holds the cursed mirror and the malice of the doomed inmates"

Midna (right when you enter the Gerudo Desert) : "About the fused shadows...what do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the sacred realm?" (screen gazes to the desert wasteland) "They were banished...They were chased along the sacred lands of Hyrule and riven into another realm by the goddesses."

Then goes to cut scene explaining the realm. "Its denizens became shadows that could not mingle with the light, eventually most came to call it..the twilight realm." "This is the history of th twili as it has been passed down from our ancestors". " Do you now undertstand what Iam?...I'm a descendant of the 'tribe' that was banished to the twilight realm"

Aside from all that, Ganondorf himself was banished to the realm of twilight...

Sages "Only the true leader of the twili can utterly destroy the mirror of twilight...so Zant could only merely break it into pieces"

The Gerudo are the Twili.

Last edited:
S

ssj5goten

o and btw how they keep existing check the stones at the temple of time in oot they say gerudo sometimes come to town too look for boyfriends so i guess that is the way.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
maybe the gerudo are based on the legend of the amazons in greek mythology. they were a female-only tribe and they killed their sons or left them to die when they were born (quite scary, but that is what i heard).

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I heard that Zauz was part of the Cobble Kingdom who lived on the Isle of Ruins and their remains are burried on the Island of the Dead.

In regards to Phantom Hourglass, I have read online that Jolene and Joanne were of Gerudo descent.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
yeah i heard that too, but then then i was thinking back the pirates of mm and maybe tought that the dimension in PH is flooded termina. but still i think its a other dimension.

anyway avenged is right about his theory that gerudo 's are in fact the twili, it also makes more sense why ganondorf helped zant and why zant wanted the throne.

M

MiniMeMilo

Back on page 1, Avenged stated that the Twili were actually the Gerudo. As you all know, the Gerudo is an all female tribe withe only one male born every 100 years. The only way that Avenged's theory could be true, is if the male Gerudo lived on well past that 100 years. If my memory serves correct, the Twili were all males after you brok the curse on them. Unless females run around with no shirts on regularly in Zelda games. I could be wrong, but I think they were males...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom