• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why a Shiekah?

G

garato

I read the manga a few months ago and it wasn't until then did I actually question this. =P In the manga (even thought it's non-cannon) Zelda was actually working for Ganondorf when she was dressed up like Shiek. It wasn't until the Spirit Temple in the manga when she revealed that she was disguised as Shiek so she could help Link, but actually appear to Ganondorf like she was leading him into his trap. Complicated, i know! XD

But since then, that's my opinion on it. Especially since right as she's captured by Ganondorf after giving Link the Light Arrows, that Ganondorf said he let her walk around like that to bring Link out of hiding.

But before all of this, I was thinking the same thing as you. That it was because of Impa. =)

sadly my friend i dont think manga really counts in this. its simple. zoras are slimy goron costums would weigh a ton kikorys are to small gerudo show to much of there bodys (giggdy) deku scrubs (ya right) and subrosians would be good if they were not so short

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Zelda had disguised herself as a Shiekah to confuse Ganon. Ganon knew that the Shiekah clan was betrayed by the Royal Family, so Ganon knew that Zelda wouldn't do that. I hope this helps you. It is also explained the the 2nd part to the manga book.

It also may have something to do with how mysterious the Sheikah are. I mean, normal Hyrulians don't go around dressing up like that with deku nuts galore....I think Zelda chose to be a Shiekah as a disguise because that was the most disguising disguise She could get.

It may aslo, in a way, be a personal to Zelda tribute to Impa, perhaps...

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
I always though Zelda's decision to become an under cover Sheikah was a stupid idea. By the time Link starts his adventure outside Kokiri Forest he soon learns about the disappearance and diminishing numbers of there whereabouts since the fierce wars.

Being a part of something which is dieing out is not what I call great undercover maneuvers. So who knows why she did it.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Who was Zelda's attendent her whole life prior to this incident? Impa.

Who did Zelda escape on horseback with when pursued by Ganon? Impa.

Who did she most likely hide out with for those 7 years? Impa.

What was Impa? A Sheikiah, possibly the last one.

While hiding with Impa, what abilities and ways would Zelda most likely have picked up? Those of the Sheikah, of course.

On top of that, if Impa knew that she was the last of her race, that would probably increase her determination to pass on as much of her wisdom as possible to the one person she might be able to trust. Who also happened to be the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom (which likely increased her ability to make use of the Sheikah's unusual knowledge), though Impa may not have known that.

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
well, you have to look at it this way, there are no female gorons, and zoras were frozen over... i think zelda realized ganondorf thought she would disguise herself as a zora, so not a viable option... gerudos may have been women only, but gannondorf is a gerudo, and they all (except nabooroo) obey him... acheiving the look of a kokiri is immpossible, and she cant stay a hylian, sheikah is all thats left, and lucky for zelda, she has a sheikah mentor, impa!!! yay!

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
Who was Zelda's attendent her whole life prior to this incident? Impa.

Who did Zelda escape on horseback with when pursued by Ganon? Impa.

Who did she most likely hide out with for those 7 years? Impa.

What was Impa? A Sheikiah, possibly the last one.

While hiding with Impa, what abilities and ways would Zelda most likely have picked up? Those of the Sheikah, of course.

On top of that, if Impa knew that she was the last of her race, that would probably increase her determination to pass on as much of her wisdom as possible to the one person she might be able to trust. Who also happened to be the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom (which likely increased her ability to make use of the Sheikah's unusual knowledge), though Impa may not have known that.

All of what you said is valid for 'why' she was lead to take on a Sheikah disguise.

What bothers me is that its not really a crowd-blending alias to use when hiding from a pursuer for seven years. But maybe Impa and Zelda were going more for the 'hide out in a cave and in the shadows' sort of thing. I know I'd use the former method.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
All of what you said is valid for 'why' she was lead to take on a Sheikah disguise.

What bothers me is that its not really a crowd-blending alias to use when hiding from a pursuer for seven years. But maybe Impa and Zelda were going more for the 'hide out in a cave and in the shadows' sort of thing. I know I'd use the former method.

I think they were, actually. Hyrule's population is actually pretty small. There isn't exactly a crowd to blend into, especially after Ganondorf is done with the place 7 years in the future. All the guards are gone, for instance.

But I would be willing to agree that it's not the best disguise for blending into the crowd. She'd have been better off disgusing herself as a carpenter if that had been her intention.

The thing is, I'm not sure that she could have acquired the skills to disguise herself as anything besides a Sheikah. The game implies that she led a pretty insulated life except for being around Impa and the castle. So even if it wasn't optimal, it might have been the only thing other than her normal form that she was able to pull off.

And you're right to question the effectiveness of it. For all we know, Ganon suspected and chased Shiek all along, but just wanted to bide his time until everything came together, so he could get both Link AND Zelda in one place, eliminate all threats to his power, and get both their parts of the Triforce (notice that Sheik was always in a hurry to get out of there). He may have even been toying with Sheik, and known he was Zelda the whole time, but was so arrogant he thought he could beat Link even at full strength. She DID get caught by him at the end, after all.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Retro Ganon said:
I think they were, actually. Hyrule's population is actually pretty small. There isn't exactly a crowd to blend into, especially after Ganondorf is done with the place 7 years in the future. All the guards are gone, for instance.
While I don't think that the game depicts every individual in Hyrule, I agree that her plan was more hiding than blending. But I saw a better answer on ZI: Zelda and Impa went to hide in the Hidden Village (the one seen in TP, founded by Impa). There, Zelda would have learned the ways of the Shiekah and eventually be able to stealthily go out into the world and help Link when he woke up.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I did not read the manga, just wanted to make that clear first. From what I have gathered, doesn't the Triforce resonate when near another piece? I know it did in WW but I am not sure if it did in OoT. That being the case it would be hard for Zelda/Shiek to be near Ganon without him finding out. So unless it was explained in the manga that he gave orders to someone to give to her then it does not seem plausible in my head.

It did when all 3 peices where close, in ganon's tower. perhaps it doesn't work unless all 3 are close by?

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Reading the manga will help you understand the answer a little better. Contrary to what many might think or claim, the manga (the OoT one, anyway) has been confirmed canon by Aonuma. In fact, he gave directions as to how the story would go- Himekawa just drew it out. It was made to further detail some aspects of the game that were not able to be done with the game's technology at the time. On top of that, it was a way of updating the game's story without wasting a lot of money to remake it. (SOURCE)

SO, the reason was so Zelda could "keep her friends close and her enemies closer". She needed to help Link, but she had to follow him around without looking suspicious to her enemy. So, she took the form of a male Sheikah. She became a "mysterious character whose loyalties were unclear".

So, the main question- why a Sheikah?

IMPA - OCARINA OF TIME MANGA (adult chapters)
"It won't be suspicious if you tell them when you get close that you're the descendent of the Sheikah, who a very long time ago were betrayed by the royal family and banished from Hyrule, and you've returned to Hyrule because of its collapse. Until 'that time' comes, I will put Princess Zelda's consciousness to sleep. Live now as a Sheikah Boy!"

There ya go. :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom