• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Am I the Only One That Hates the Final Boss?

Does Majora's Mask have a Good Final Boss?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Its good with The Fierce Deity's Mask

• Its good without The Fierce Deity's Mask

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think the final boss MM is the worst in the series. He's so easy, and one his attacks is "Moonwalk". He just feels so dumb, and in such a dark game. It's weirdness may seem in character, but its not up to quality by any means. The Fierce Deity's Mask makes it too easy, and you haven't played the game until you've played it. The kid final battle is far from satisfying, and I just wanted something that tested my skills, pushed the level of evil, or at least clearly ended the plot. I just wanted something more. Its a blemish on an otherwise perfect game.

Kirino

Tatakae
Well, of course he's easy with the Fierce Deity mask. Without it, I found him to be a pretty hard boss. Also, his childish nature and "weirdness" just make him even creepier to me, so it fits into MM perfectly.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I love majors mask final battle. I dont know what you are talking about it had many diffrent attacks. The secend form is even more crepy then the final form. The Firce Diety's mask is suposed to make it easy it is your reward for colecting all the maskes,something you mostly likly won't do on the frist time through. If you dont like it dont use it. Majora's mask was suposed to be an ambiguous game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't like MM's bosses in general. All way too easy and poorly designed. In terms of his goofiness though, I didn't mind. MM was a pretty happy goofy game in general. But man...the way he just completely stole the Skull Kid's role.......that ticked me off. They took a great villain and replaced it with a weaker one. Not ADDED...like they did in TP and ST...but replaced. And the fight was extremely easy even by Zelda standards. In normal Link form, I still find myself toying with this boss just to extend it and not make myself feel empty. I don't hate it...but it's the most disappointing final boss of the 5 3D titles, yes.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I don't like MM's bosses in general. All way too easy and poorly designed. In terms of his goofiness though, I didn't mind. MM was a pretty happy goofy game in general. But man...the way he just completely stole the Skull Kid's role.......that ticked me off. They took a great villain and replaced it with a weaker one. Not ADDED...like they did in TP and ST...but replaced. And the fight was extremely easy even by Zelda standards. In normal Link form, I still find myself toying with this boss just to extend it and not make myself feel empty. I don't hate it...but it's the most disappointing final boss of the 5 3D titles, yes.

Tp replased zant with ganondorf not added by that same logic. At least the mask was there from the beginning.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Now that I think about it, Majora's Mask is less dark and more "insane". Majora's Incarnation is proof of this with its wild screams and its ridiculous motions. I do not hat ethe boss in any capacity; I love that it is everything erratic as this means I cannot merely plan to defeat it - I have to react constantly and consistently without downtime. :)

I don't believe this is a simple case of 'replacing' a villain. From the very beginning it was made clear that the Mask was evil and corrupting over those who wear it. In this case it was the Skull Kid who was corrupted and turned into a pawn, a revelation that came very early in the game. The mask was always the main source of evil in-game.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I don't believe this is a simple case of 'replacing' a villain. From the very beginning it was made clear that the Mask was evil and corrupting over those who wear it. In this case it was the Skull Kid who was corrupted and turned into a pawn, a revelation that came very early in the game. The mask was always the main source of evil in-game.

No, this is why Majora is one of the weakest villains in the series, however cool he appears in theory. Ok, so the mask is there and you can tell that it's evil. So what? That doesn't excuse the fact that Majora doesn't reveal itself as the villain until right before the final battle. And that it has a total of like three lines. So it never made sense to me that people complain about TP's Ganondorf when for all of MM, you are supposed to believe that Skullkid is the villain until right before the final battle. The player may realize that is the mask, but it is ridiculous that Skullkid is just ditched at the last second and you are introduced to the villain literally in the final boss battle.

Majora as a villain is a really cool concept and I even like the concept of Majora's Mask and the evil entity inside. But in practice, in the game, it was executed very poorly.

Majora's boss battle is like this too. The forms and phases sound really cool and fun, but the battle was kind of empty and easy.

DarkestLink

Tp replased zant with ganondorf not added by that same logic. At least the mask was there from the beginning.

No, Ganondorf was just an addition. Zant was still there, still a villain and had not changed the established role he had since Dungeon 3. Since Dungeon 3 he, admitted to following a "God" and was an obvious follower--actually, if the Skull Kid had just been tempted by the Mask itself, I wouldn't be so upset, at least his integrity as a villain would remain. But no. Instead they changed it so he was never a villain at all, effectively replacing him rather than just adding Majora's Mask as the Bigger Bad.

I don't believe this is a simple case of 'replacing' a villain. From the very beginning it was made clear that the Mask was evil and corrupting over those who wear it.

From the beginning it was established that the POWER of the mask corrupted Skull Kid. Not the mask itself. In fact, Tael even says this right before the mask reveals it was actually the mask itself.

In this case it was the Skull Kid who was corrupted and turned into a pawn, a revelation that came very early in the game. The mask was always the main source of evil in-game.

Again, no, there was no hint whatsoever that the mask was alive and the game characters always stated it was the power that corrupted the skull kid. And this was cool. It made him a tragic villain and a pretty good one, unlike Ganondorf from tWW, which just went against his previous character. If the skull kid had at least remained a genuine villain, I wouldn't be upset. But he was replaced. Not just replaced by another villain, but by a villain with so much less potential.

Before the reveal, we had a villain hell bent on destroying Termina. Why? Because he was filled with hatred over the loss of his friends.

After the reveal, we had a villain hell bent on destroying Termina. Why? ....Just cause.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
No, Ganondorf was just an addition. Zant was still there, still a villain and had not changed the established role he had since Dungeon 3. Since Dungeon 3 he, admitted to following a "God" and was an obvious follower--actually, if the Skull Kid had just been tempted by the Mask itself, I wouldn't be so upset, at least his integrity as a villain would remain. But no. Instead they changed it so he was never a villain at all, effectively replacing him rather than just adding Majora's Mask as the Bigger Bad.

From the beginning it was established that the POWER of the mask corrupted Skull Kid. Not the mask itself. In fact, Tael even says this right before the mask reveals it was actually the mask itself.

Again, no, there was no hint whatsoever that the mask was alive and the game characters always stated it was the power that corrupted the skull kid. And this was cool. It made him a tragic villain and a pretty good one, unlike Ganondorf from tWW, which just went against his previous character. If the skull kid had at least remained a genuine villain, I wouldn't be upset. But he was replaced. Not just replaced by another villain, but by a villain with so much less potential.

Before the reveal, we had a villain hell bent on destroying Termina. Why? Because he was filled with hatred over the loss of his friends.

After the reveal, we had a villian hell bent on destroying Termina. Why? ....Just cause.
I new almost instantly the mask was going to be the final boss because of the frist flash back in the field combined with the fact that even the dark tribe feared it. I was able to pice it togeather just with what I was giveing in game.

I belive that the majoras mask is a very good villian do to symbolism. It represents the chaos of evil. It remindes me a lot of Grendal from Beowulf there was no reson for his distrution except for his hayered of man. We are never told his motives for what he dose which gives an air of uneasiness becouse you can not understand his motives and it seems like choas.

Ganondorf did not add on to the story it extremly detracted from it. Zant was being built up from the beginning then Ganadorf comes in and destroys all that build up. Ganadorf had no buissness to be included in TP.
In TWW they explained his motives. Also he had an enormous amount of time to think longer then most people live. This is a good reason. If you are refering to him going crazy at the end then think about this, you live on continsly unchageing time passby seeming not to affect you. Finally your plan is about to sucseed only to in front of you be foiled in a mater of secends.

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Without the Fierce Deity Mask, Majora is really hard. It took me multiple tries even when I had 4 fairies on each try. I enjoyed the battle, it was a good challenge (with out the Fierce Deity Mask).

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
It seems like how much people like Majora as a vaillain has a lot to do with how much foreshadowing we each picked up on individually. Like musicfan, I suspected the mask would play a larger role at some point--the focus on it from the Happy Mask Salesman, the way it jumps out at you before the title screen, the surprise from Tatl at how violent Skull Kid is becoming--so it didn't feel like the mask was suddenly replacing Skull Kid at the end, more that what I thought was lurking in the background finally revealed itself. I also found the end of the game to be deeply unsettling when I first played it as a kid. Seeing Skull Kid tossed aside like garbage, then going up into the moon and finding the meadow with the weird kids, and then the whole premise of the final battle being a "game." Combine all of that with the strange appearance, behavior, and sounds of Majora and, for me, it is a great final battle when fighting without the FD mask.

When the FD mask is on, then it becomes a joke, although I still have a lot of fun zapping Majora to death in thirty seconds. If I want to enjoy the battle aspect, I leave the mask off.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Yeah, when I face Majora, I never use the Fiercy Diety Mask to attack. Three or four hits and the next stage begins. So in about 9-12 hits, he's dead. Provided you hit him each time you attack. The only time that you may have more than 9-12 hits is if you miss Majora on the first stage, when he's flying around. Only once in a great while I'll use the Fierce Diety Mask, and that's usually only when I'm bored. But it's really a matter of opinion if you like the final boss or not.

DarkestLink

I new almost instantly the mask was going to be the final boss because of the frist flash back in the field combined with the fact that even the dark tribe feared it. I was able to pice it togeather just with what I was giveing in game.

...Please spell check.

And it said they feared its power and were worried someone would misuse it...if someone can misuse it, this heavily implies it's not alive. Otherwise, it would just do the job itself.

I belive that the majoras mask is a very good villian do to symbolism. It represents the chaos of evil. It remindes me a lot of Grendal from Beowulf there was no reson for his distrution except for his hayered of man. We are never told his motives for what he dose which gives an air of uneasiness becouse you can not understand his motives and it seems like choas.

It's Zelda, the mask isn't symbolism for anything. It's just a villain.

Ganondorf did not add on to the story it extremly detracted from it. Zant was being built up from the beginning then Ganadorf comes in and destroys all that build up. Ganadorf had no buissness to be included in TP.

Since the first time we met Zelda in Lanayru's Spring, he was built up as a follower, just like Cole. You are not presenting yourself well because you are merely giving statements without evidence. I have explained to you the change of role the Skull Kid had from villain to victim and how the mask's role changed it. You have yet to explain to me how Ganondorf destroyed Zants role. Even if you skipped every cutscene until the end and didn't realize Zant was obviously a follower, he's still a villain. Even IF Ganondorf had not be mentioned earlier, Zant would still be his own motivated villain. In the case of Majora's Mask though, it changed so the Skull Kid was NEVER a villain. Just an innocent prankster.

In TWW they explained his motives.

No. They just changed his motives. Sorta like SS changed the Master Sword origins.

Also he had an enormous amount of time to think longer then most people live. This is a good reason. If you are refering to him going crazy at the end then think about this, you live on continsly unchageing time passby seeming not to affect you. Finally your plan is about to sucseed only to in front of you be foiled in a mater of secends.

No, I mean by comparison, Ganondorf was an established villain. He was a spiteful man who wanted dominion over the world and Hyrule to be destroyed. This was not only mentioned countless times in OoT, but also in tWW. Even the Gods knew he wanted to destroy Hyrule, which is why they didn't destroy it, otherwise they would just be giving him the satisfaction. He was seen destroying and trying to destroy the land multiple times in OoT and in the backstory of tWW. The reason this character failed in tWW is because it was bound to another established character and ended up contradicting itself.

The Skull Kid was his own fresh character, with a real motive shown in the game rather than a hastily told backstory in 30 seconds. He had the potential to be one of the best villains in the entire series with his tragic history and personal reasons to destroy the land. But then they completely ruin it by saying none of it is real and then give us the weakest villain in the series next to Bellum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom