• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Game Ever?

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I'm extremely supprised that I didn't see a thread like this but if I missed it could a mod delete this thread?

So this thread is basically self explanitory, what game do you think is the best game of all time (*NOTE* Not your favorite)?

If I was to pick mine would be Final Fantasy 6. Everything about this game was perfect to me and couldn't be inproved upon at all.

Responses? And I feel like there would be a thread like this so please if there is tell me. Thanks!

Squirrel

The Rodent King
My favorite game is either LoZTP, LoZSS (which I haven't played yet), Need for Speed: Carbon, Super Smash Bros Brawl, or DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
I love all of them. I still like LoZOoT and LoZMM though.

Well, I would think that your best game would be your favorite.
But anyways, mine is Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

I like this game because you're not limited on what to do. Not only do you have the force to use, but you also have a lightsaber.
I also think this is the best game I've played because you can use cheats to change into other characters.
It's also fun to spawn a whole bunch of Reborns to fight against.

The Original Super Mario Bros, the game that very well may have saved the video game industry in America. It put Nintendo on the map and without it games like our very own Zelda would most likely never have existed.
Behind that would be Ocarina of Time as it to had a great influence and a wonderful title as well.
And don't forget Pong, the first mainstream video game!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I keep being drawn back and forth between the Zelda and Fable series. I want to say Occarina of Time because of how it's affected gaming for me, being my first real game... but I think I would have to go with the original Fable (well the Lost Chapters version since it's an expansion of the original Fable) because of the way you can shape your own adventure.

Your character changes with your choices, you hone your skills through the way you play. If you tackle your enemies hand to hand, the experience you receive will enable you to focus on strenght, physique and the like. If you use a lot of magic in battle scenarios, the experience you receive will enable you to hone your existing spells, or enable you to learn new spells. If you focus on skill, like battling from a distance, trading, stealing, the experience you receive will enable you to hone these skills.

And in addition to building your character's strengths, you also define your character's moral compass. Good deeds push you towards "good" and evil deeds push you towards "evil" and a balance between the two keeps you neutral. Depending on where you are on the scale between pure "good" and pure "evil" your character will reflect it.

You basically build your character's personality through your actions, from their strengths to their alignment, down to their sexuality. By accessorizing your character with clothing, haircut, facial hair, tattoos... you can attract people, repulse people, scare people... Your interaction with characters can define this as well... What you eat can even change your character's physique...

Possibilities and consequences evolve and expand with the games that follows, but not revolutionarily so. That's why I have to go with the original Fable as the best game. Because it already has in place so many features, so many options, a great story and a ton to do both within and aside from the story itself...

[video=youtube;X4f1eDrqt_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4f1eDrqt_w[/video]

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Super Mario Bros (saving the industry) and Ocarina of Time 3D (taking an amazing game with amazing gameplay and an amazing story and putting it in 3D with improved graphics and just making it all-around AWESOME-er!)

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Well, honestly, I'm not sure how to answer to that. I mean, we all have to admit we're a little biased. There isn't really a way to refer to a game as "Best Game ever" and not having anybody disagree with you. I say that because a lot of people are SO gonna disagree with my picks. I can't really say that I have one definitive example for that very same reason, so, I'll give it my best shot (or should I say shots):

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: I think this game is the closest to a cold splash of reality to those who say "Mario has no story". This was seriously one of the first games (other than Ocarina of Time) where I seriously cared about the story. It probably wasn't special, but the sense of intrigue as you get deeper into the past of Rogueport and the secrets of the underground, I don't know, it was just the most involving thing I ever played as a kid. And it also had a plethora of funny situations, some of them even satirizing the other Mario games. Just to clarify, I never played the first Paper Mario, so I can't say anything about that one.

Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon: It's gotta be one of the most content-packed platformers I've ever seen. There's the normal platforming missions, there's the parts that involve flying and taking down targets by spitting fire, there are even Doom-like sections in which the player controls a monkey with a laser gun, there's parts with rocket launchers. You could say it was the PlayStation's answer to Banjo-Kazzoie/Tooie.

TLOZ: The Wind Waker: Yeah, posting in a Zelda fansite forum and not putting a Zelda game is kinda off, isn't it? My pick is Wind Waker. I just find things in it that the other Zeldas don't have. The bigest overworld (well, to me, it felt like it was), I also felt weird having played OoT and seeing that same Hyrule flooded. Am I the only one who felt like that? *coughnerdcough*

I'll probably add some more at some point, so don't take these as my definitive picks.

Last edited:

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
This is a tough one...
I'm caught between Monster Hunter Tri and No More Heroes.

Monster Hunter Tri (T): I loved this game because it had an awesome story and great multiplayer. Its one of those games were you have to really think about the monster your going to fight and decide on what type of weapon/armor to bring. It had a huge selection of weapon and weapon classes and it just felt so rewarding to finally defeat a monster you've been having trouble with. The online is an amazing way to meet people and learn new stratigies and it also lets you fight some of the monsters early so you can get an idea of how hard its going to be when your playing solo.

No More Heroes (M): This was the game that the Wii needed to prove to everyone that it wasn't just a system for kids. It had everything, blood, intense violence, sex, strong language, and humorous characters such as Travis Touchdown. It had f***ing lightsabers for crying out loud! You could do what you wanted, when you wanted. The story is engaging and swinging away at bosses never felt better when you saw them take their finale breath. The sequal's just as good, but I'd recomend playing this one first.

I don't know which ones better. I'll make up my mind eventually.

MW7

I'll make the distinction between my favorite games and the best games ever.

My favorite games would be
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Mario 64
5. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
6. Super Mario Sunshine
7. Banjo Kazooie
8. Donkey Kong 64
9. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
10. Hitman: Blood Money (Yeah that's right, I play non-nintendo games too suprisingly)

I'd say the greatest games ever are
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Pokemon (Red and Blue)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Goldeneye 007
7. The Legend of Zelda
8. Super Mario Galaxy (I'd say the first but the second was better reviewed)
9. Banjo Tooie (or Banjo Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64; they're all basically the same game anyway)
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Honorable Mention: Tetris and Pacman (I kinda forgot they existed when I was doing the rankings)
(IMO the first 6 games on my list are examples of gaming perfection so the order can be shuffled)

Note: I only included games I've played on these lists. If you're wondering why a Nintendo fanboy's list lacks Metroid games, it's because I've never played one but plan on playing all of them eventually. I have only played one game on a Sony console, but I do have a lot of Xbox 360 games that I play extensively. My list is very platform and adventure heavy so that is a strong bias I have. I've played Halo 2 and 3, as well as each of the last 3 CODs. While those shooting games are very popular and I enjoyed them, I just don't think they even come close to being even a tenth as good as the only shooting game on my list Goldeneye 007. Also I've put well over 200 hours into TES: Oblivion, but I'd say it falls just short of being on my list. Also the only Final Fantasy game I've played is the first on the NES and I just don't like it.

Last edited:

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
This bias-ism is kinda annoying. My favorite game EVER is Final Fantasy X. This game is so good that even the people at gamestop who reviewed it online all gave it a 10 in every category. All except one person who gave it a 1 but those are trolls, you cant stop them from happening. It is just the perfect rpg.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
This bias-ism is kinda annoying. My favorite game EVER is Final Fantasy X. This game is so good that even the people at gamestop who reviewed it online all gave it a 10 in every category. All except one person who gave it a 1 but those are trolls, you cant stop them from happening. It is just the perfect rpg.

Everyone is going to be biased. What is best and not will always be a matter of opinion. There is no one opinion deemed the "right" one. I've never tried Final Fantasy X, so I don't know how it is compared to the Final Fantasy game I *have* tried, which was VII. I bought it for my PSone becase I had heard so many great things about it. I ended up taking it back the very same day I bought it because waiting my turn during combat and picking my attacks from a menu just isn't my kind of gaming. Maybe the gaming style has changed since then, and X really is a game that I would find enjoyable. But if it's not, does my opinion suddenly count less, because I go against the many people who do think it's the best game ever?

I

imthewindfish

As for the GREATEST game ever, the general consensus is probebly ocarina of time. my favorite games are halo CE and the elder scrolls IV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom