• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WiiU games re-released on 3DS your thoughts?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
The point though is we are talking, Mario vs Mario, Yoshi vs Yoshi, DK vs DK. Doesn't matter how different they games are. You're still getting a Mario fix or a Yoshi fix or a DK fix. It's same IP vs same IP. That's the similarity here.

:fpalm: So you're basing things purely on SAME FRANCHISE?! You STILL don't get it! Just because it's the SAME FRANCHISE, doesn't mean it's the SAME GAME! If they have DIFFERENT PLOTS/STORIES, and especially DIFFERENT GRAPHICAL ARTSTYLES, then they're DIFFERENT GAMES, regardless of them being in the same franchise!

That's like saying all the Zelda games are the same game just because it's same franchise. Oh well, guess they're can't be Zelda timeline then, since they're all the same game. Yep! Nevermind, that they have DIFFERENT STORIES, PLOTS, GRAPHICS, GAMEPLAY MECHANICS, or any other stuff! No! All Zelda games are just the same game, regardless of the so MANY DIFFERENCES, simply because, well they're all Zelda! All Metroid games are the same cause it's Metroid, not because the STORY/PLOT or the GAMEPLAY! Nnooo! Let's just all follow by The8thArk's logic, cause he's ssooo smart and knows eeevverryythingg about ENTERTAINMENT and how ENTERTAINMENT works! Everyone listen him! He knows all! If HE says games, movies, books, etc are the same thing if it's in the same franchise, then it's all the same thing, regardless of ALL DIFFERENCES if ANY!

Yes! That's right! Even all the Star Wars movies, games, and books are all the same thing cause it's STAR WARS! Nevermind the DIFFERENT STORIES/PLOTS of any of the movies, games, or books! If it's apart of the SAME FRANCHISE, it's the SAME THING, cause The8thArk said so!

Seriously dude, who the heck do you think you are? God?! Please. Give me a break! :dry:

That's all the 3DS fans want and they will not buy a WiiU for a (certain character) fix they can have on their 3DS.

Are hardcore/core gamers like this? No! Are casual gamers like this? Yes! Speaking of which. Just curious. Are you, by chance, a casual gamer? Just wondering.

Seriously dude, who the heck do you think you are? God?! Please. Give me a break! :dry:
My whole point is someone does not need to buy a WiiU in they already own a 3DS to get their fix fo fun from certain IPs. That was my entire point. It does not matter how similar or not the games from the same IP are, few people will buy a whole new console to get their fix then they can get in already on the 3DS. The 3DS vs WiiU sales numbers prove this.

Are you, by chance, a casual gamer? Just wondering.
I would say 75% no and 25% yes. Casual for me though is games like Hearthstone. That's not very casual though compared to many of the mobile games out there.
In saying that, I don't even own a 3DS. I have zero want for one. I do however own a WiiU and like it quite a lot. I am one of the tiny minority who likes the WiiU more than the 3DS. If Nintendo catered solely for my needs and wants and nothing else, Nintendo would go broke and out of business quick smart. Portable games with ways to play for short as well as long gaming sessions is what seels well for Nintendo. Even the NX is rumoured ot be trying to capitalize on this. A smart move by Nintendo I would think.

The Hardcore gamers you speak of that like Nintendo are in the minority. The majority are jsut happy with their fix of their favoruite IP on the 3DS.

pays no attention to the current ****storm in this thread because he doesnt care

Given my current gaming habits doubled with my motivation issues, this would be ideal for me purely for the sake of convenience. Even when they're not, say, literal ports of the game and are moderately different than their Wii U counterpart (as is the case with Smash 4), just being able to have quick and easy access to the game does help with my motivation to play. In general, I've found that I'm probably more of a handheld gamer than a home console gamer; for various reasons, but accessibility does tend to be one of the bigger ones, I'd think.

However, a lot of the control schemes of games that are more or less, to use OP's words, re-releases of Wii U titles would be/are more complex and aggressive than standard 3DS-made titles, and I'm not one for being too hard on my 3DS because I don't plan on replacing it. Ever. **** the New 3DS—it's total ****. Stop shoving it at me, Nintendo. So, contradictory to my original statement, after Smash for the Wii U was released, I haven't played the 3DS version since—just due to the intensity of the button-play and all of those people losing their circle pads. But then, I haven't played the Wii U version much at all either so it's lose-lose in that case. But Smash is a special instance too because the 3DS version came first. Though I suppose I was pretty quick to drop Hyrule Warriors Legends (which sucks because I preordered the DLC) too but that was more a motivation problem.

My broken game habits aside, there are a handful of Wii U titles that I probably would have considered getting if they were/also available as 3DS titles. I'm more prone to trying out demos on my 3DS as well, so I'm a bit more easily immersed in the lineup of games present for the 3DS, while I'm pretty blind to the Wii U's lineup aside from what I hear. Still, I'm not gonna spend $60 on something I know nothing about.

I'm for it, as long as with it, they finally give me my handheld virtual console on an actual handheld—wtf why are GBA and DS games on Wii U virtual console and not 3DS? And ffs if they make those N3DS exclusive I'm gonna break things. "—Here, Satan, you're an ambassador; have 20 free games. But as punishment for getting your 3DS too early and making it last five years, you can't get any of the other cool virtual console games for it. Thank you for your patronage."

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
If you just want a little of that type of fun, would you pay $300+ for the console (WiiU) then $50 for the game? Or would you just pay $40-$60 to buy the 3DS game for the 3DS that you already own?
This is totally targeted at 3DS owners who have zero intention of ever getting a WiiU and making almost as good ports for them to play.

The 3DS is not intended to play certain games. It's a handheld. Handhelds can't be played as long as console games. I mean, in the recent past there has been a trend to make full-fledged console games on handhelds, I won't deny that. But traditionally, handheld games and console games have been different, because the experience itself was different.

You play console games longer. Thus, longer games are usually made on consoles. Handhelds, traditionally, have been either shorter games, or games you can play for small bursts. The reason for this is that you take your GameBoy on the go, you get a few levels of a game in, save, and turn it off. Maybe you play on the airplane, the bus, the train, when you're in a waiting room, etc.. The other reason is that traditionally, handhelds couldn't handle larger games, simply because the cartridges were smaller. That is all changing with the 3DS, which has 100+ hour adventures (Xenoblade) and games that should have been on console (Monster Hunter).

Still, no game is going to be as good on handheld. I feel a lot of games are suffering in the quality department by being on handheld. Monster Hunter Generations is the latest one. I can't even play the game anymore. It's simply on the wrong platform. I get why—more people own 3DSs than Wii Us—but it doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior version of a game.

but it doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior version of a game.
I will not argue with you there. But inferior or not it's still a version of the game. Many 3DS owners will not pay $250 or more for a WiiU just to have a better version of the game. They will settle for the $40-$60 3DS version they can play anywhere they want to. Ninendo is cashing in on this trend now.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The 3DS is not intended to play certain games. It's a handheld. Handhelds can't be played as long as console games. I mean, in the recent past there has been a trend to make full-fledged console games on handhelds, I won't deny that. But traditionally, handheld games and console games have been different, because the experience itself was different.

You play console games longer. Thus, longer games are usually made on consoles. Handhelds, traditionally, have been either shorter games, or games you can play for small bursts. The reason for this is that you take your GameBoy on the go, you get a few levels of a game in, save, and turn it off. Maybe you play on the airplane, the bus, the train, when you're in a waiting room, etc.. The other reason is that traditionally, handhelds couldn't handle larger games, simply because the cartridges were smaller. That is all changing with the 3DS, which has 100+ hour adventures (Xenoblade) and games that should have been on console (Monster Hunter).

Still, no game is going to be as good on handheld. I feel a lot of games are suffering in the quality department by being on handheld. Monster Hunter Generations is the latest one. I can't even play the game anymore. It's simply on the wrong platform. I get why—more people own 3DSs than Wii Us—but it doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior version of a game.
Is it really inferior though?
I mean, graphically perhaps, and control-wise, maybe.

But 3DS games are way cheaper than Wii U games. The 3DS is way cheaper than the Wii U as well. A lot of games, such a Hyrule Warriors Legends, have way more content, and is balanced properly over the Wii U version of the game. Hell, Yoshi's Wooly World 3DS has more content than its Wii U counterpart as well. So on the whole, you pay less money, for more content.... I don't think that is strictly "inferior".

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Is it really inferior though?
I mean, graphically perhaps, and control-wise, maybe.

But 3DS games are way cheaper than Wii U games. The 3DS is way cheaper than the Wii U as well. A lot of games, such a Hyrule Warriors Legends, have way more content, and is balanced properly over the Wii U version of the game. Hell, Yoshi's Wooly World 3DS has more content than its Wii U counterpart as well. So on the whole, you pay less money, for more content.... I don't think that is strictly "inferior".

Those are just two examples. But the vast majority of games, yes, I would say they are vastly inferior. I'm not saying handheld games are inherently inferior to console games. I'm saying when you have two version side-to-side, the console version will, more often than not, be the better version. There are plenty of great handheld games. In fact, some of my favorite games ever have been on handhelds. But like I said, they're different. They're typically smaller, shorter games that can be played in quick bursts. Traditionally, console games have had more content and more "meat" to them, if you will.

Putting a console game on a handheld is becoming more common, and that's fine and all, but it won't be as good as if it were on a console.

To be fair, a game that controls worse than an almost identical version of the same game is, by definition, inferior. So yes, I would make a blanket statement that says the handheld version of Xenoblade is objectively "less good" than the Wii version, despite the extra content.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Actually I can play Generations for hours and hours at a time. I've never played a console game for more than an hour or two at a time unless it's a Zelda game (I mean come on, it's Zelda). I can sit down on my bed and play a 3DS game for 5 hours straight. I can't sit in front of a TV for that long. Monster Hunter Generations is a perfect example; I already have over 300 hours of playtime in total and it just came out in July. You think I'd ever come that close if it were on a console, even despite how much I love the franchise? No way, man.

I will never understand people who say handheld games are inferior. Console systems have more power, yeah, but that doesn't mean the games on handheld are worse. Speaking from experience, I would take Monster Hunter on a handheld over console any day of the week. Same with Hyrule Warriors, and even Zelda.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Those are just two examples. But the vast majority of games, yes, I would say they are vastly inferior. I'm not saying handheld games are inherently inferior to console games. I'm saying when you have two version side-to-side, the console version will, more often than not, be the better version. There are plenty of great handheld games. In fact, some of my favorite games ever have been on handhelds. But like I said, they're different. They're typically smaller, shorter games that can be played in quick bursts. Traditionally, console games have had more content and more "meat" to them, if you will.

Putting a console game on a handheld is becoming more common, and that's fine and all, but it won't be as good as if it were on a console.

To be fair, a game that controls worse than an almost identical version of the same game is, by definition, inferior. So yes, I would make a blanket statement that says the handheld version of Xenoblade is objectively "less good" than the Wii version, despite the extra content.
Actually I can play Generations for hours and hours at a time. I've never played a console game for more than an hour or two at a time unless it's a Zelda game (I mean come on, it's Zelda). I can sit down on my bed and play a 3DS game for 5 hours straight. I can't sit in front of a TV for that long. Monster Hunter Generations is a perfect example; I already have over 300 hours of playtime in total and it just came out in July. You think I'd ever come that close if it were on a console, even despite how much I love the franchise? No way, man.

I will never understand people who say handheld games are inferior. Console systems have more power, yeah, but that doesn't mean the games on handheld are worse. Speaking from experience, I would take Monster Hunter on a handheld over console any day of the week. Same with Hyrule Warriors, and even Zelda.
It is also because of this discussion, that if the NX is indeed a hybrid, it is so brilliant for both types of players.

Though for the record, Monster Hunter 4U and Generations is far superior to any other MH game on a console. It has more content, better gameplay, and even better online.

Idk about that image comparing Wii U and 3DS games. I understand the point that "well, I'm not going to run out and buy a 300 system to get similar games," but some of those are kind of a stretch to say that you'll get the same experience out of them. New Paper Mario being the equivalent of a years old (apparently weak) Paper Mario? Mario Kart 7 being the same as MK8?

To each their own, I suppose. I love handheld games to death (the 3DS is currently my favorite system), but I usually prefer a console version if there is one. (Unless it's embarrassing fanservice-y game. It's a little awkward on a 32" HD TV.) The same core mechanics, but with ideally better graphics, a larger controller, and ideally faster gameplay? Yes, please.

I will admit that some games fit a handheld better. Story of the Seasons/Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Animal Crossing come to mind. Turn the game on, water your plants, talk to some people, close the 3DS for a bit, open 3DS and do some other things, etc.

I agree with almost all of your points, but the one in bold I'll disagree with. Japanese SRPG and RPG games are pretty common on handhelds since the GBA days (see Dragon Quest series, Fire Emblem series, Shin Megami Tensei series, etc) and they are decently long games. With plenty of content.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I've removed some posts by various members from this thread as they were not furthering the discussion, please avoid posting these kinds of posts in the future.

Also, please play nice guys. There isn't any need to get worked up over this topic, we won't always see eye-to-eye and yelling will not make anyone more likely to re-consider your points. It'll likely even have the opposite effect.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Though for the record, Monster Hunter 4U and Generations is far superior to any other MH game on a console. It has more content, better gameplay, and even better online.

Right. But it's not an opinion that it would be even better on a console. A controller is just better than the 3DS's little nub. If the same game were on console, it could have even more content, even better online, and probably better gameplay.

I said that handheld games are great. I said that. I'm not arguing that handheld games are bad. But games are better on a console, because a console can do things a handheld can't.

That's personal preference. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you can have more content, faster load times, and better controls on a console. I mean, if you prefer the handheld version, that's fine. I'm not arguing that you're wrong for thinking that way. But the game would be better on a console, and that's a fact. Hunting on a small screen, and using that little nub to control the camera is objectively inferior to hunting on a much larger screen, with a proper control stick.

And to add to my personal preference, the 3DS hurts my wrists after playing for a long time. There's no way I could put 300 hours into any 3DS game because my wrists simply don't hold up. I can do it on a console, though, simply because ergonomics. But that's neither here nor there.

So again, if you like that more, that's great. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. But you can't make the argument that handheld games are better because you like them more. We're talking quantifiable facts here. A console can do more than a handheld. So when you put the same game, one handheld version one console version, side by side, the console version can have more content, faster load times, better controls, better visuals, better sound, faster internet connectivity ... you get the point.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Right. But it's not an opinion that it would be even better on a console. A controller is just better than the 3DS's little nub. If the same game were on console, it could have even more content, even better online, and probably better gameplay.

I said that handheld games are great. I said that. I'm not arguing that handheld games are bad. But games are better on a console, because a console can do things a handheld can't.

That's personal preference. And it has nothing to do with the fact that you can have more content, faster load times, and better controls on a console. I mean, if you prefer the handheld version, that's fine. I'm not arguing that you're wrong for thinking that way. But the game would be better on a console, and that's a fact. Hunting on a small screen, and using that little nub to control the camera is objectively inferior to hunting on a much larger screen, with a proper control stick.

And to add to my personal preference, the 3DS hurts my wrists after playing for a long time. There's no way I could put 300 hours into any 3DS game because my wrists simply don't hold up. I can do it on a console, though, simply because ergonomics. But that's neither here nor there.

So again, if you like that more, that's great. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. But you can't make the argument that handheld games are better because you like them more. We're talking quantifiable facts here. A console can do more than a handheld. So when you put the same game, one handheld version one console version, side by side, the console version can have more content, faster load times, better controls, better visuals, better sound, faster internet connectivity ... you get the point.
I get where you're coming from. I'm actually a little worried about you if your wrists are hurting just from the 3DS, I hope you don't have carpal tunnel or something. But I do feel the need to point out that I wasn't making the case that 3DS games are better because I like them better. My case was that 3DS games can be just as good as their Wii U counterparts, and many of them are. I'm not talking in terms of hardware because you're right about that, but in sheer enjoyability if that's a word. It's personal preference that I like them better, yeah, but I don't think you can say that about them being just as good/fun to play.

Also, as a side point, you don't need to use the little nub to control the camera. I never do. You can customize the touch screen to have a touch pad on it just like in 4U, and I use that very smoothly. The touch screen customization in MHGen is out of this world.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm a bit upset that there is a mario maker for the 3ds. I'm sure it's much better on a handheld, I feel weirdly betrayed.

Smash 4 is better on Wii U by far and Super Mario Maker is missing online on 3DS. But I agree with the rest of the games listed being better on 3DS.

At this point, I'm hesitant to purchase any of the platformers I haven't picked up for Wii U because they seem like easy ports. I would not be surprised to see Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and/or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on 3DS at some point.
Wait, Mario maker 3ds doesn't have online? I take that back then.

NO they're NOT! They are NOT similar ENOUGH! They're COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES!

No! You fail to understand MY POINT! They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES! They are NOT similar enough! How many god damn times do I have to say SM 3D World and SM 3D Land have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLOTS?! How many times do I have to say that Yoshi's Woolly World and Yoshi's New Island are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT games, with DIFFERENT GAMEPLAY, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ARTSTYLE, and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLOTS?! How many damn times do I say that NSMBU and NSMB2 both have DIFFERENT PLOTS?! How many times do I have to say DKC Returns (3D) and DKC Tropical Freeze have DIFFERENT PLOTS?!

So you're saying that buying both SM 3D World and SM 3D Land, despite them having COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES and PLOTS is pointless?! You're saying that buying both Yoshi's Woolly World and Yoshi's New Island is pointless, despite them having COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLOTS, DIFFERENT GRAPHICS, and somewhat DIFFERENT GAMEPLAY?! You're saying that despite the DIFFERENT STORIES and PLOTS, buying both DKC Returns (3D) and DKC Tropical Freeze or even both NSMBU and NSMB2 is pointless?!

Have NOT seen any videos about the games or played any of the games?! Cause it seems like you're just basing things on similarities, yet you FAIL to see the BIG DIFFERENCES and WHY it's WORTH buying both of EACH pair!
Calm down my man

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom