• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like it if the Next Zelda Game Takes Place in the Future?

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I used to be adamantly opposed to the idea; like many here, I thought the franchise was best set in a medieval-ish period, etc. But after seeing the aforementioned games and also seeing how other franchises melded technology with magic, my opinion completely changed.
Mine doesn't. Those other games and franchises were always supposed to be a sci-fi/fantasy blend. They didn't start out one way and then got changed into a hybrid afterwards. I mean, look at franchises that got such a change. Sure, some of them worked (Final Fantasy comes to mind, but I still find it sad that there hasn't been a true Fantasy game since IX, which is weird if you consider the title of the series), but most reworkings of a classic formula failed spectacularly. Do you remember The New Adventures of He-Man? Or The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo? How about Bomberman: Act Zero?

If anything, the Zelda franchise is ideal for experimentation.
In theory, perhaps. But if you keep in mind that we only get about two or three Zelda games a decade (Handhelds not included), then one stinker in-between means waiting even longer for the next good one. I wouldn't want to risk that on the off chance that a futuristic Zelda might not be bad.

For the time being, I am much more interested in seeing an explicitly Asian/Oriental aesthetic in a Zelda game, especially after playing Okami.
Now that would rock. I'm all for that.

For me the last few Zelda games have paled in comparison to the N64 era ones. It's probably not that they are substantially worse than any of the previous Zelda games, but familiarity breeds contempt.

Nintendo are famous for doing what they want to a series, not what the punters expect. I wouldn't want a completely different game, but changes of scenery and setting are needed. Having a look at the Parallel Universe fangame I realised that you could definitely move the time period backwards or forwards without changing the gameplay fundamentally. I'm all for a future Zelda. But I think even just a change of scenery to something contemporary to OoT would yield the same freshness to the series. See MM.

"The Future" in Hyrule and "The Future" in real life are completely different things. Hyrule has shown that it progresses in a completely different way than our world. It always manages to have subtle bits of innovation in every game. Because the current releases are more timeline oriented, I think it would be nice to maybe see some focus on the historical progression of Hyrule. I don't necessarily think upcoming games in the series should be futuristic, but it would be cool to see a few elements from a more modern era. I don't think it should be all out either. It needs to be subtle, and like someone else said, it needs to be simple. It would be really interesting to know more about the history of Hyrule and how it evolves.

D

dlawson24

I would play it because it's Zelda but I can tell you now it just wouldn't be the same.

J

Julz626

i would NOT want a zelda game in the future. Zelda is made for Renaissance times and i feel it might ruin a concept of a great game. If it was in the future it would be just like any other game you can buy and it fun to get away from all that high tech stuff and feeling like your really r in the past

LANZZ

Scarecrow
Here is a Zelda fan games that using this idea :-

'The Legend of Link - Parallel Universes' (ALTTP hack) by SePH....

600-126-h3.png

- http://parallelsequel.wordpress.com/

Lets give him support so that he can finishing this game... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MoblinPiglet

Prince of Moblins
Well........I really wouldn't like as much, it just wouldn't feel the same. Zelda is more about magic, kings, knights and stuff like that. These days we aren't ruled by the royalty and if the game series took place during present time, what would PRINCESS zelda be? And what whould link use as a weapon...... a gun, NO thats why we have goldeneye.

But I guess there would be some advantages(if I could think of any in the meantime).The newer zelda fans that have only played spirit tracks would probably be ok with that. I prefer my zelda game during mid evil. It's what i grew up with. They could do that though in like......50 years, maybe 100.

A futuristic Zelda could definitely be pretty interesting. As long as they didn't change the core gameplay too much (they would have to add futuristic twists to it, of course), I wouldn't mind all that much: the gameplay is the important part. It would open up lots of room for changes in the story, too. We could see how Hyrule has developed over the ages. Besides, it would be a big change, and I'm thinking that Zelda could use that: the new Zelda games are awesome, but for me at least, they reside in the shadow of the N64 games, and are never as fun as those were.

These days we aren't ruled by the royalty and if the game series took place during present time, what would PRINCESS zelda be?

Well, this is the Zelda universe, right? It doesn't have to be (and certainly isn't) exactly like ours. And anyhow, if things had happened differently, we could still have monarchs like in the old days: I wouldn't think there would be a connection between advanced technology and the downfall of royalty. And even if there was, again, this is Zelda; anything that Nintendo can imagine will work, as long as it entertains us.

Iwould not mind a zelda game set in the future.
Look at WW it was set thousands of yrs after oot and it worked great.
What i would not like is if link was t be made a lot older if they made another zelda game set in the future.
And i felt that WW being set thousands of yrs after oot was fine regarding the master sword.
So i don not mind a zelda game being set in the future as long as most things stay the same from previous games,such as the master sword,and other weapons.
Certain characters like the Gorons,locations like the lost woods,death mountain etc.
They do not all have to be in it but a good lot of them do.

C

cooljimbo12345

i think this is a peice of noncence it shodent be in the futre :mad: they have not even gone through the present :mad: and i am a big fan of twilight princess i for one think they should keep it in the past or it woldent be the LEGEND of zelda:dry:

K

kyuupid

As much as the idea intrigues me, I feel like it would be totally wrong. The whole atmosphere and feeling of the series would be destroyed. The medieval setting with the hills and plains and medieval-esque architecture is part of what, to me, and I think to a lot of other Zelda fans, makes the game. Setting it in a futuristic sci-fi world would destroy the whole Zelda universe and the charm of the games, for my part.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Okay, guys, this is ridiculous. I'm actually getting trouble for this post. People with an obviously shaky grasp of contemporary politics have reported that picture as off-topic, and the person who gave me an official warning failed to see its relevance to the topic at hand. Well, the lady on that photograph is Elizabeth II, Queen of England (and Australia, and Jamaica, and the Bahamas and quite a few other places, if you want to get technical). Queen as in "monarch". And she is only one example of many. There's King Juan Carlos of Spain, King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, King Albert of Belgium, King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand and quite a few more.

Moblin Piglet and Blackice CC have stated that we have no monarchies in this day and age, therefore it would be implausible for a monarchy to exist in the fictional future of a fictional nation in a video game series. But they were wrong. There are monarchies in this day and age. Maybe not in the land where you live right now, granted, but since neither of us lives in Hyrule (aka the nation we are talking about), that's a moot point. There are several reasons why it wouldn't be a great idea to have the next Zelda game after Skyward Sword set in the far future, but a lack of monarchs in the year 2010 is not one of them.

I guess I could have said all of that to begin with. But then I thought that it would be a lot nicer to Blackice and Moblin Piglet if I just posted a single picture instead of talking down to them. I assumed that a picture was worth a thousand words. I guess I should have realized that some people need a thousand and one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom