• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Was the Shadow Temple Scary when You First Played Through OoT?

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
The Shadow Temple does have an eeire feeling to it. But did it scare you when you first saw it? I wasn't because I was 12 on my first go through of OoT. What about you?

Ganondork

goo
No, I was expecting a jump scare or something, but it hasn't come yet (since I haven't finished it yet). Not to mention, I'm conditioned for horror games since I started Dead Space 2

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'm not conditioned for horror at all, but I didn't really find it outright scary. Perhaps creepy in some ways, or once you think about it - all the blood on the walls is really kind of sick and messed up, but I really didn't notice until a subsequent playthrough when I know it was supposed to be there. The whole boat sequence near the boss room is a bit eerie, too, without me having to look for it. I think the end of that sequence where it sinks as well as the room where the spiked walls close in on you, both kind of freaked me out as a small child. But the same fear seems more or less absent now, partly because I know how to survive them. The way to really make something scary in a video game, at least for my younger self, is when there's a good chance of not surviving.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
I wouldn't say scary, but just plain creepy. It did give me that uneasy feeling when I played to the point where I felt more comfortable with other people around lol. I felt as if something was going to catch me at any moment. This was years ago though. It still gives me the creeps but I can bear it lol

N

Northernspiral

I'd say that it is a very eerie dungeon, and that the enemy's in there are quite eerie also. Also, I almost pee'd my pants when a wall master came out of nowhere and transported me back to the beginning of the dungeon. Dang wall masters!!

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Yeah it was definitely scary for me when I first played it considering I was 4 or 5 of course XD The music was scary, the chanting, the harpsichord and the bongo's in the theme all fit together perfectly to scare the crap out of you! XD Plus the general theme of the temple. The darkness and the griminess. Finally THE ENEMIES! Redead's and gibdo's were one thing but the wallmasters were terrible.... especially when they'd multiply XD and of course the dead hand >_< the walking white seizure face monster. XD There's basically no way to actually kill him without one of those stinking hands getting at you. lol, definitely a scary temple!

I found it to be pretty freaky. All those zombies and claws and bloody, pointy things really set the mood. The freakiest was the music though. Those deep brown voices sounded like a choir of demons hiding in the walls. I wasn't realy freaked out by the Dead Hand, though. You could see his arms sticking out of the floor so you knew you had to fight some mean monster. The Wall Master was much more scary if you ask me.

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
To highlight WHAT about the Shadow Temple scared me, I'll explain the background of being scared in the game. Now, I would have been 9, I believe when I first played OoT.
Before the shadow temple, I used to freak out because of the ReDeads in the Composer brothers' grave... A little scared by the scream, but nothing too drastic.
In the Forest Temple, the wallmaster took me by surprise, and I almost cried, I turned off the N64 and didn't play for a few days. The next time I played, I came to the room with the floormaster (My first encounter with a floormaster) I freaked out when they multiplied... and started groping my face.
Now FastForward to the Shadow Temple:
- It had my first encounter with a Gibdo, I assumed they would have been stronger than ReDeads, as they appeared later in the game. - I freaked.
- The room with 2 (or 3?) floormasters, with invisible walls. I had never seen so many of them, and I ran away. I was SO scared. (When I came back, and they couldn't attack, I used the Lens of Truth, which calmed me down greatly)
- The Ship was unsettling, but not scary

But now it doesn't scare me in the slightest...

SheikahSoul

Decadence
I did scare me indeed as the Bottom of the Well did. Altough the music was scary, it was also very fitting and awesome. But what really scared me were monsters like the Dead Hand and ReDeads and Gibdos. Even tough I was ok in the middle of gameplay (cause at that time I was watching my big bro play the game), I used to have nightmares of the ReDeads. It was horrible and frightening. In my dream, they used to hang and walk around in our garden, trying to get iin. And I remember so well when I was in my room and suddenly my wardrobe door opened and there was a ReDead and grabbed me and there I was stuck and suffered.
So I guess it's the ReDeads that has made the most scary times and all. I also hate the ReDeads and every other kind of zombie/mummy monsters as well.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Not really, but it was definitely a haunted house kind of dungeon.The Shadow Temple was just more disturbing than scary. The Bottom of the Well is what creeped me out.

This exactly. I actually found the Bottom of the Well to be far creepier than the Shadow Temple, despite the shared characteristics between the two. I think it was something about the invisible holes in the floor that kept leading to that creepy basement floor. Oh, and the Like-Like in that extremely tight room behind bars. Oh, and facing Dead Hand for the first time as young Link when your attacks aren't as effective. Some combination of all that made it extremely creepy for me...

Compared to that, the Shadow Temple didn't creep me out all that much.

Last edited:

SheikahSoul

Decadence
This exactly. I actually found the Bottom of the Well to be far creepier than the Shadow Temple, despite the shared characteristics between the two. I think it was something about the invisible holes in the floor that kept leading to that creepy basement floor. Oh, and the Like-Like in that extremely tight room behind bars. Oh, and facing Dead Hand for the first time as young Link when your attacks aren't as effective. Some combination of all that made it extremely creepy for me...

Compared to that, the Shadow Temple didn't creep me out all that much.

I have to agree. The shadow temple were indeed more disturbing in fact, much thanks to the wallmasters.
But even If I enjoy Shadow Temple quite much nowadays I enjoy Bottom of the Well even more. I just love the blood on the floors and walls in that dungeoun. I know it might sound awkward but it looked so darn beutiful in an artsy way. And that place makes me wonder so much, what had actually happened down there?

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I have to agree. The shadow temple were indeed more disturbing in fact, much thanks to the wallmasters.
But even If I enjoy Shadow Temple quite much nowadays I enjoy Bottom of the Well even more. I just love the blood on the floors and walls in that dungeoun. I know it might sound awkward but it looked so darn beutiful in an artsy way. And that place makes me wonder so much, what had actually happened down there?

Wait...you mean you disagree right? ;) I personally found the Bottom of the Well to be creepier despite the addition of the floormasters and wallmasters in the shadow temple. But well... that is my opinion ^^

As for what happened down there, wasn't the Shadow Temple a place of worship for the Sheikah? Perhaps if we get a close look at the Sheikah in SS, we may revisit the Shadow Temple in it's more primitive form, and learn some of the answers to those questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom