• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess? Or Skyward Sword?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
L

Link22647

It is a tough call, because both are tremendous Wii games, but they both definatley have their pro's and con's. Twilight Princess has a huge amount of content. If you beat the game 100%, and look back you see your map is huge, and you have so many items. In Skyward Sword it had alot of areas too explore, but nothing compared to Twilight Princess! Also Twilight Princess' mini games, and side quests seemed a whole lot more fun to me. Maybe, because there was just alot more of them in Twilight Princess.The graphics were alot better in Twilight Princess as well. I think what Nintendo did alot better with Skyward Sword that they didn't do very well with Twilight Princess is make the dungeons, and bosses more exciting. In Skyward sword I loved the dungeons, and bosses. They had puzzles, the dungeons didn't take very long to defeat, and you would get a boss worth fighting when you do defeat the dungeon. In Twilight Princess I thought the dungeons were very loathesome. Twilight Princess' dungeons had so many rooms you don't know what to do with, it would sometimes take a really long time to beat, and then there's a super easy boss at the end. The bosses were way too easy in Twilight Princess! You should want to go to a dungeon, not dread going to dungeons. A perfect example is the Lakebed temple in Twilight Princess. What made Skyward Sword such a unique game is the gameplay with the wii motion plus. It was awesome getting to weild around you sword as if you were realy holding one. It's a really good connection to you, and the protagonist of the game, Link. One thing I thought was annoying with the wii motion plus is having to re-calibrate it over and over and over again whenever you felt it was off synch. There is another thing about Skyward Sword that caught my attention progressing through the game that I loved is Skyward Sword brings back memories. Like the boat at the Lanayru sand sea reminded me of Phantom Hourglass, and Windwaker. The roller coaster tracks at the Ship yard reminded me of Spirt tracks in a way. The gate of time reminded me of Ocarina of time. It brings in a whole bunch of concepts from other Zelda titles and blends it in to Skyward Sword which I thought was a realy great idea. You are getting a portion taste of some other Zelda games. I'm not going to say which one I think overall is better. I was just pointing out some things about the two games I thought should be mentioned. You guys compare the two games. Look at the pros and cons.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
Skyward Sword.... that was tough though.

Reasons:
Skyward Sword's "water temple(s) were fun. I really enjoyed all the dungeons in in SS! ... all but going to Skyview twice -_-
I played Skyward Sword with a friend on the phone... yes it sounds stupid but when I play this game later on it'll be funny because I'll be thinking of jokes we made.
All I can say... Debbie was SO much better than Zant. He always did something funny, Zant sounded like some EVIL madman but then turned out to be... a dancing king (but Debbie stole that title because of that troll dance thing he did towards the end of the game xD)

My 4th reason.... Groose. I hated him at the start of the game... but he's now one of favorite characters. He has like... 6 themes I'm SERIOUS!

Why I might have choose TP over SS
Silent. realms. *shiver*

sorry if there are grammer/spelling errors. My brain is dead. yay D:

Before I directly reply to your question, I would like to correct several misconceptions you possess.

Twilight Princess has a lot of items but they weren't used particularly well especially the spinner as well as dominion rod.

Also, Skyward Sword definitely had better graphics than Twilight Princess. Grittier look =/= better graphics. Twilight Princess was in fact arguably more pixelated. Skyward Sword's artystyle, which combined the best of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, effectively circumvented the Wii's technical limitations.

My last point here is that even though Twilight Princess's dungeons had more rooms than Skyward Sword's doesn't necessarily mean they were larger. Starting from the Ancient Cistern, Skyward Sword's dungeons were some of the largest and most complex in franchise history. Skyward Sword also did not suffer from cramped corridors and tiny rooms. Nintendo was ingenious to implement large expansive rooms, which especially payed off in the Lanayru Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern, and Fire Sanctuary.

In regards to sidequests, both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword paled in comparison to earlier titles such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the Wind Waker. These tasks often seemed superfluous and the reward for completing them was not worthwhile.

Overall, I would argue Twilight Princess is the better game. I'll give it to Nintendo for creating a more varied title with Skyward Sword, however, it fell victim in a few areas that have always been franchise strong points especially the overworld. The sky in particular felt very barren whereas the three main regions below were loose and disjointed. For all its flaws, Twilight Princess was not only a truer Zelda game but also a better one. And yes, the love sidestory affairs at the beginning as well as Zan't craze just before his demise are forgiven.

MW7

Not a tough decision for me. I definitely prefer Skyward Sword to Twilight Princess by a huge margin. If I have to say which is the better game, I'd go with Skyward Sword as well. For more information here's my Zelda report card for the two of them. Keep in mind that I'm well aware that criteria like music, story, graphics, and controls aren't there because I really don't care about any of those.

Twilight Princess
1. Dungeons- A-
- There were a ton of dungeons, and none were really complete duds. Nothing really reached the heights of the dungeons of Ocarina of Time or Majora’s Mask, but the dungeons were consistently good and plentiful. The dungeons were also noticeably long for the series, and this game started the new tradition (the one I actually like) of having nontraditional dungeons with the Snowpeak Ruins (except actually it started with Jabu Jabu in OOT, so TP just restarted this).
2. Exploration- C
- The game goes out of its way to force you on a particular path so you are pretty limited as to where you can go until a little after you complete the third dungeon. After that you can do as you please in the overworld and find secrets, but inexplicably the game is linear in places in which it doesn’t even make sense. The one thing I loved about this game though was the lantern caves.
3. Puzzles- B
- The puzzles were pretty good overall with some particularly confusing parts in the Lakebed Temple and some of the later dungeons. The stone guardian puzzle will always stick out as one of the hardest in the series.
4. Difficulty- C+
- The game was harder than Wind Waker, but that’s about all it had going for it. The hidden skills made combat very easy, and the puzzles can’t make up the difference entirely.
5. Sidequests- B
- For a game focusing on dungeon count, Twilight Princess had some pretty good sidequests. Poe hunting and finding golden bugs could take some serious time, and there was always the Cave of Ordeals to keep you busy.
6. Items- B+
- The game had some real innovations like the clawshots (not a hookshot rip-off in my book) and the spinner. The items probably could have been used more often outside of their respective dungeons to make things less predictable, but the game is what it is.
7. Overworld- C-
- The overworld is aesthetically pleasing and had some good secrets, but it just is way too linear. I also have to talk about the in-between dungeon quests which IMO were the most dreadful the series has ever had. I enjoyed Gerudo Desert and snowboarding on Snowpeak, but other than that the time spent outside dungeons was pure torture for me. The tears of light quests are quite possibly my least favorite part of the entire game, and I didn’t appreciate how long they were or how there were three of them.
8. Replay Value- C
- The game has some good moments that make you want to play through the game again (like Sumo Wrestling- forgot to mention that as one of the parts I liked above), especially the dungeons. However, the game is super linear and much of the game isn’t too great, so I don’t think it’s worth playing all the way through again. I spent my most recent winter vacation creating save files at each of the dungeons in the game (across four memory cards) so that I can play through Snowpeak Ruins or the Lakebed Temple without sitting through the torture of the tears of light quests again.

Overall Grade- C+

Skyward Sword
1. Dungeons- A-
- The dungeons were all pretty good for the most part. The multiple themes made the dungeons unpredictable at times which is a huge plus. The only thing that bothered me was that the dungeons were almost all shorter than the ones in Twilight Princess. The Earth Temple in particular is freakishly short. On my third playthrough I timed myself and made it to the boss room in 15 minutes. It’s not as bad as the Great Deku Tree of OOT, but is probably the second shortest 3d dungeon ever. Sky Keep’s concept was great, and I loved how nonlinear it was.
2. Exploration- B
- You have all of Skyloft and the sky to explore right from the start. There’s not a lot to do in Skyloft right away, but you gain more possibilities each time you return from a dungeon. The sky is fairly barren, but is aesthetically pleasing at least. The surface sections always start off extremely linear, but eventually open up, and you can explore their secrets.
3. Puzzles- B+
- This game had some excellent puzzle concepts but was never very difficult. The timeshift stones were commonly used but never felt stale because they were just that awesome. The concept of the final dungeon was pure genius.
4. Difficulty- B-
- Combat took some getting used to, but after awhile was second nature. The puzzles in the game were definitely not amongst the harder ones in the series.
5. Sidequests- A
- The gratitude crystals sidequest was a less lengthy version of the bombers’ notebook in Majora’s Mask. The game also introduced Goddess Cubes and the corresponding chests. I thought retrieving the chests was a little tedious, but the rewards were usually very good. The boss rush was also a nice feature.
6. Items- A-
- The beetle was pretty cool as were the mogma mitts. I really liked the upgrade system, and the shield meter and adventure pouch innovations didn’t bother me. Also I appreciated how the items were useful outside of their respective dungeons.
7. Overworld- B-
- The sky was pretty barren and could have benefitted from more things like Pumpkin Landing. The surface had tons of great puzzles built into the environment, but much of the game felt needlessly linear to me. I really don’t like how Skyward Sword carried on the unlocking of new areas (with the tablets in SS) from the two DS games.
8. Replay Value- C+
- The second quest isn’t anything new, but the challenge is nice. The game is pretty linear so playing through the game again is like watching a movie again. There are some pretty well hidden things though so you might not find everything in one playthrough.

Overall Grade- B

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think the graphics are something you can argue about and is a matter of opinion. I personally found the graphics in TP not necessarily better but more realistic looking. The graphics in SS were different and brighter overall. But this is a simply yes they are/no they are not question which is based on opinion.
They took the game to a new level compared to TP. There were more challenges like the silent realms and the dragon quests. In SS your wii controls are more used because you actually had to make more moves yourself then in TP. No simply z-target and hit which made it more realistic.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
This is really hard to say. I'm going to have to consider a lot of factors before I decide. Both are really amazing games, my two favorites.

First factor: Graphics.
Both games had very nice graphics that matched the overall style of the game. TP's more realistic style fits the dark theme of the shadow-infested game, and SS's more windwaker-like style fits the lighter, brighter theme of the sky-placed game. Although I like SS's graphics, I think TP wins this category, I favor how the people and the world look here.

Second Factor: Gameplay.
Now, I have to make it clear that I own the gamecube version of TP, not the Wii version. So I basically must compare the gamecube controls to the wii controls. Gamecube is just pressing a button to make Link do something, while Wii is doing it yourself by swinging the wiimote. The only downside to the Wii way of doing things, is that I had to recalibrate the remote often, when the controls would get off. That was annoying. But I think it was still really cool, so I think SS takes this category.

Third Factor: Plot/Characters.
I think this is going to be another difficult category. Both plots were brilliantly played out, with characters that added to the emotion and the beauty of the game. These two games display emotion better than any other Zelda game has in the past. In TP, Colin's admiration for Link, Ilia's rough but still loving affection for Link, the deceased Zora Queen's love for Prince Ralis... there's just so much displayed that makes the game feel so real, like I'm a part of it. But this is the same in SS. Link and Zelda's strong friendship, Zelda and Impa's bond, Fi and Link's bond... especially in the last cutscene. I cried when people were saying goodbye. But that was so amazing, and I think it was a beautiful way to end the game, as much as I would have loved everyone to stay together. (: But for the plot - TP's plot is at first to restore Link back to his normal self and to help Midna take down Zant, and then grows into more - also to saving Hyrule from the shadow plague, and protecting those he cares about. SS's plot at first is to find Zelda and bring her back, and then it's to seal the Imprisoned and stop Ghirahim. Although SS did a wonderful wonderful job in this category, I think TP takes it.

Fourth Factor: Music.
The music of TP was beautiful and mysterious, but still creepy and dramatic when it needs to be, which is a good thing. (: But it still can't compare to the music of SS, which made me smile every time we went back to the Isle of Songs, and was completed with Fi's movement and the temporary changes in scenery while Link played. I love the background music, all of it. The music for when Link is flying, when Link is in the knight academy, when Link is in Faron Woods... I love it. SS takes this category.

Fifth Factor: Dungeons/Obstacles.
A common complaint with TP is that it's dungeons were easy. Well, even so, the dungeons were still amazing, in my opinion. They explored so many different environments and enemies and puzzles. I love the dungeons of TP, truly. The dungeons of SS were really good, but I don't think they compare, in all honesty. They were pretty easy too, but they don't have the same charm. But, I think this was done purposely. I don't think SS was intended to be like that. The focus of TP was more on the dungeons, while the focus of SS was more on other things, such as the silent realms and sidequests. But comparing the dungeons anyway, TP was better in that aspect. But now comparing obstacles. Obstacles being things he had to get through that WEREN'T dungeons. in TP, things such as getting the chariot across the field of monsters and following scents. in SS, fighting the imprisoned down, silent realms, and carrying the basin of water up the volcano. SS had more of these obstacles because it's focus wasn't as much on the dungeons like TP's was. So I think SS was better in the obstacle aspect. Although this was really hard to choose, I think SS takes this category.

SS won three categories and TP won two. So, even though TP is a BRILLIANT game and I love it dearly, it looks like SS is the overall champion, which is an AMAZING game as well. (:

Purple_Rupee

They call me Ammi
Skyward sword definitely. Although I did like twilight princess's monsters more so then skyward sword's, as well as I preferred twilight princess's link as well he had definition to him but not so much that he looked to realistic, if that makes sense.

Overall I like the idea of manual sword play as well and upgrading. I suppose that's what sells me about certain games, I like to be able to customize.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword, no question. Everywhere TP fell short, SS shined. And then some. Literally everything about SS was better than TP. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. It's just not logical.

By the way, are you suggesting TP had more overall content than SS? If that's so, I'm a bit surprised. SS has almost twice the content TP does.

Skyward Sword, no question. Everywhere TP fell short, SS shined. And then some. Literally everything about SS was better than TP. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. It's just not logical.

By the way, are you suggesting TP had more overall content than SS? If that's so, I'm a bit surprised. SS has almost twice the content TP does.

What exactly do you define by content? Twilight Princess certainly had more dungeons as well as various nooks and crannies in the overworld to explore. If you're taking Hero Mode into account for Skyward Sword, that was only an artificial lengthening of the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
What exactly do you define by content? Twilight Princess certainly had more dungeons as well as various nooks and crannies in the overworld to explore. If you're taking Hero Mode into account for Skyward Sword, that was only an artificial lengthening of the game.

Content is everything in a game. That means everything from story to side-quests, which SS had plenty of. TP lasts about 40-50 hours in a 100% runthrough. SS's story alone is about 35-40. Overall, it takes most people about 70-75 to complete the game in its entirety. I don't see how you can say TP has more content, especially since "more dungeons and nooks and crannies" doesn't equal more content.

Content is everything in a game. That means everything from story to side-quests, which SS had plenty of. TP lasts about 40-50 hours in a 100% runthrough. SS's story alone is about 35-40. Overall, it takes most people about 70-75 to complete the game in its entirety. I don't see how you can say TP has more content, especially since "more dungeons and nooks and crannies" doesn't equal more content.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

SS's story is solely longer due to meaningless padding, which Twilight Princess was largely free of after its beginning.

Also, sometimes it's better to have quality over quantity. Skyward Sword felt like a loose patchwork and had many ideas which worked earlier on the handheld front but should never have been converted to the console format.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I liked the more realistic Graphics approach in TP, the hybrid between TP & WW in SS was pretty bad. They shouldn't have mixed the two but instead just went one or the other. The story in TP outclasses SS in the first parts of the game, Then it starts failing. SS has a very good strong storyline that didn't break, although the "Overworld is a dungeon" - concept of SS was pretty disappointing. TP has much more beatuiful scenery, SS has just monsters and clouds. Gameplay wise I'm gonna have to choose TP aswell, I didn't like the bird flying, even the sailing in WW was much more interesting IMO, In TP you have the giant Hyrule field and Epona, The amount of items you had was also fun but too bad they came pointless after you finished the game. The controls are way better in TP than SS, I like the old school button mashing to kill enemies instead of motion controls.

So TP wins for me, SS has the better story but TP has better controls, Realistic graphics and feels more like 2Zelda" than SS does.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Where are you getting these numbers from?

From personal experience and people I've talked to, as well as people on the forums.

SS's story is solely longer due to meaningless padding, which Twilight Princess was largely free of after its beginning.

TP had plenty of padding throughout the whole game. It had two fetch quests to get to the third dungeons of the two halves of the games and featured roaming across the land to get a single item a few times.

Also, sometimes it's better to have quality over quantity. Skyward Sword felt like a loose patchwork and had many ideas which worked earlier on the handheld front but should never have been converted to the console format.

I don't see how that has anything to do with content... And what are you talking about? Plenty of the things SS did were completely original to itself and would only work in the 3D format. Specifically the Wii MotionPlus.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I liked both, but SS was lovely to look at for me, although I do tend to prefer the more realistic style of TP. As a wii game, I think that TP's controls weren't that great. I loved the 1:1 motion. I enjoyed some more challenging enemies, and the dungeons that had a lot of overworld puzzles before them. I liked the way you could get treasure from the Goddess cubes. The bosses were good, and the items were pretty well used for the most part. The story I thoroughly enjoyed, and it was really motivating. The ending was great, and the fight was very climatic. I enjoyed the character design and expression, as well as the cinematic air of the game. SS is my favorite Zelda game ever.

I genuinely can not believe there is even a debate about his. In my mind, Skyward Sword is a 10 and Twilight Princess is a 2. I mean to say, Skyward Sword is five times better than Twilight Princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom