• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess? Or Skyward Sword?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I genuinely can not believe there is even a debate about his. In my mind, Skyward Sword is a 10 and Twilight Princess is a 2. I mean to say, Skyward Sword is five times better than Twilight Princess.

I genuinely can not believe that there is even a debate about this. In my mind, Twilight Princess is a 10 and Skyward Sword is a 2..

See what I did there? :P

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I genuinely can not believe that there is even a debate about this. In my mind, Twilight Princess is a 10 and Skyward Sword is a 2..

See what I did there? :P

SeeWhatYouDidOwl.jpg

Oh, OK. I thought you were actually giving TP a 2/10 for a moment. XD

Actually I was. I would rather play virtually any other game than Twilight Princess. It's not even all of the things that are actually wrong with it that make me loathe it so much; it's the fact that it has zero charm. I mean, charm is hard to qualify, but I just feel like I'm rushing through for the sake of getting done when I play Twilight Princess. I never felt like that in Skyward Sword. I just enjoyed the ride.

MW7

Content is everything in a game. That means everything from story to side-quests, which SS had plenty of. TP lasts about 40-50 hours in a 100% runthrough. SS's story alone is about 35-40. Overall, it takes most people about 70-75 to complete the game in its entirety. I don't see how you can say TP has more content, especially since "more dungeons and nooks and crannies" doesn't equal more content.
From personal experience and people I've talked to, as well as people on the forums.

I don't see how you can completely shoot down someone's opinion about a game's length based solely on anecdotal evidence. You didn't even try to be scientific (which is fine if you are just expressing an opinion but you defended yourself when someone questioned your statistic and it took two replies to admit you essentially made up the statistic). Skyward Sword definitely has more content, but your numbers are very biased. I, having no life, decided to come up with an estimate of the average amount of time people on these forums took to complete SS. I took 38 numbers in a sample from this thread (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f54/how-long-28886.html) and averaged them. The only number I excluded was the one someone jokingly said 999 hours (I also converted a regular + hero mode time of 91 into 46), and I came up with an average of 57 hours. IIRC there was a report that the average person played TP for 48 hours. So SS is longer than TP IMO but not nearly by the margin you have been stating.

Last edited:
I'm going with Skyward Sword as the better out of the two games here. First off, I'd like to state that both of these games dissapointed me, especially Skyward Sword from all the hype it created. Skyward Sword caters to a very specific gamer, sort of like Majora's Mask, and the game strayed far away from the traditional Zelda standard. Change isn't bad, but I didn't care for the direction Nintendo chose to go with this game. That being said, it doesn't lose to the complete crapshoot (IMO) that is Twilight Princess. I'm simply going to focus on what I hated in Twilight Princess rather than analyzing Skyward Sword because I feel like I've done that ten times already on this forum.

My biggest beef with Twilight Princess is the overworld. I like the idea of a large surface to explore, don't get me wrong, but the only thing to explore in that world was grass. Literally, there was nothing in the overworld. God forbid if you didn't call epona because than you were really screwed. It took ten years to get from point A to point B, and they didn't give you anything to do in between! Either condense the size of the overworld so it doesn't take forever to get from town to town, or put connecting, small villages inbetween the major villages to give me something to stop by and do.

The story also peeved me off. People don't realize that The Wind Waker had a more articulate, immersive, emotional story than Twilight Princess soley because they see how The Wind Waker looks and automatically sums it up as a dumbed down game. Twilight Princesses' story was dull and shallow. They spend all this time building up Zant as a evil, intense character, and than they just blow him off in the end of the game like he was never there. I will never understand why Nintendo spent more than half the game to create such well-rounded, believable antagonist only to throw him away.

The tears of light quests also put a thorn in my spine. If they were not so long, boring, and repetitive, than maybe I would have enjoyed them. The biggest negative towards them was their length and repetitiveness, since whether or not they were "boring" is a matter of opinion. They gave you nothing to look at while you spent a half an hour collecting these tears. It was a naked fetchquest that should have had serious rework. I understand why you had to do them, and admittedly, that's what got me through this horrible experience because I was motivated to restore light to the respective areas, but they were executed so poorly it hurt. It also added an uneccesary amount of linearity to the game since you couldn't backtrack once you entered the twilight realm.

Now, you may be arguing that Skyward Sword had the Silent Realm, which was similar to Twilight Princess' tears of light quest, but they were different in one key point of you ask me. The Silent Realm quests were significantly shorter than the tears of light quest. Now, it was flawed since you only had one chance to get hit, but most of them were pretty easy that it only took two, perhaps three tries. It also added the adreniline factor since it was timed, making it more enjoyable and easyer to get through.

Now, Skyward Sword is not without its flaws as well. The overworld, main quest, and sidequests all agitated me, but it was a solid game nonetheless. Twilight Princess just had so many major flaws that stop me from enjoying that game. The only thing I actually liked about that game were the puzzles and dungeons, which isn't much.

I'm not going to vote because there's no "both" option. I honestly can't decide which game I like better no matter how hard and long I ponder it.

I will say though, that my biggest problem with SS graphics, is that the trees look just awful, and I can't stand it. Yeah, TP graphics are more pixely, but I like the artstyle better, yet SS graphic's are better overall, so I don't even know which graphics' I think are best, let alone the whole game. If TP was full HD, with no spinner, dominion rod, and with more difficulty, then it would be by far my favorite Zelda game. The main thing I like best about TP is it's medieval setting, which I prefer to SS's earlier setting.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
This video will show my feelings towards the games better than i could type:

[video=youtube;J_Y7F_2HopU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Y7F_2HopU[/video]

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Now, Skyward Sword is not without its flaws as well. The overworld, main quest, and sidequests all agitated me, but it was a solid game nonetheless. Twilight Princess just had so many major flaws that stop me from enjoying that game. The only thing I actually liked about that game were the puzzles and dungeons, which isn't much.

I think that SS & TP both have the same types of flaws but SS toned some of them down making it seem like the obvious winner. But to me the motion controls and the weird graphics style totally ruined it for me. It doesn't feel like zelda, Not even the music does. SS would've been the winner for me if they had either gone full WW cel shade or full TP realism, Mixing the two was bad and making the game motion control based was even worse and yes, I'm comparing the GC version of TP to SS.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Skyward Sword, no question. Everywhere TP fell short, SS shined. And then some. Literally everything about SS was better than TP. I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. It's just not logical.

What is not logical? There are people who think OoT is the best game ever and people who think otherwise. So there are also people who love TP more than SS. So it is in fact very logical
I personally love TP more even though I admit SS has more content, deeper storyline and a lot more to add in general. But I still love TP more

What is not logical? There are people who think OoT is the best game ever and people who think otherwise. So there are also people who love TP more than SS. So it is in fact very logical
I personally love TP more even though I admit SS has more content, deeper storyline and a lot more to add in general. But I still love TP more

You hold SS to such high esteem, yet you admit you like TP more? Why? Your opinion on this sibject isn't logical because you admit that Skyward Sword has more content, deeper storyline, and a lot more to add in general, yet you claim Twilight Princess the better out of the two.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
You hold SS to such high esteem, yet you admit you like TP more? Why? Your opinion on this sibject isn't logical because you admit that Skyward Sword has more content, deeper storyline, and a lot more to add in general, yet you claim Twilight Princess the better out of the two.

Derp!

He is saying he preffered Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword, and that he simply loved the former more, while still admitting that Skyward Sword was the techically superior game. How much you like something has nothing to do with it's quality...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No I don't claim TP to be the BETTER out of the two. I said I LOVE TP more. Even when SS has more content etc I still LOVE TP more. There are games you simply love no matter what and even though many people don't like it I do LOVE TP much.

Derp!

He is saying he preffered Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword, and that he simply loved the former more, while still admitting that Skyward Sword was the techically superior game. How much you like something has nothing to do with it's quality...

You mean SHE ;) And you hit the nail on it's head here! I never said I thought TP was better, I just like it more

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
No I don't claim TP to be the BETTER out of the two. I said I LOVE TP more. Even when SS has more content etc I still LOVE TP more. There are games you simply love no matter what and even though many people don't like it I do LOVE TP much.

You mean SHE ;) And you hit the nail on it's head here! I never said I thought TP was better, I just like it more

Oh, sorry... o_0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom