• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess? Or Skyward Sword?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I have someting to add! I played through Skyward Sword 3 times in a row without touching any other Zelda games, then I went back and played Wind waker, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Twilight Princess. The two first titles were still great, but Twilight Princess (Wii version) just seemed a little unpolished, and that it had a little dusty quality to it compared to Skyward Sword. I don't know if the Gamecube version is like this, but ewwwwww!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't see how you can completely shoot down someone's opinion about a game's length based solely on anecdotal evidence. You didn't even try to be scientific (which is fine if you are just expressing an opinion but you defended yourself when someone questioned your statistic and it took two replies to admit you essentially made up the statistic). Skyward Sword definitely has more content, but your numbers are very biased. I, having no life, decided to come up with an estimate of the average amount of time people on these forums took to complete SS. I took 38 numbers in a sample from this thread (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f54/how-long-28886.html) and averaged them. The only number I excluded was the one someone jokingly said 999 hours (I also converted a regular + hero mode time of 91 into 46), and I came up with an average of 57 hours. IIRC there was a report that the average person played TP for 48 hours. So SS is longer than TP IMO but not nearly by the margin you have been stating.

Completing Skyward Sword in just story or 100%?

No I don't claim TP to be the BETTER out of the two. I said I LOVE TP more. Even when SS has more content etc I still LOVE TP more. There are games you simply love no matter what and even though many people don't like it I do LOVE TP much.

You mean SHE ;) And you hit the nail on it's head here! I never said I thought TP was better, I just like it more

I understand how you can love a game that is, by technical standards, less-superior than another, but you still didn't answer me question. Please explain to me why you love Twilight Princess more than Skyward Sword.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I understand how you can love a game that is, by technical standards, less-superior than another, but you still didn't answer me question. Please explain to me why you love Twilight Princess more than Skyward Sword.

For the same reason why many love OoT. It is epical to me. I love the darkness, the final battle, the music and could spend hours in Zora's Domain or Lake Hylia. It is just the feeling in general why I love it so much. Maybe because it was the first Zelda game on the wii I bought and finished. I discovered the world of Zelda late (in 2008) and maybe that's why I cherish it so much.

Like JJ said. It is a personal preference and nothing more.

MW7

Wasn't that report the average amount of time people had spent playing TP, not the average playthrough? As in the amount of time the disk had actually been in the console and running. In which case I'd say it's safe to assume that the average playthrough of the game is far shorter than this 48 hours as not many people will stop playing before at least one playthrough and many more continued on for multiple playthoughs.
Yeah I think that's right. I would guess now that it probably is less than 48 hours, but I can't say for absolute certainty. In addition to the many variables that would increase the time there would be the possibility that someone never played the whole game so that could bring it down. For instance people who played their friend's game for a couple hours or rented it once and never finished it. So I guess my point is that it is highly likely that the average person spent less than 48 hours on TP. Now that you pointed that out, I realize that the 48 hours can't be compared to the number I came up with.
Completing Skyward Sword in just story or 100%?
I looked over the thread again and it's a mix of both. So I have no idea.
Content is everything in a game. That means everything from story to side-quests, which SS had plenty of. TP lasts about 40-50 hours in a 100% runthrough. SS's story alone is about 35-40. Overall, it takes most people about 70-75 to complete the game in its entirety.
Sorry, now that I think about it again this isn't so different from what I would say the range is. I apologize for being so harsh before, but I just strongly disagreed with your original post that SS has nearly twice the content of TP. If I had to guess the average length of of a TP 100% run is probably about 43 hours, SS story alone is about 35 hours, and SS 100% is about 65 hours. So I'd say on a first playthrough a TP 100% run is almost certainly longer than a SS story only run, but a SS 100% run is probably between 1.15 and 1.65 times as long as a TP 100% run. This really is inexact though. The times reported in that thread I used had a range of times from 29 to 138 hours for first playthroughs of SS. IIRC there were first playthroughs of TP over 100 hours as well.

I'm really biased on the short side of SS though because I'm on pace to finish the game in under 15 hours on my 3rd playthrough. Plus my first playthrough of TP actually took longer than my first playthrough of SS, and that was with a guide for TP (partially), without a guide for SS, and I was much closer to 100% on SS. Time to completion is really dependent on the player. But I do think it's basically inarguable that SS doesn't have at least as much content as TP on basis of it being the newer game alone. They wouldn't have put less material in the new game than in the predecessor. It's weird though that TP does have many measurable aspects that are "greater" than SS such as number of dungeons, items, heart pieces, and provinces. Still SS has more overall content.

Last edited:
I don't see how this doesn't make sense to you. It's about personal preferences. It's pretty simple, really.

It is simple, and like I said before, I understand how it's her personal preference. Is it a crime to simply want to know why she likes Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword? I hate Twilight Princess, so I always enjoy hearing what people like about games that I hate so I can understand the game from multiple perspectives. I try not to be so narrowminded.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It is simple, and like I said before, I understand how it's her personal preference. Is it a crime to simply want to know why she likes Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword? I hate Twilight Princess, so I always enjoy hearing what people like about games that I hate so I can understand the game from multiple perspectives. I try not to be so narrowminded.

If you're trying to not be narrow-minded, you should respect others personal preferences and not treat yours like they should be everyone else's. Just because you hate TP doesn't mean others don't. Hell, I liked TP way more than I did OoT -- it was my favorite game ever until SS -- but I never once considered TP the better of the two.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。

I love Twilight Princess more than Skyward Sword, by a long shot! I know Twilight Princess is actually quite bad compared to it, but I love it so much, you could say it has a special place in my heart... Are you even more confused now?

If you're trying to not be narrow-minded, you should respect others personal preferences and not treat yours like they should be everyone else's. Just because you hate TP doesn't mean others don't. Hell, I liked TP way more than I did OoT -- it was my favorite game ever until SS -- but I never once considered TP the better of the two.

I don't understand how you're not comprehending what I was asking her. It was a simple question and your blowing it way out of context. When did I ever state that since I think Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess everyone should comply to my opinion? I beg you to quote me where I said that. I also beg you to quote me on where I directly said, or even implied, that I don't have respect for her opinion? I simply wanted to know what she loved about Twilight Princess, that's all. I never asked her to prove to me how Twilight Princess is better than Skyward Sword, just to simply give her opinion on what she loved about it because until then she never had.

@Cuju: Like I said before, I never was confused in the slightest. The Wind Waker is by all technical means less of a game than Skyward Sword, or even Twilight Princess, yet I love that game more than both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I understand how you can have a personal preference towards a game that is technologically weaker than another. I feel like a broken record repeating myself, but for some reason people think it's a crazy idea for me to ask somebody what they like about Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't understand how you're not comprehending what I was asking her. It was a simple question and your blowing it way out of context. When did I ever state that since I think Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess everyone should comply to my opinion? I beg you to quote me where I said that. I also beg you to quote me on where I directly said, or even implied, that I don't have respect for her opinion? I simply wanted to know what she loved about Twilight Princess, that's all. I never asked her to prove to me how Twilight Princess is better than Skyward Sword, just to simply give her opinion on what she loved about it because until then she never had.

I take it I misunderstood what you were trying to say. My apologies.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would say that Skyward Sword comes out on top. I liked how it captured the goofy feeling of Wind Waker while still having the seriousness of Ocarina of Time. I enjoyed exploring the lands around the dungeons as much as the dungeons themselves, it felt like I was really exploring two areas that were interrelated.

Twilight Princess was too dark for me, and I felt like the story was a bit too focused on one character. I did enjoy the game, but I just had a lot more fun with Skyward Sword. This is in spite of the fact that I dislike motion controls and love the GCN controller, so I'd say that's a pretty big deal.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Twilight Princess was too dark for me, and I felt like the story was a bit too focused on one character. I did enjoy the game, but I just had a lot more fun with Skyward Sword. This is in spite of the fact that I dislike motion controls and love the GCN controller, so I'd say that's a pretty big deal.

The motion controls ruined SS for me, it took the zelda feeling away for me, The GCN version of TP was much more fun playing through although had a much shorter playthrough since TP is teh easiest Zelda game out there after WW. SS proved to be more of a challenge due to Hero Mode & the controls.. SS is the overall better game I guess but it didn't live up to my personal expectations, controls are bad, the graphics were a hybrid between WW & TP and storyline was nothing special hence why I like TP more.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator

@Cuju: Like I said before, I never was confused in the slightest. The Wind Waker is by all technical means less of a game than Skyward Sword, or even Twilight Princess, yet I love that game more than both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I understand how you can have a personal preference towards a game that is technologically weaker than another. I feel like a broken record repeating myself, but for some reason people think it's a crazy idea for me to ask somebody what they like about Twilight Princess.

I didn't see your question till you asked me again. Because this thread was about SS vs TP I thought I give some opinions about the difference between the two but never thought about a reason why I loved TP so much since I wrote that in the TP thread. But you were free to ask. I answered your question once I read it. No offense taken here ;)

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Wind Waker is better than both of them anyway :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom