• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who else Agrees That Shooters Suck?

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Although I personally don't play any fpses, I do enjoy going over to my mates house and having a hour or so on halo. CoD is samey, but other shooters are actually good!

Last edited:

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
COD: Suckety Suck Suck
Halo: One of the best series
Resident Evil: I want to try it so bad.
Arcade style shooters: I love 'em
Metroid (2D and 3D): The story, gameplay and fun factor make the series so much fun.
Portal(If It counts): The physics, fun factor and gameplay makes the series one of my favourite series.

And that's all I can think of

Ganondork

goo
What people don't understand is that CoD and that like are not the only form of shooters out there, which puts a huge injustice upon a genre that definitely is very good. Call of Duty is very much overrated, but not by adults. I've had conversations with both teenagers and adults about their primary games that they play. Although I heard a lot of adults say Call of Duty, I heard more teenagers say it. It seems like teenagers play more Call of Duty because they believe it will make them a "hardcore gamer" when in reality, just playing a single, overrated shooter does not make you a hardcore gamer. Adults however, have learned to have a larger variety of games. I wouldn't be surprised if most Call of Duty sales are from teenagers.

However, you neglect the fact that there is more than just a first-person shooter. You have your third-person shooters which are very different story wise and gameplay wise. Just take a moment and think about the similarities between Mafia II and Modern Warfare 3. What's the best thing you can come up with? They use guns? They curse? A lot of games use both. Heck, Red Steel 2 wasn't even primarily a shooter, but there are guns and cursing there. Red Steel 2 and Call of Duty have nothing in common. Dead Space 2 is another example, a third-person shooter/horror. They are so far from each other in any case, one side is a war, the other is escaping from an infected space ship. There are plenty of other examples, and I could easily go on.

But first-person shooters are rarely similar too. Battlefield, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, yeah, they're similar, but because of the same setting; war. But look at Bioshock. Gameplay is entirely different, story is entirely different, characters are entirely different. There's almost no quality that Bioshock has that can be matched with Call of Duty. Calling First-Person Shooters all the same is a stereotype that really needs to be put to rest. I've played Call of Duty, I disliked it, but I moved on. You have to take into consideration that other people may like it, even though you don't. How many of your friends like Zelda? Cause so far my counter on mine is 0. First-Person Shooters are very different from games like Zelda, but just because one franchise isn't very good does not ever mean that the entire genre should suffer for it.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I like shooters, Metroid and Goldeneye are 2 of my favorites. Call of Duty used to be a great franchise but it is repetitive and it' lack of task that make you think makes it boring after a while. The story and gameplay is what draws me into and FPS. If it is like CoD where the gameplay never changes, with the exception of vehicle combat.

In Metroid you feel like you have finally mastered the game and they throw something new at you so that it stays interesting and keeps you coming back.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I hate these connotations that "a real gamer only plays these games." It's absurd. Anyone that's really into gaming doesn't limit themselves to a single kind of game just for the sake of it. The try many types of games. If there's a type they don't like, then no harm no foul. At least they tried it to see. Instead of just defiantly saying it'll never cross their hands. I like some Nintendo games, but I don't limit myself to them. I do have one CoD game and I do play it with people sometimes. It's overrated, yes. But it's not as terrible as the haters say it is. It's decent enough to play multiplayer, with people that are physically there with you. Might not be the best series ever but it's not completely bad. There are other shooters that are far better, Halo being one of them. Though Mass Effect beats them all, but that's third person shooter, not first person. Still I won't limit myself just because one particular series happens to be the best of its genre. Sometimes a little variety helps.

Not all shooters are bad. For me, I just don't like CoD or Battlefield type FPS's. But games like Bioshock, Metroid Prime, and especially Halo, are all good. The only third person shooters that I like are the Gears of War games. But that's just my opinion.

Big Octo

=^)
I enjoy FPSs very much. I don't play CoD much anymore, I might with my friends occasionally, though. I find other franchises just, well, better. I enjoy Battlefield and Halo quite a lot. Zombie shooters are always fun.

As many people have stated previously, many Nintendo fans generalize shooters way too much, often basing their ideas off f CoD. It should be known that their are a vast variety of shooters, and you'll more than likely find one you like.

I find FPS games to be enjoyable, but only for a few hours. Otherwise I tend to get bored.

I also haven't played any FPS games since Goldeneye007 and Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64.

So I have no idea about whether or not I would like the FPS games today or not. If I got one, I'd probably end up holing up until I was good, and then I would get bored with it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dead Space 2 is another example, a third-person shooter/horror. They are so far from each other in any case, one side is a war, the other is escaping from an infected space ship.
Actually, DS2 is featuring the 'war' of Isaac Clarke vs the Marker. ;D

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
While I agree that plenty of shooters are overrated, they in no way suck. Games like Halo and Conduit are actually great and very fun to play. Sure, they're mainly just shooting the crap out of things, but they have good stories to them that have kept me entertained throughout the entire game. I don't think there's any reason to say shooters suck just because you played one Call of Duty game and didn't like it. Try out some others. You just might enjoy them.

Teron

van der Nguyen
See, "shooters" is the wrong word you used. Shooters include not only FPS, but also third-person shooters like Gears, Lost Planet, tactical shooters like Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid, as well as side-scrolling run & gun games like Bionic Commando.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
As some people have already mentioned, the term "shooters" very vague term... I happen to enjoy first person shooters such as Call of Duty, Battlefield and Crysis :).. but am not a fan of third person shooters such as Gears of War. Because I enjoy first person shooters, I can't say that I feel "shooters" in general "suck". I'm just not a big fan of some of the more specific sub-genres, such as third person shooters.

I have quite alot of fun on CoD! Before I got into it I would have agreed, but now I like Zelda, Mario, CoD and that such. as for Halo I don't like it to much, I mean I'll play it, but I prefer CoD :P

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
you know i like the COD games i'm not going to lie. Though i like them when you play with your friends and all that jazz. When I was on deployment on my ship and the days were long and every other night were longer because of watch. And when you can scrape up the time we would go to the mess decks at night and whip out the call of duty and just have at it with eachother. Let me tell you during that whole deployment i have never had so many laughs and just "YEAH!!!" moments when playing those games. So no.. i don't think they are terrible at all lol!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I usually enjoy FPS games. Mind you, I haven't played/seen a great deal of them, but there is still interest there. GoldenEye 64 was the only one I would play for the longest time, but I've learned there there are some other goods ones out there.
I'm still not the biggest fan of the genre out there, but playing them every so often is great fun, sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom