• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Whip or the Hookshot/Clawshot?

Which do you prefer?

• Claw/Hookshot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whip

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well, since we've seen the whip used in the upcoming Skyward Sword, they will probably omit the Hook/Clawshot.
Which do you prefer? I personally don't like the whip that much. I'd rather the Clawshot, I think it looks better than an orange snake thing.

Q

quordlepleen

I love whips but for zelda the hook/claw shot is the only way to go in my mind. They made the whip work in ST but it was a bit too reminicent of Indiana Jones to me. Now if nintendo could fuse the whip and hook/claw shot that may be worth seeing.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I love whips but for zelda the hook/claw shot is the only way to go in my mind. They made the whip work in ST but it was a bit too reminicent of Indiana Jones to me. Now if nintendo could fuse the whip and hook/claw shot that may be worth seeing.
Shoot the clawshot at a target, then use the chain like the whip in that you could swing around. That'd be cool.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Whip is possibly the most useful item (and the most fun to use), but the Hookshot is the coolest. Easily. I'd like to see the Hookshot return in Skyward Sword, but I guess I could live without it. (Barely.) I need the Boomerang, though. Need the Boomerang.

Definitely hookshot. There's so much to do after when you get the hookshot/clawshot in any game, especially Twilight Princess, and they make for some really unique and difficult puzzles.

Pen

The game is on!
Definitely the whip! :D

Even though I've always loved the Hookshot and the Clawshot, the whip is something new. We've only seen the whip in Spirit Tracks before, and that was a 2D game (in my opinion), so to see a whip in a full 3D game like Skyward Sword will be totally awesome! :)

Also, the whip does look a lot better in Skyward Sword than it did in Spirit Tracks!
SS_Whip.png
Whip_ST.png

Djinn

and Tonic
The Hookshot and Clawshot always struck me as an odd thing to have in Hyrule, since Nintendo was going for a medieval fantasy setting. Then there is this strange mechanical robot arm/claw things that fires in any direction and can drag Link with it. It is so out of place every time it appears And since the design changes between each game, and sometimes there will be more than one in a game, that means that it is an almost common implement in Hyrule. That there are lots of various chained arrow firing mechanisms lying around in Hyrule waiting for some hero to rediscover and use. Maybe if it could be explained away as a common Sheikah item for getting around in tough situations, or a typical implement used in the city in the sky by the original inhabitants, but no Hylian in Castletown or Kakariko has anything remotely similar to that.

To me the grappling hook was perfect, it could help Link swing from location to location, steal items from enemies, grab items from a distance, and it's design was normal for the era and setting it appeared in. It was a perfect multi tool that required no special explanation for it's existence. It was not a sacred item built by the sages or a common technological wonder from the city in the sky, just a plain hook on a rope.

The whip could be used for many of the same purposes as the grappling hook. It can be used to swing around in high places, grab items, or stun enemies. And it would not need a special magitech explanation to rationalize it's appearance in the setting. Plus I think a whip wold be generally more fun to play with using a wiimote than using a hookshot to just point at a spot and press a button.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
Hookshot, but the whip can do a lot more, unless double clawshots are involved then them. The whip was a great item in ST and i think many other games should have a great innovative item that can be used outside of the temple you get it from. It never became obsolete like the spinner and dominion rod.

Poste

Servant To Zant
I think the whip... because it looks cooler, but the clawshot was and is a zelda classic. still i think that they should remake the whip because the clawshot/hookshot is overused

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I liked the use of the wip in ST. It has more options. Slap your enemies, swing from spot to spot and climb with it. So in this case it is more handy. But you can also target at the enemies with the clawshot in TP. I'm more used to the Clawshot/Hookshot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom