• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Firearms In Zelda?

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Now, a while ago when the current teaser artwork for the new Zelda Wii came out, I began researching to see what I could find in the way of spoilers or leaks.

One theme or theory that popped up a number of times was that this new Zelda would have Link in the possesion of guns, I believe this was quite a widespread rumour at the time I'm not sure. However, now I'm pretty sure that there will be no such items in the game... but do you think that there could be a time in the future when Link is carrying around guns instead of a Bow and a Boomerang?

I really hope not, it ruin the experience that I've grown up loving.
What do you all think?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think if done correctly, it could work. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a hardcore Zelda fan and love the games and the "ancientness" to the games, I just think that if done correctly or done in a side project it could work.

I think, just for fun, Nintendo should make a futuristic Zelda like the hoax "A Link To The Future" game that was all over youtube. Sure, I would still want them to make a Zelda game that takes place in the normal setting, but just because I think it would be cool to see what a Zelda game would be like in the future with guns and such, it would be cool to see that made. I know a lot of fans would hate it, but I bet anything they still play it.

People think it wouldn't work but really, all it would be doing is replacing a bow with a gun. Both items shoot projectiles from long distances. It doesn't need to be a machine gun. It could be a musket or something. A musket would take just as long to reload as a bow would (maybe even longer). It's not too big of a stretch if done correctly.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
The biggest problem with implementing a firearm, I think, is the "old-world/fantasy" feel that makes Zelda what it is. I mean, yes, they did go as far as to put in steamboats and trains, but they left out all the other industrial factors and kept the landscape believably pre-industrial and natural. It's not so much the timeframe of the game that needs to be considered as the feel. I mean, muskets and the like were around before the steamboat and train, so technologically speaking, they're perfectly viable, but I think it'd be harder to keep a Zelda feel if guns were used.

Guns just have a different connotation to them. Whereas boats and trains imply "adventure" (in a Zelda type world since their real use as trade vehicles does not apply too heavily), guns imply "excess violence" (since guns imply a lot more visible bodily harm than arrows). That's the main reason I'd never want to see firearms in Zelda; the feel would change too drastically.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, I could get on board with it as long as the sword remained his main weapon. I wouldn't really want to play a Zelda FPS. A simple gun (not automatic or machine) could be a good replacement for the bow, sort of like the bow replaces the slingshot. It would be especially interesting if it were introduced as some "ancient lost technology" or "geniuses prototype" late in the game. And maybe it could be called a "strange crossbow" or "miniature canon" rather than a gun (implying he's never seen one before). I wouldn't like it if enemies had them, though. Of course, there could also be a large kickback/noise penalty, making it less desirable than a bow in some situations.

It would go like:

"You got the Strange Crossbow! This ancient weapon shoots faster and stronger projectiles than a normal bow when used with Magic Powder and Metal Pellets. But be careful when using it, as it knocks you backwards and makes a lot of noise!"

It might even deplete your Magic Meter. Since gunpowder isn't known in Hyrule, Magic Powder must be used instead.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Xinnamin gave a wonderful explaination: Guns usually are verboten in high fantasy settings, even where later technology is present, simply because of the "feel" they give, particularly as "agents of destruction." I have an explaination in a side story for one of my own novels for why the world I wrote has *electric lighting* present but no guns ("a power , once dicovered, was thought to do more damage to the world than swords, and was sealed away." )

I can see it done with a light touch a special touch, though. My longest fan fiction to date has Link being a gunslinger being instrumental to the story - he's a swordslinger, as well, but he has a six-shooter because it's a "Western-style" new era Hyrule. In that story, his gun basically replaces the bow, but he is also given a lot to think about regarding its power to harm and kill. I remmember giving Zelda a little Derringer in that tale, too... but in the end, she wound up grabbing a bow for the final battle. However, if Nintendo actually does this sort of thing ( a full-on Western Legend of Zelda), I'm going to want royalties for myself and my co-writer.

I can see some of the more pirate-themed Legends of Zelda (if a future story is made in the Wind Waker vien) giving Link a flintlock pistol - just because pirates used those and an old-style flintlock pistol shouldn't be any more distrupting to the "archanic feel" than canons were. I'd like it to take a while to load, like loading an arrow into a bow, because pirate pitsols were hard to load, so I've read.

Perhaps a gun-type object that was magical. A magic-gun. It shoots ice-bullets or sommething like that. I could see something like that, too.

Still, I'd prefer Zelda to do what it takes to keep the high-fantasy adventure feel... not to turn into a typical gritty modern war game.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Now that I've seen of the feedback, I can actually start to visualize Link with the most archaic musket you can imagine. And to be honest it looks pretty good. Makes him look like a musketeer !

Yeah, if there were ever to be guns in Zelda they really couldn't be anything mroe than a musket or some ancient pistol.

And would have to include quite a few drawbacks just so it doesn't become some all mighty wild card.

N

Nathan

If we are talking automatic weapons, machine guns, rocket launchers: Not happening. If were talking about a pistol or musket, something to replace the bow... sure it's possible some day. There are already canon's in the game and bombs, which all involve gunpowder which is what is needed to produce a hand gun. I don't think we'll see it soon, but it is possible to see it as a Bow replacement at some point.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Seems a few people can see a primitive firearm as a possible bow replacement. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't the bow feel sort of key to Link's image, almost as much as the sword is in a way since it's almost always been his primary long range weapon. I mean, I can't help but feel that in the Zelda universe, the arrow seems to be able to do everything a musket or flintlock pistol would be able to do. The bow and arrow already has fantastic range, and if Nintendo wanted to implement a high power projectile, they could just bring back magic arrows or the Bomb Arrows (which, being a ranged explosive, already acts like a portable cannon). Maybe I just can't wrap my head around the feel of antique firearms in Zelda, but I honestly don't see why we would need them or what we would need them for with the other stuff we already have. I mean it could work in a pirate environment like Shadsie said since pirates never used arrows, but in a land based fantasy Kingdom, I just can't see it work.

S

Sage of Shadow

Yeah, what everyone else is saying. It wouldn't really have the Zelda feel if it were like that. I love the fantasy medieval feel. Although time wise maybe the series should progress from out of the Dark Ages. if it hasn't already. TP feels actually like Rennaisance but still mostly Medieval.

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
Given the existence of other technologies that exist in the Zelda universe, I think it's quite likely that we'll end up seeing Link with a gun at some point. Now, I'm not saying Link should run around carrying an AK-47, but an archaic musket is well within reason. In fact, what shadsie posted gave me something of an idea...

In that story, his gun basically replaces the bow, but he is also given a lot to think about regarding its power to harm and kill.

What if, at some point in the series, Link acquires a gun, and it is the central item of interest because of its lethality. I'm not saying that it has to be magical, but throughout recorded history, civilizations have vied for new technologies to replace the old ones; perhaps the same can be applied here.

Dunno, food for thought.

The Series wouldn't have a "Gun" because that takes it out of any possible G-Rating even though TP is M here. Even so they still need to keep the atmosphere less violent. The idea of a different projectile could always work but I feel that if firearms came in then the sword and shield get phased out, as what happened in history. A Link to the Future could work if Nintendo wanted to do something different but they are all about targetting a wider audience so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

linkman8

True and Noble
I agree with the point made that says a gun would compromise the G rating, but that doesn't really matter with Zelda, because TP is already Teen.
The thing is with firearms, is that they wouldn't want to get too far ahead of themselves. Again I return to Final Fantasy, which had high powered guns when they hadn't even made half their games yet, and that really didn't make me happy. In Zelda, I could see them MAYBE giving him a primitive musket, like a matchlock rifle or something, but no one would use it because it would take so long to reload and fire again. (The matchlock is especially bad with reload time)
Now if they gave him something a little more contemporary, that instantly returns to the "technology in Zelda" factor. No, absolutely not.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Myiamoto doesnt smoke crack. (Maybe in Mario, but not in Zelda)

Neither does Anouma...
Yes, we would like them to take chances, but firearms? They are not stupid :)
We like Zelda how it is. Swords, puzzles, etc...

Keep Zelda as it is, its how we like it.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I don't think I would like that very much.It would not feel like a Zelda game much to me.If they did that I would not be seeing me buying that game and would be the first Zelda that I havent bought.

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
Myiamoto doesnt smoke crack. (Maybe in Mario, but not in Zelda)

Neither does Anouma...
Yes, we would like them to take chances, but firearms? They are not stupid :)
We like Zelda how it is. Swords, puzzles, etc...

Keep Zelda as it is, its how we like it.

Your use of the word "we" implies that all of us want the same thing. In reality, that is as far from the truth as you can get. Don't speak for the rest of us.

I agree with the point made that says a gun would compromise the G rating, but that doesn't really matter with Zelda, because TP is already Teen.
The thing is with firearms, is that they wouldn't want to get too far ahead of themselves. Again I return to Final Fantasy, which had high powered guns when they hadn't even made half their games yet, and that really didn't make me happy. In Zelda, I could see them MAYBE giving him a primitive musket, like a matchlock rifle or something, but no one would use it because it would take so long to reload and fire again. (The matchlock is especially bad with reload time)
Now if they gave him something a little more contemporary, that instantly returns to the "technology in Zelda" factor. No, absolutely not.

Realize that if they made the reload time so long that the weapon was practically unusable, it would be devastating from a gameplay perspective. Argue all you want, gameplay is a very important factor in a game. I'd prefer it if the devs kept it as versatile and unbroken as possible.

Basically, realism can be sacrificed for the sake of improved gameplay.

Also, flintlock > matchlock. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom