• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the Controls Faulty?

MW7

Oh... Oh, great. D: So if I use the gold Zelda Wiimote on a somewhat old Wii, will it malfunction more? :\

I don't remember exactly what version number my Wii is, but it's good enough to read Brawl (dual-sided disc) perfectly 95% of the time.

But, well, at least it sounds like the controls should be fine. The occasional malfunction shouldn't be enough to mess with the gaming experience too much, right?

I have a Wii from launch day, I once lent it to my sister's family and it dropped to the floor from 3 feet up, and it still works perfectly. I just got Skyward Sword today, and the controls have been perfect for my first 5 hours of gameplay. Like people have said you occasionally have to reset to the center when you're doing something like aiming the slingshot but that's not really a result of faulty controls. IMO the controls for Skyward Sword are the greatest thing to happen to video games ever, and the controls alone make it worthwhile, let alone it being a Zelda game.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I had several problems with the controls in the beginning. The game kept registering my motions wrong (especially the stab motion), but I think I solved the problem by placing the sensor bar on a pile of dvds. Now the controls work much better and it rarely makes a wrong move.

However, my nunchuck still causes problems. After a battle, Link starts running in a fixed direction which means I have to plug out the nunchuck and plug it back in. For some reason it keeps recalibrating (if that is the correct term) the control stick. It is quite frustrating when you are on a ledge and then Link just runs off even if you don't move the c stick. I guess it is time for a new nunchuck (mine is almost 5 years old now). Does anybody else have the same problem?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I had several problems with the controls in the beginning. The game kept registering my motions wrong (especially the stab motion), but I think I solved the problem by placing the sensor bar on a pile of dvds. Now the controls work much better and it rarely makes a wrong move.

However, my nunchuck still causes problems. After a battle, Link starts running in a fixed direction which means I have to plug out the nunchuck and plug it back in. For some reason it keeps recalibrating (if that is the correct term) the control stick. It is quite frustrating when you are on a ledge and then Link just runs off even if you don't move the c stick. I guess it is time for a new nunchuck (mine is almost 5 years old now). Does anybody else have the same problem?

The Nunchuk thing has nothing to do with Skyward Sword's motion controls. :) It's a common problem -- sometimes the controller would reset somehow, and whatever position the Nunchuk would be in when it starts up again would be registered as the neutral position. So if the analog stick was held to the right while your controller reset, Link would continually move to the right.

Removing the Nunchuk and then putting it back in seems to fix the problem. :D

Could you please give me your personal opinion on the controls? I mean, I fail to understand how it's possible for one person to play through the entirety of the game and praise its perfect controls while another person playing the same game will complain about how unresponsive the controls are.

Different things please different people. The folks who think the Controls are poor proberly haven't gotten used to using them just yet. My opinion, the controls are fantastic, but there not perfect. Swordplay is somewhat inaccurate, I went to do a horizontal slice and I ended up doing a vertical spin attack, I swear I never moved the nunchuk. Anyway, this isn't a really a big issue because you sort of go with the flow. Everything else that uses Motion Control is dead on, like using the slingshot or the beetle.

Those who think the controls are bad need more time to practice with them before they make a judgment like that.

Easily the best motion controls used for any Wii game. I only had a few rare moments that the sword was out of place. (Link looked rather like an idiot in those paticular moments, sorry Link!) I never had to recalibrate and my game time is now over 70hours. Skyward Sword has made me love motion controls. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom