• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like it if the Next Zelda Game Takes Place in the Future?

K

kidd sisco5150

Rofl! A futuristic Zelda game wouldn't make any sense for this one reason only: The Master Sword.

Ever seen a city/time period like that still using swords? Of course not. And who said that the series is set in a medieval time?

Actually I have to point out that there are futuristic cities still using swords ever heard of Star Wars, (I know not in zelda but proves my point)

I would actually welcome a Zelda in the future, one reason being I'm tired of seeing so many freaking prequils. It might be good for the game developers because they can have one game way out in the future and a big gap that they can fill with more prequils lol.

But seriously as corny as it may sound I think it could be done well. While I like to see the same basic story lines for nostalgic reasons I still like to see them take a big leap. Honestly how many times can we run around the same basic mideval town? I could see a storyline like Link is trapped or dies centuries ago (Leaves room for a prequil to explain this) and he is revived and has some robotic prostetics, something like Will Smith in I Robot, that would solve some peoples problem of having to introduce a new link, and he could have one cool red eye like the terminator or something, same could go for epona, part horse part machine. Now I know there are some of you that are having flashback of Jason X, and yes it was corny but we don't have to go as far as put Link in space. He does not have to be in a big industrial city like the demo video implies either, he could be in a post armagedon Hyrule with the reminants of the castle half buried. When it comes to the master sword that can be kept with just some cosmetic changes it doesn't have to be a lightsaber or a gun. My point is I think it can be done tastefully, I mean how many times have they really dissapointed us? It would be interesting at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djinn

and Tonic
Like just about everyone else in this thread, I think this is a terrible idea. I have seen the drive to make a pseudo-scifi series turn a lot of fans off to the Final Fantasy series and I would hate to see it done to Zelda. I got into the series as a fan of fantasy, with a medieval fantasy setting and characters. A scifi series would be a total removal from the very setting I like. In fact it could not be the same game anymore. It would be a scifi game that just so happens to have a character named Link as the hero.

Frankly, if you want to play a scifi game, go play a sciifi game. People want their fantasy games to remain fantasy games. How many people would actually like a Medieval Metroid game with Samus riding a horse and using a bow instead of her arm canon? Probably no one. So why would the reverse work with the Zelda series?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
No, please no. This does not fit in to what Zelda is, and I think it would only hurt the series.
Also, the timeline is quite complicated as of now, and what will happen in the future when he starts using time machines to go into any year? It will get way to complicated.

Kybyrian

Most people tend to dismiss the idea of a futuristic Zelda game as a stupid idea, and personally I don't blame them for doing so. Zelda just isn't known to be all that futuristic. We have swords and magic, that's how it's been for so long and how it continues to be to this date. People hate seeing such a drastic change, which is why a lot of well-known game series have failed. Let me just take Sonic for an example. A lot of people absolutely loved the classic Sonic games, including myself, but after they started making the 3D games and completely changing the style, it got bad. I have a feeling the same thing could happen with Zelda if they make too drastic of a change, such as putting the whole game farther into a futuristic style.

The Legend of Zelda just isn't that type of game. There may be a few people who think it would be successful and pretty cool in a futuristic setting, but from what I've seen it tends to be the younger group of gamers that have that opinion. They seem to be rather obsessed with action, guns, machines, and all of that. A futuristic Zelda would ruin the series for a lot of gamers, and put down on their list. The series could quite possibly be lost in the shadows.

I'm going to agree with Wyatt. I took a rather strong disliking to the fact that Spirit Tracks contained a Train, as I believed that the Zelda series was becoming too modern, which I think is a fair point. Zelda has always been known for being set in a medival like time period, and I don't think that setting at least 6 or 7 hundred years into the future would be a good move for Nintendo, or even if they made it closer to our own time period. The game works as a medival game really well, and I've never really been bothered that it has always been set in that time period, as I have never really thought about the time period that it was set in, being honest. As another member mentioned above, Nintendo have found ways to change the series to keep it fresh, such as the entire of Majora's Mask, the wolf aspect of Twilight Princess, sailing in Wind Waker...etc.

In my opinion, if Nintendo were to make a Zelda game which was more futuristic, it would more than likely fail horribly with the fans. It would be way to large a change for a majority of fans to handle in my eyes. Kybyrian used a very good example of the Sonic series, once that series made the transition to 3D from 2D, the series started to become rather bad, to the extent that I haven't played a Sonic game since the GameCube version was released. So in conclusion, it's pretty safe to say that I would not like to see the next Zelda take place in the future.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Part of me thinks I wouldn't get on with a futuristic Zelda. Another part thinks that if I wanted to play an involving futuristic game that involved beating up enemies and solving puzzles... I could just play one of the other futuristic titles that are already available. Like Metroid, Sin and Punishment, and if I'm feeling retro, Jet Force Gemini.

There are other games that fill that particular criteria that I think forcing it into a series that established itself to be a fantastical setting wouldn't really add as much as one might think.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, I don't know. I would have to play the game first and see if it was done tastefully. I don't believe that one aspect of a game can make or break the entire thing, at least not if you keep an open mind.

I personally think that an interesting idea would be, instead of taking place in the future... what if it took place in Hyrule's past? Something akin to their "Hellenistic" era, where all the Hylians still had strong magic in their blood, perhaps the Goddesses were still involved with the world. Basically, this would be the earliest Hylian civilization, perhaps the ones who created all the magical artifacts in the first place, the ones who had all this lost knowledge.

The challenge with this, however, is that most of Zelda relies on there being a lot of existing areas with history and development. In this game, you would have to somehow bring a lot of things into being for the first time, rather than have them already existing and created for you.

The Metroid series is zelda in the future...well not really, just the same concepts of discovery and upgrades are there. Honestly like many other have mentioned above, this series depends on an old fashioned setting and the day zelda goes into the future will be a bad day indeed. Don't get me wrong, I like how zelda games established later in the timeline have a more advanced setting to them, but they will never be able to make a zelda more advanced than 2010 (if you know what I mean...)

I wouldn't like the next Zelda game to take place in the future simply because I like fantasy better than scifi. :yes::cool:

(even though I like scifi too...)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Ehhh... well, if it took place in the future, but I dunno. I'd be willing to try it, but something tells me I wouldn't care for it all that much.

I think it'd be interesting if it was sort of a "rediscovering magic" sort of thing in a modern or semi modern Hyrule (kinda like Final Fantasy VI), but as far as liking it would go... I'm just not sure.

Beeker

Wild Card
There's actually a part of me that wants to see a modernish Zelda. Not too far into the future to the point of cars and extremely powerful and advanced technology like in the OP, but maybe a mix of magic and tech(Kind of in Spirit Tracks? Not sure how to explain...)

The reason I would want a mix of the two is because Zelda is a fantasy game that is very magic and medieval. If it was overrun by too much technology, it just wouldn't feel the same to me.

In fact, I think I like the way Zelda is incorporating magic elements with some forms of technology. If Zelda did go all futuristic, steampunk is as far as I would take it. Anything else, I'm not too sure I would enjoy.

I would love a futuristic/steampunk/sci-fi Zelda if it was done right! I know there are already a lot of futuristic games out there, but I think a Zelda game would stand out from them easily. In all the Zelda games I've played, the whole story is full of zany, hilarious, loose cannon characters that Link must go along with from time to time (Darunius the dancing goron, those pirates in WW that blasted Link out of a cannon, that little hooded girl that went on a date with Link in Oracle of Seasons, Ruto from OoT...). Link is always the hero, but he's never the kind of hero who makes the rules. If Zelda was futuristic, it wouldn't be about an action hero with an attitude, it would be about everyone's friend Link being yanked from planet to planet on some crazy adventure to get an eyeball frog away from the space chu-chus, or something like that. A sci-fi Zelda would be awesome because it would give the whole Zelda universe more dimension, like Wind Waker did by introducing an ocean. As long as the atmostphere is the same amazing, crazy one we're used to, LOZ games could be set in the future, underwater, in the arctic, in a world inhabited mainly by giants, you name it.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Consider a couple of things before you dismiss the idea offhand.

1.) One place to look is JRPGs. As far back as the late 80's, these games were melding very futuristic technology with magic in ways that some considered revolutionary. Phantasy Star is one example, but subsequently we've had the Tales games that have seamlessly combined technology and magic into a single force. Characters in, for example, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia, might travel from a field swarming with magical monsters to a city with electric lighting. And the games don't miss a beat or ever feel out of place.

The very best example I can think of of a game that combines extreme technology with extreme fantasy is Phantasy Star II, one of the earliest games for the Sega Genesis. In its predecessor, as previously mentioned, the two existed; in this game, they were both liberally referenced rather than just being a part of the world. The story starts off with a technological disaster that turns regular creatures into mutants in a utopian, computer-regulated and dominated society; by the end of the game, you're rocketed into ancient temples and searching for lost treasure. Again, it doesn't skip a beat; every aspect of the game's world feels well fleshed-out.

ps2_main.jpg

The co-existence of these elements is one of the things that set Phantasy Star apart at the time.

Plenty of other game franchises have demonstrated how these two elements can coexist; there is no reason to believe it would not work if done properly in a Zelda title.

2.) Classic film and literature also combines elements of fantasy and science fiction seamlessly. Dune, often thought of as a science fiction story, is filled with messianic prophecies, laserless weapons made of hard material, and magic. It's chock-full of mystery and adventure, but the science fiction elements allow it to break free from some of the limitations that a strict fantasy setting would have imposed on it. Technology is used to call up ancient, magnificent sandworms that can be ridden across the desert. Ornithopters make for exciting scenes where characters contend with the desert in their flying machines. The resilience of our characters is tested and tried and it remains the focus because neither the technology nor the magic ever goes too far, even when it is at the center of the story.

Hyperion, another science fiction story, boasts even more advanced technology, but that technology is used to explore a much more horrific and twisted world with its own set of rules and one of the most chilling villains in literary history. Just because technology is available does not mean characters can rely on it; one story in the book features a character who becomes hopelessly entangled with a vicious and mystical tribe.

Even Star Wars, though it may not be the best example, balances magic with fantasy. Dagobah is a classic fantasy setting, almost entirely free from technology save when it acts as a detriment. Cloud City is a soaring, art deco masterpiece that adds to the fantasy but would nonetheless be impossible without well-developed technology.

The point is, once again, we can see these elements work together.

3.) The Zelda series itself has explored some pretty remarkable territory. Spirit Tracks, The Wind Waker, and even Majora's Mask all have a post-Renaissance style and flavor, but are uniquely fantastical and never lose the sense of adventure associated with the franchise. It is not hard to imagine guns existing in these worlds but, like the worlds of Phantasy Star and the Tales games, hand-to-hand combat still exists and steel is still the material of choice for weapons. Technology and magic synchronize beautifully here.

----------------------------------------

If it can avoid the stupid, gritty cliches associated with futuristic games, I think a futuristic Zelda title would be fun to see. I used to be adamantly opposed to the idea; like many here, I thought the franchise was best set in a medieval-ish period, etc. But after seeing the aforementioned games and also seeing how other franchises melded technology with magic, my opinion completely changed. There is no one way to make this work; I don't claim to have the key to it all or anything of the sort. I do, however, think that Zelda fans have demonstrated time and again that they are closed-minded in their perceptions about the franchise, and Nintendo has demonstrated time and again that it can take the Zelda franchise, and its characters, to places we have never dreamed of and make it work.

The key is for the developers to work around the unique story, items, level design, exploration, etc. that they want for a specific game--neither inhibit it nor change things up just for the hell of it.

I also think fans forget that the universe of Hyrule is very malleable. There are at least two timelines (probably more), the possibility of alternate dimensions, etc., and there currently exist at least two distinct styles which dominate Zelda games. Any game can take place at any time along this always-changing timeline, and limitations imposed by one game need not affect another, as it can simply shift to a different time period or universe. If anything, the Zelda franchise is ideal for experimentation.

For the time being, I am much more interested in seeing an explicitly Asian/Oriental aesthetic in a Zelda game, especially after playing Okami. But an art deco future isn't bad, even if I don't like the ideas outlined in the first post.

Z

ZeldaGirl269

I'll take a gun, and Link wearing an awesome leather green jacket and black pants...and I don't know what else..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom