• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Nintendo Make Link Gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Yeah, okay, if all you're gonna do is grasp at straws from your own backside and derail from your own original argument, there's no reason to continue with this. Congrats on winning at nothing, Cakepan! =D

Says the guy saying that implying something makes it fact. I am not the one derailing this thread. This thread is about Link being homosexual, which imply that he has a sexuality at all. I'm saying he has no sexuality now and he never should. Your the one grasping for any argument you can get even though it's easily being shot down.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Anybody remember the ending of Adventure of Link? I mean: there was totally nothing going on behind those curtains.:right:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Says the guy saying that implying something makes it fact. I am not the one derailing this thread. This thread is about Link being homosexual, which imply that he has a sexuality at all. I'm saying he has no sexuality now and he never should. Your the one grasping for any argument you can get even though it's easily being shot down.

And congratulations on dragging me back in. *sigh* Let's break this down, shall we?

First, you said that he doesn't even have a sexuality. Then when multiple people pointed to different situations, you basically ignored them -- except for mine (which was admittedly a bad example). Then we exchanged many points, which always resulted in you outright ignoring what I actually meant and turning it into something else, which in turn led to this becoming increasingly worse. It eventually came to a point where you made two incredibly ridiculously outlandish statements.

PancakeSamurai said:
He smiled at those boys in TP so does that make him a homosexual pedophile?

This response was so far off from what I meant that it hurts. You said that Link never showed emotions in OoT despite the fact that he DOES. My response wasn't restricted to sexual orientation, but covering the game as a whole.

And, seriously, bro? Smiling? That's the best you could muster up? That's not even close to what I was getting at and you know it.

PancakeSamurai said:
They throw in a bunch of flamboyant guys too, so with that logic Link is already homosexual.

And they weren't important characters to the main plot. They were part of a side-mission and were never buddies with Link -- ever. The scenarios couldn't be any farther apart.

And yet now you try to turn what I said back on me. No. Reality doesn't work that way.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Anybody remember the ending of Adventure of Link? I mean: there was totally nothing going on behind those curtains.:right:

Implications mean nothing.

This response was so far off from what I meant that it hurts. You said that Link never showed emotions in OoT despite the fact that he DOES. My response wasn't restricted to sexual orientation, but covering the game as a whole.

And, seriously, bro? Smiling? That's the best you could muster up? That's not even close to what I was getting at and you know it.
All he does it have a blank face or smiles. So, none of his facial expression imply anything at all.

And, I was trying to make a point about how silly your point was.

And they weren't important characters to the main plot. They were part of a side-mission and were never buddies with Link -- ever. The scenarios couldn't be any farther apart.
Same with every other girl in the Zelda franchise, even Zelda. The only characters he was ever close to were just friends and only friends.

And now I'm done posting in this thread because everyone's arguments are just shots in the dark and have no evidence or explanation to back them up. :)

While representation is important, I don't think Nintendo would go in that direction. As to whether they should, I don't have any solid opinions there.

One thing that could be done is have more of the same kind of chemistry with male characters as Link does with female characters. A lot of the time, it could be interpreted either way, as friendship or as the possibility of something more. There tends to be some of this aside from the interaction with Zelda; in A Link Between Worlds, for example, I would argue that Link has some of this ambiguous chemistry with Irene; she warms up to him over time, and it could just be friendship, but there's enough there to interpret it as the possibility for more if you want. And the interactions with Ravio gave me the same sort of impression, too; he's very open and friendly, so it could just be that, but a lot of his lines could be interpreted as him having a big dumb crush on Link.

So, that's the best way to go, I think. Nothing openly stated, but the same kind of chemistry with both guys and gals, which can be interpreted however the player wants.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm also defaulting to the similar answer from the MD Black Link thread. Outright stating Link's sexuality for no reason other than publicity is a really bad move. It would also disrupt the image that's been presented of him within the series; while never being outright stated to be heterosexual (in keeping with him being an avatar for the player), it's preeeeeeeety obvious which way he leans canonically.

Now, within the games, you can technically make of Link whatever you want to. There's enough material on the side to make the case that Link may very well be like a tree with no sexual feelings whatsoever, or that he's swinging for the other team (I mean you can sleep in anybody's bed in SS, kinda suggestive there). You can also take the many advances from the girls as mere friendship. Or you can take the straight hints at face value as well. It's all up to you.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't follow.

The game is meant for kids. Or "everyone" if that suits your tastes better. They'd be lucky to get away with a rated T game if they made Link openly gay. If you think that's stupid, then fine, but that's how it is.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
This thread reminds me of the thread asking if Spider Man should be gay or not, that was posted in the mature destitution thread a year or two ago. I would say that changing the sexual orientation of a character who was previously either not directly show to have one or clearly did have one is just pointless. If your going to something like this then Stop and create a new unique character to play that roll, instead of changing something that is fine the way it is and never needed to be changed.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even though Link's sexual preference isn't really made obvious, I think we can all pin point it; he's straight or at least prefers woman.

However, I don't see the big deal. It's like whether or not we should have a gay or black Spiderman. Why do we need do we need to do this? To force equality? A cheap way to appeal to new people or make the product more morally right? I just don't see the point. Equality doesn't need to be shoved down our throats; it should happen naturally. Maybe we'll see a gay hero in mainstream gaming/entertainment one day, but yeah forcing it isn't the right way to go about it.

I wouldn't say I condemn Link being gay; I'm not a homophobe. However, I see no reason why Nintendo need to make Link gay just to force equality and/or appeal to a certain crowd.

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
NONONONONONONO

Why the... who would even..... why....?!?

Sorry if this offends anyone, but homosexuality is just plan disgusting and wrong on so many levels, even without the religion aspect.

Even if Link never has a totally romantic relationship with Zelda (Discounting SS and some of the toon Link stuff), it's pretty plain to see that he's straight.

Just no. Never. No.

Like c00l said, society is trying to shove equality down the throats of everyone. Why tarnish a symbol as epic as the Hero of Time with trying to make him to conform to what a small bit of the world thinks is morally sound?

Kirino

Tatakae
Link's sexuality if never explicitly stated, but I think it's pretty clearly implied that he's straight. Even if not, we could probably just assume he is given that it's the only "normal" option for Nintendo.

As for whether or not he should be gay, my sentiments echo JC's; I personally wouldn't mind if he was gay, and I don't mind gay protagonists or characters at all, but I don't see any point in forcing it just for the sake of it being there. Besides, it'd probably be a bad move for Nintendo considering that they'd lose a lot of their family-friendly audience (who consider homosexuality a mature subject or unsafe for children to see) and lose a lot of homophobes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom