• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link have a more fleshed out past?

Should Link have a back story?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care.

• Total voters

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
We know Link in our many Zelda games has usually been some unknown person who suddenly becomes a hero out of nowhere. Ocarina however had a bit of a deeper back story for Link about being a Hylian and how he was delivered to the forest by his mother during a time of war. This thing pleased me because it gave me a different light on our hero. However Ocarina and Majora are the only games that had this kind of back story. Every Zelda game from then on end went back to having no back story for our hero and once again making him stale aside from his expressions and motives.

So what do you think, should Link have a backstory? And what kind of backstory should he have if he is ever given one?

I mostly say for him to have a traumatic backstory that could possibly affect his motive for questing.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
well yeah it seems alot better than all the other games like I really like in OoT when they showed you as link as a kokiri which was really cool instead of starting like you did in Loz but overall I really like the idea of this thread^^

Trentino

Modern Day Warrior
I think he should have more of a backround because they do mthe same thing in almost every zelda game. and i think he should start out as a teen or adult in one game like twighlight princess

Amelie

Air Dancer
I dont mind him haveing no back story because it makes it easyer for him to just be on his way. And it leaves fans to kind of just make up what they think his back story might be ^^ It leaves kind of a mysterious thing about him ^^

I don't think that Link should have a backstory.
The point of Link is that he is a avatar for the player to imagine that they are Link.
If Link had a backstory then he would not be Link anymore.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I don't think that Link should have a backstory.
The point of Link is that he is a avatar for the player to imagine that they are Link.
If Link had a backstory then he would not be Link anymore.

What about OOT Link? He had a real backstory as a boy who lost his mother in a tragic war that took place in Hyrule long ago. He is a hylian and not the Kokiri boy we thought he was in the begining. Is he not Link now?

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
What about OOT Link? He had a real backstory as a boy who lost his mother in a tragic war that took place in Hyrule long ago. He is a hylian and not the Kokiri boy we thought he was in the begining. Is he not Link now?

exactly! I absolutely love that small backstory they gave us and I wish someday they show us more about it. Like I said in my very first post in the forums, I'd like to see an actual game of that war, maybe playing as Link's father and seeing in the end his mother deliver him to the Deku Tree.....that would be epic :kawaii:

He so should! I'd like to know more about it. I suppose leaving it blank allows us to fill it in using our own imaginations, which is the whole point of Link (we have to put ourselves in his shoes), but I don't do that, mainly because I'm a girl. I see Link as a separate person, not as myself or a "virtual" version of myself. So I do want to know how he got where he is or maybe why he feels the need to save Hyrule.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I voted yes but it´s not necessary for making a superb game (just look at LoZ and understand my point). But yes, it is always interesting with background information and knowing more about the characters (this includes also books, movies etc. and I just don´t want information about Link but also other characters of the game). In MM you got some information about various characters (mayhaps not in extreme depht) and they did it quite well.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I said no... C'mon, it would turn the game lame, and probably it would start with something like "There once was a boy..." bah... It seems fine the way it is

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I said no, for 2 reasons

1) Link is always changing. Its never the same Link, so fleshing out his backstory is striving after the wind. It would serve no purpose.

2) It removes the mystery of his character, and mystery is what keeps people interested. Part of the fun is making up your own backstory or afterstory and fleshing it out yourself. Nintendo fleshing Link out risks alienating too many gamers.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
woah this is getting instresting cause I can see the votes getting really close together and this thread was just made yesterday but I liked it I liked how you started out in kokiri village in OoT and had all these friends

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom