• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See the SS Formula Return?

Would you like to see the skyward sword formula where the over world is a hub between 3 unconnected reigons, many uses for items, and utilizing the few items for many things and interacting with the 3 reigons in new ways? I would like to see this formula return except the overworld is a field. Not necessarily Hyrule. Maybe an new land entirely? Or New Hyrule in Spirit Tracks? Your thoughts?

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I thought it was good, but not the only zelda game to do so. MM had clocktown as a hub for your expedition to the different regions. I think that SS should be used as an example for new ideas in zelda wii U. Zelda needs lots of innovation and new ideas all the time.

I would like to see some parts of the formula return but not all.

The idea of unconnected regions felt more suited for a handheld rather than a console title and Nintendo should not implement it again. Also, I'm alright with exploring the same areas over again with new objectives but there have to be more next time as in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

The idea of fewer items with more uses greatly appeals to me as I thought that was one of the best aspects of Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks before it.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
The idea of unconnected regions felt more suited for a handheld rather than a console title and Nintendo should not implement it again.

I share this opinion. A more open world, but mixed with a few elements of Skyward Sword would be cool (I finished the game a few moments ago). I really enjoyed Skyward Sword. Playing for more than 60 hours. So, for me, it was definitely a fun adventure. But the game begun slowly. It took a huge while to entertain me. The Motion Controlls are horrible in a lot of situations. "Gameplay before Story and Graphics". This was definitely an aspect, Nintendo failed at. The controls were only a bit improved compared to Twilight Princess. Thanks to Motion Plus, it was not a complete disaster.

Skyward Sword changed a lot. And I think, a few ideas should be used for an upcoming Zelda. Most likey, this formula may continue for the next 3DS Zelda.

The unconnected regions in Skyward Sword was one of the biggest dissapointments for me in that game and it shouldn't be implemented again.

First of all, it agrivated me logically. Now, I know you can't think logically in a video game, especially a Nintendo game, but this seriously made me angry. How is it even remotely possible for there to be three separated land masses on the ground? I'll stop this argument shortly because I know it's invalid but it just bothered me so I thought I'd throw it in there.

Now, thinking in terms of game design, it was a poor move by Nintendo. Constantly going to a bird statue to fly up into the sky then having to go to a different location really got old fast. Why couldn't there just be a simple three-way access point through the land areas so we wouldn't have to constantly fly upwards and downwards? It would make the game feel more realistic, fluid, and overall more enjoyable. I really envy Ocarina of Time's overworld so much because Nintendo managed to capture this idea perfectly. Hyrule field was the main focus point but all areas seemed connected and easily accessible which made for a real smooth adventure the whole way through.

Now, the main concern people had with this idea was that Skyloft would have been neglected because if people could access all three areas on the surface then there would be no need to fly back to the sky and visit Skyloft. I don't agree with this at all. You had to visit Skyloft two times to return the stone plates you received from visiting the surface the first go around. You then had to obtain the three songs by going into the Isle of the Goddess. Then finally, you had to go through Sky Keep. Those are all instances where you had to return to the sky in the main quest alone. Don't forget about all the lovely sidequests that were available to you on Skyloft that would motivate you to go back there on your own.

In terms of revisiting the same areas over and over again, I also don't like that aspect of the formula, but I think it worked for Skyward Sword. If the game made you fly thousands of miles to make you go to 10 different surface areas then that would feel like the game was trying too hard to be big. Revisiting the same areas with different objectives worked for Skyward Sword and I was content with finding all the cool areas I gained access too after completing more of the main storyline.

One thing that I thought Skyward Sword did right was with the item development. A Zelda game doesn't need 43534756 different items for the player to obtain only to use each item two times throughout the whole story. In Skyward Sword, we had a select few items that were developed creatively that we used multiple times throughout our journey. That is what Zelda needs and I hope to see that in Zelda Wii U

That is one thing I don't want to see ever again. The 3 unconnected regions made the world difficult and tedious to transport yourself. You had to go to the sky to get anywhere. I want to see a hyrule like in TP, only bigger, with more caves and mini-dungeons. I also quite liked the atmosphere of the kingdom in TP, and want to see that again also.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I actually liked the three regions in SS but had the feeling they could have done more with it. So I would like the same formuale but with an overworld like in TP but with more challenges in it. I loved Faron Woods etc but I had a feeling there wa snot enough to explore. Maybe I kinda missed the digging option like in TP when you're a wolf

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I actually liked the three regions in SS but had the feeling they could have done more with it.

My problem was, I never had the feeling I'm travelling in an ancient land. I mean, this is the prequel to all other Zelda Games. I wished they show something about the creation of the Hyrule we know. For me, as the player, I did not feel attached to this world. Or, the next example, the time travel in Skyward Sword. You travel back for more than 1000 years. Between the war of Hylia and Demise. But the Sealed Grounds just look like the same as in the present. The whole time I asked me: "What does this land, 1000 of years ago will look like?". Well, at the end, you leave the temple. Only to see the exact same landscape.

There wasn't much of a backstory of the land you explore in Skyward Sword. The same goes for the ancient tribes. A Link to the Past is the best example how it is possible to present two worlds.

My problem was, I never had the feeling I'm travelling in an ancient land. I mean, this is the prequel to all other Zelda Games. I wished they show something about the creation of the Hyrule we know. For me, as the player, I did not feel attached to this world. Or, the next example, the time travel in Skyward Sword. You travel back for more than 1000 years. Between the war of Hylia and Demise. But the Sealed Grounds just look like the same as in the present. The whole time I asked me: "What does this land, 1000 of years ago will look like?". Well, at the end, you leave the temple. Only to see the exact same landscape.

There wasn't much of a backstory of the land you explore in Skyward Sword. The same goes for the ancient tribes. A Link to the Past is the best example how it is possible to present two worlds.

Well that has to go along with the art style they chose for this game. I don't want to say that the art style they chose (which was more along the lines of Wind Waker) restricted them in some ways, but I feel that they couldn't express an ancient feel to the surface area in happy vibrant colors. It's hard for me to explain but my best example is from Wind Waker when you travel underwater to the ancient land of Hyrule. Sure it was grey and all, but did it really feel like an anicent land? Not to me, and I think it had to do with the graphic style that they chose.

I agree that they could have done better with showing atleast some change in scenery when you traveled through time, but I can't help but to excuse Nintendo on this simply because of the directed that they chose to go in with the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As far as the gameplay aspects go -- save the flying and what not, that should just be a one-time thing -- yes. The motion controls were absolutely perfect (and I mean perfect), the dashing and how it was utilized was very innovative, and the upgrade system added a nice sense of depth to the use of the items. I also wish to see the upgraded storytelling come back. The way Skyward Sword told the story was phenomenal for a Zelda game, and I would be very disappointed if Nintendo went back to the highly simplistic storytelling again (not that it was bad before, it's just not as good as how SS did it). Good thing for me is it seems these are the sort of things that will happen, as Aonuma said they'll be recycling ideas from SS into Zelda Wii U. If Zelda keeps up the revitalizing pace that SS has brought in, there's no telling how high Zelda will soar. (Yes, that was pun.)

MW7

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about how you want it to be similar but with a field. The unconnectedness I wouldn't ever want to see again, but adding usefulness to items was very nice. A couple of items were well used like the bomb and beetle, but some others felt really underutilized like the clawshots. It's bad enough that the clawshots were limited to grabbing two different kinds of surfaces, but what were they thinking by removing some of the functionality from Twilight Princess such as being able to grab items and lower yourself?

Overall I thought Skyward Sword was a step in the right direction in many respects, but there were some things that were far from ideal. I'd rather see the next game be more similar to A Link to the Past than Skyward Sword.

I think they worlds should be connected. I like that better like in TP people from different regions actually went around to other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom