• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are the Controls Faulty?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
So initially there was a flood of reviews coming in that all said the same thing: Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever; its controls are perfect, its storyline is amazing, basically everything about the game is great.

And then somebody gave it an 8.5. Then an 8. And finally GameSpot gave it a 7.5, and its respective review heavily stressed the flawed controls.

These reviews are so contradicting. I don't get Skyward Sword until November 30, so for the people who have played the game and have experienced it first-hand... Could you please give me your personal opinion on the controls? I mean, I fail to understand how it's possible for one person to play through the entirety of the game and praise its perfect controls while another person playing the same game will complain about how unresponsive the controls are.

...(Is it just because people are too lazy to calibrate their controller, or what? D:)

Thank you. :3

What's grey?
For me, the controls are perfect. Link does everything I want him to do, rarely anything I don't want him to do. The way I play is using the gold wiimote plus, sitting on a couch, leaning forward (I play like this half the time with any game actually), and swinging from the elbow. Flicking from the wrist doesn't work well. Sitting forward also lets me roll items easily.
-

The controls do malfunction occasionally. The frequency might be different depending on the controller or console you use. Here are the main malfunctions I found:

• When trying to use your sword to "bait" an enemy, you sometimes swing at them instead.
  • Aiming gets off-center a lot. Rectified by a "quick correct" button.
  • When riding your loftwing, flapping his wings will put you off course a bit.
  • Steering your loftwing is not easy. You'll have to frequently correct course.
  • Throwing and rolling bombs will not always be registered properly.

Some of these faults can go missed if you're careful, but they crop up with those who didn't take "how to not fail on the Wii" classes.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
The frequency might be different depending on the controller or console you use.

Oh... Oh, great. D: So if I use the gold Zelda Wiimote on a somewhat old Wii, will it malfunction more? :\

I don't remember exactly what version number my Wii is, but it's good enough to read Brawl (dual-sided disc) perfectly 95% of the time.

But, well, at least it sounds like the controls should be fine. The occasional malfunction shouldn't be enough to mess with the gaming experience too much, right?

The game has worked amazingly for me, the only time I've had a problem is when I was sitting there and just running or talking through dialogue my wiimote rested on my leg which was doing the little shaky thing that people do when they're sitting in class. This kind of messed up the calibration due to the shaking so this game is actually helping me fix my bad habits lol :P But seriously, this game has been nothing but amazing for me and what they said is right... I really can't imagine myself playing Zelda without actually swinging the sword now...

Night Owl

~Momentai
The controls are really good. I've only had to recalibrate a handful of times (mostly between switching players or long periods of playing time). It does get off center but it's an easy fix. Don't worry about the controls too much, any problems is because different people play differently (waggling being the worst habit for any motion+ game).

The controls are very hit or miss (no pun intended). I've found that many times when swinging the sword, you swing from the wrong side regardless of the direction the remote is being used. It gets pretty frustrating when you are swinging the remote accordingly and yet the attack on screen doesn't respond.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I have a new Wii and a new Wii mote, and the controls work smooth as can be for me. I never have to re-calibrate and it all feels natural and perfect on center. Occasionally I have issues doing the skyward strike because the sword won't go straight up unless a flip my wrist at an odd angle, but other than that, perfect. Some people have problems, others don't. It's quite strange, either it's perfect of off from what I hear. The best advice I would say is just keep tweaking everything till you get it right. Your censor bar, your batteries, the mote itself, moving closer to the screen.. etc..

The controls at their best are smooth, easy and not faulty at all, so I would say no.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I never re-calibrated during the middle of the game. I think the controls work just fine.

Only issue is aiming gets off-center but thats not a big deal. I noticed that you have to properly hold your remote first/aim and then press B. It will register the first position as the "center". So if you first press B and then aim, then it will go off-center.

In other words, it does not make use of the pointer but the MotionPlus itself. Luckly you can center it again and again with the down button.

The controls are fine except a little hick ups now and then, I still would have preffered a 2nd option of using the classic controller. I thought about it quite a bit and this game can totally use the classic controller without sacrifcing the motion specific gameplay.

Howver I would play a new zelda game standing on my head if thats what it takes. But I would prefer not too.

Oh... Oh, great. D: So if I use the gold Zelda Wiimote on a somewhat old Wii, will it malfunction more? :\
I'm not sure. I got my Wii on release and have a malfunction about ever hour or two of gameplay. So you might have the occasional mishap. I don't even know if I'm right. It's just a suspicion that I got because of differing statements on how well the controls work.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
No. It doesn't matter if you use a Motion Plus plug-in or the golden one. It's all Wii Motion Plus. No difference at all.

I was trying to emphasize more on the old Wii and not the golden Wiimote (since it came bundled with the limited edition... XD).

At least I know now that the controls can't be too bad...

M

milenko

the game has worked great for me so far ive only needed to calibrate it for when my controller shuts itself off lol :)

S

Skyward1614

The sword works for me, but the pointer seems to be "heavy" if you get what I mean on the file selection and the in game menu. I can't point are were I want it to go, I have to move my whole arm to get the pointer were I want it.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom