• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Am I the Only One That Hates the Final Boss?

Does Majora's Mask have a Good Final Boss?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Its good with The Fierce Deity's Mask

• Its good without The Fierce Deity's Mask

• Total voters

Musicfan

the shadow mage
...Please spell check.

And it said they feared its power and were worried someone would misuse it...if someone can misuse it, this heavily implies it's not alive. Otherwise, it would just do the job itself.

It's Zelda, the mask isn't symbolism for anything. It's just a villain.

Since the first time we met Zelda in Lanayru's Spring, he was built up as a follower, just like Cole. You are not presenting yourself well because you are merely giving statements without evidence. I have explained to you the change of role the Skull Kid had from villain to victim and how the mask's role changed it. You have yet to explain to me how Ganondorf destroyed Zants role. Even if you skipped every cutscene until the end and didn't realize Zant was obviously a follower, he's still a villain. Even IF Ganondorf had not be mentioned earlier, Zant would still be his own motivated villain. In the case of Majora's Mask though, it changed so the Skull Kid was NEVER a villain. Just an innocent prankster.

No. They just changed his motives. Sorta like SS changed the Master Sword origins.

No, I mean by comparison, Ganondorf was an established villain. He was a spiteful man who wanted dominion over the world and Hyrule to be destroyed. This was not only mentioned countless times in OoT, but also in tWW. Even the Gods knew he wanted to destroy Hyrule, which is why they didn't destroy it, otherwise they would just be giving him the satisfaction. He was seen destroying and trying to destroy the land multiple times in OoT and in the backstory of tWW. The reason this character failed in tWW is because it was bound to another established character and ended up contradicting itself.

The Skull Kid was his own fresh character, with a real motive shown in the game rather than a hastily told backstory in 30 seconds. He had the potential to be one of the best villains in the entire series with his tragic history and personal reasons to destroy the land. But then they completely ruin it by saying none of it is real and then give us the weakest villain in the series next to Bellum.

How dose one produce evidence of ones own Opinion? An opinion is not something that can be proven. You can try to convice some one that your opinion is right. This is a thread about Opinionsnot facts.
So what I made a simple mistake typeing on the Iphone so what. Dont try to tare people down for simple and easy mistakes to make.
Every story has symbolisim. In it that is what a story is is a seris of symbols. There is simple symbolisim(and common symbolisim) of good and evil, link and the Villain. Then theres the symbolisim ghat you have to find for yourself and interpret.

As for the frist part real part of your argument, there was so mutch more that they could have done with zants character. Ther was less build up to the revile that ganondorf was the real villain of TP it was not revealed untill the end of abtriers grounds. Zant went from being a villion to just a minion in one of the worst way's posible, appering to be the big bad for half the story to being a crazed whiney child.(i have not played sprit tracks past the frist temple it has the worst control scheme ive seen for a game IMO)

The mask was a constent pressence through out the game. You could feal the wide spread impact of the mask through out the game. From the poison in the swamp to the curse of Ikana.

His motives were unexplained in OoT. Unless if you provide the evidence to back it up that he had motives back then. Also what game shows that master swords origins?

Were dose it say that none of MM is real? I've seen no evidence to prove that it all is fake.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So what I made a simple mistake typeing on the Iphone so what. Dont try to tare people down for simple and easy mistakes to make.

Sorry if I'm being a grammar nazi or a snob, but it's just hard for me to read.

Every story has symbolisim.

Not really...but giving you the benefit of the doubt, I am curious of the symbolism in Pacman and Super Marios Bros--and yes those had stories...weak stories (so does Zelda) but a story nevertheless.

In it that is what a story is is a seris of symbols. There is simple symbolisim(and common symbolisim) of good and evil, link and the Villain. Then theres the symbolisim ghat you have to find for yourself and interpret.

You're delving into the realm of fanfiction at that end part. But just because someone is good or evil doesn't mean they symbolize it.

As for the frist part real part of your argument, there was so mutch more that they could have done with zants character. Ther was less build up to the revile that ganondorf was the real villain of TP it was not revealed untill the end of abtriers grounds.

Can't understand what you said except for that last part. While Ganondorf himself was revealed at Arbiters Grounds (Still the middle of the game), the first time Zant sees Link (Lakebed), he says he's following a God. They couldn't have revealed this any sooner without utterly forcing it in the game text.

Zant went from being a villion to just a minion

...He was still a villain though. Being a villain doesn't mean you're the one calling all the shots. Byrne's a villain. Cole's a villain. Ghirahim's a villain, Agahnim's a villan, Veran is a villain, Onox is a villain, Twinrova is a villain, etc., etc.. Zant still had his own goals, his own reason for doing things and did them on his own free will because HE wanted to.

in one of the worst way's posible, appering to be the big bad for half the story to being a crazed whiney child.(i have not played sprit tracks past the frist temple it has the worst control scheme ive seen for a game IMO)

He was clearly not the big bad though. Say what you want about how you figured out Majora's Mask was the villain, but Zant blatantly said he was not the big bad the first time he saw Link.

The mask was a constent pressence through out the game. You could feal the wide spread impact of the mask through out the game. From the poison in the swamp to the curse of Ikana.

Except nobody was talking about the mask...they were talking about the Skull Kid wearing the mask. Whenever the mask was brought up, it was always said the power just corrupted people as power does. They mention it specifically as an item when they say the ancient ones sealed it worried that people would misuse it. In fact, the same thing happened to the Triforce...it was sealed up so nobody would misuse it. Am I to suspect the Triforce is a villain now?

His motives were unexplained in OoT. Unless if you provide the evidence to back it up that he had motives back then. Also what game shows that master swords origins?

His goal was to destroy Hyrule as said by Zelda, Daphnes, the Gods (indirectly), not to mention his own actions such as--y'know, destroying a vast amount of Hyrule and then freeing Volvagia to do the rest.

Were dose it say that none of MM is real? I've seen no evidence to prove that it all is fake.

I never said none of MM was real. Read the post fully before responding. I said none of the Skull Kid's villainous character was real. He was never acting out and being a tragic villain. It was all the mask. What's perhaps the worst part of all of this is that it makes no sense. If the Mask is alive, why did it even bother with the Skull Kid? Why didn't it just knock HMS to the ground, fly away, and create havoc on its own? Even if you explain that away, it doesn't explain what actual use it had for the Skull Kid or why it decided the Skull Kid was no longer useful. It seemed to be there for the sole sake of making the Skull Kid a non-villain character--it's like Nintendo just couldn't handle the idea of a dark complex villain.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
For pac man the ghosts represent how evil can never fully be destroied it will always come back.
For Mario the gombas represnt thouse who follow their leader blindly and loyally even to the point of death. Kopa king represnts a tyranical leader who invades countries with weaker militrays to get what he whats.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Hmm... the Fierce Diety's mask was supposed to be a reward for getting all the masks in the game, you get it just to make majora easier... I personally found him to be way more difficult without the mask, but after you find out his weaknesses then he get a little easier. I think he is still a cool villian though, and the mask's orgin is very interesting too. Now here is a challenge for you all, try beating all of the evolutions of majora with only three hearts, and without the glided sword or the razor sword.

I don't like MM's bosses in general. All way too easy and poorly designed. In terms of his goofiness though, I didn't mind. MM was a pretty happy goofy game in general. But man...the way he just completely stole the Skull Kid's role.......that ticked me off. They took a great villain and replaced it with a weaker one. Not ADDED...like they did in TP and ST...but replaced. And the fight was extremely easy even by Zelda standards. In normal Link form, I still find myself toying with this boss just to extend it and not make myself feel empty. I don't hate it...but it's the most disappointing final boss of the 5 3D titles, yes.

Well... In TP Ganondorf wasn't added, I knew he would probably show up because zant says to midna in the lake hylia shrine that his power comes from his God, not the magic of the twili. When he said his God I knew right then Ganondorf was gonna show up. Anyway I thought that all the bosses in Majora's mask were designed well, I liked Odowla, but he was a little too easy, the same with Goht, Gyorg was very challenging for me personally, but then again I was only 5 years old when I fought him, and I was not that good a gamer back then, Twinmold was ok in terms of development, but I thought he was way too easy when wearing the giants mask, and he wasn't that hard without it either. Majora's mask in my opnion is definatly up there with Oot,Tp,and SS.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

For pac man the ghosts represent how evil can never fully be destroied it will always come back.
For Mario the gombas represnt thouse who follow their leader blindly and loyally even to the point of death. Kopa king represnts a tyranical leader who invades countries with weaker militrays to get what he whats.

I have difficulty buying that you actually believe this...but I don't debate you on it.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

Oh I get it! So the moral of the story is that if you blindly follow a leader, an Italian plumber will come and kill you! And if you have a weak military, beware of tyrannical turtle kings who might invade you. And the ghosts represent how evil always comes back, unless you get a power-up and then eat them.

Seriously though, I think you might be reading a little too deep into it.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I have difficulty buying that you actually believe this...but I don't debate you on it.

A symbol derives its meaning from your own personal experiences. An author or a creator my not have intended it to be symbolic. To you it might not have that much meaning. Even colors could be symbols its meaning changing depending on the saturation jue and shade. A dark green symbolize nature a light green money or sickness. Light blue free though dark blue sadness.

DarkestLink

A symbol derives its meaning from your own personal experiences. An author or a creator my not have intended it to be symbolic. To you it might not have that much meaning. Even colors could be symbols its meaning changing depending on the saturation jue and shade. A dark green symbolize nature a light green money or sickness. Light blue free though dark blue sadness.

I couldn't disagree more. Symbolism is based on the author's intentions...otherwise, I could stand here and say "But no! Clearly, the Mask is a symbol of how little Nintendo cares for their stories. The moon is clearly symbolism! It's destroying Termina, Nintendo's world, Nintendo's story. The Skull Kid being abandoned symbolizes how little Nintendo cares for their story and Majora's Mask calling the Skull Kid garbage is actually Nintendo calling their stories garbage. The moral is to get over it."

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I couldn't disagree more. Symbolism is based on the author's intentions...otherwise, I could stand here and say "But no! Clearly, the Mask is a symbol of how little Nintendo cares for their stories. The moon is clearly symbolism! It's destroying Termina, Nintendo's world, Nintendo's story. The Skull Kid being abandoned symbolizes how little Nintendo cares for their story and Majora's Mask calling the Skull Kid garbage is actually Nintendo calling their stories garbage. The moral is to get over it."
That would be your interpretation of what you perceive them to be. We could debate it but we seem to be at a stand still.

It was meh to me. Almost on the same level as Links Awakening's last boss. Without the FDM, however he was kind of a challenge.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even though this thread has been necroed, no reason I can't post my thoughts right?

I'm split on Majora as a final boss. Typically, I don't like bosses in Zelda games, the "3D" bosses are very repetitive, have little depth and are largely easy, and the the "top down" bosses, seem to be visually - not a threat - and they just have that epic scale that a 3D plain can create.

Though the real problem is the challenge set. I feel that boss stages and visual designs of a lot of the bosses from the "3D" games, are generally good, but like I said before they lack other aspects. The final boss sometimes is an exception, and the game usually throws a lot at the player as a final test. So most of the time, on paper, I think that the final boss is usually the toughest, although, is this really true?

If we look at us, the player, we typically get stronger as we advance - better upgrades, increased health, bigger arsenal, more of a knowledge etc. So when it comes to the final battle we are at our peak in that playthrough. So the difficulty curve should increase anyway but in a way does the challenge balance out with the strength of the player? I would actually say no and this is the problem.

So onto this particular boss. Like I said the challenge was decent, not like a huge challenge, but a good one at that. Though at this time, the player could have the Gilded Sword (double damage), Great Fariy Sword (Quadruple Damage), multiple upgrades and even the Fierce Deity Mask. So this battle, depending on the player, could he made much easier. That isn't just down to the player in my opinion, this is a fault of the game. You have to have that frame of mind that players might have such powers/skills/weapons at this point. For me, I found this boss battle to be on the easy side, even a little bit on the quick side.

Though I liked the battle itself, it was quite diverse and unique. You had that crazy, twisted theme with the claustrophobic colourful stage and the crazed boss, Majora. I just wish that the beginning stages were as intense as the latter phase. So I did like the design, especially Majora's Wrath, but I kind of expected just a little something more. Don't get me wrong they captured that edgy, twisted style but it just didn't strike me as something I'd see as a viable threat, in fact it was more like Ghirahim, I just didn't take Majora seriously.

Plus the stage, like I said, was very claustrophobic. Now this made the fight more intense and made us more prone to attack and whatnot, but the stage just didn't have that epic scale that I expect from a final boss. Even look at this games predecessor, Ocarina of Time, here you have this intense tennis like battle in a smallish compact room. Then we break away from that and escape the collapsing tower only to face Ganondorf once more in his Demon King form outside. There's just that little something extra when the stage changes, or when you have larger stage, it can just give that's sense of scope to the battle.

All in all a ok final battle, not the hardest nor the easiest. The design of Majora was great, as it really captured that crazy nature of the mask but then again it didn't seem like much of a threat. Given all of this and the relatively subpar stage, I would have to say that this wasn't what I would expect to be a great final boss, mediocre at best. Like I said though, Majora isn't the only exception here, this goes for not just final bosses but bosses as a whole.

DarkestLink

Never really occurred to me that people might end up coming to Majora without a Gilded Sword...the way Nintendo wafts that particular sidequest under our nose, I forgot it wasn't required.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So onto this particular boss. Like I said the challenge was decent, not like a huge challenge, but a good one at that. Though at this time, the player could have the Gilded Sword (double damage), Great Fariy Sword (Quadruple Damage), multiple upgrades and even the Fierce Deity Mask. So this battle, depending on the player, could he made much easier. That isn't just down to the player in my opinion, this is a fault of the game. You have to have that frame of mind that players might have such powers/skills/weapons at this point. For me, I found this boss battle to be on the easy side, even a little bit on the quick side.

I highly disagree. Through and through, the Gilded Sword sidequest is player initiated, and completely optional at that. The Great Fairy Sword is optional - and chances are people won't even bother with collecting the stray fairies due to how tedious it is. The Fierce Deity Mask is clearly marketed as "Overpowered", and in fact it was designed to make Majora little more thana slice of a cakewalk. What I'm trying to point out is, is that the difficulty of this match is completely dependant on the player, which is actually a GOOD thing; it promotes experimentation and actual choice in your approach to things.

Majora with Fierce Deity Mask - am I even trying? Some people say Majora is a cakewalk with FD, which is intentional; its description very clearly states Could this mask's dark powers be as bad as Majora's? which is a testament to its power.

Majora with Great Fairy Sword - easier but you do not have the ability to block. Its description very clearly states The most powerful sword has black roses etched in its blade.

Majora with Gilded Sword - easy but the Gilded Sword is known to have 3x the power of the Kokiri Sword.

So there you can choose how long you'll have to endure. If it's 3easy5you, that's entirely your fault because there are parameters that you can directly control.

Onto Majora. Now I concede Majora doesn't deal nearly enough damage for a final boss, but it IS erratic and it possess a ton of range, especially with the whips.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
It is a good boss fight, but I'll admit the Fierce Deity mask basically makes everything easy. So just don't use the mask, I didn't. I think the boss was hard enough for me and it was a very good game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom