• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Which Was Scarier? The Forest Temple, the Well, or the Shadow Temple?

Which was scariest? The Forest Temple, the Well, or the Shadow Temple?

• Forest Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bottom of the Well

• Shadow Temple

• Total voters

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I could argue both ways here. They both are freaky/eerie in their own ways.

The Forest Temple was eerie because you didn't know what to expect, along with the fact that it is dark, long, and hard. Another concept that added to that effect would be the addition of the Poe Sisters and Phantom Ganon. The whole thing combined up into a very eerie temple.

The Bottom of the Well was just plain scary, with being dark, having skulls/skeletons everywhere, and... well... the Dead Hand. The Dead Hand was, to say the least, pants-crappingly freaky. There were also skeletons (indicating that others had died there) and blood in other places that made the whole thing a really creepy place.

The Shadow Temple was basically just as bad as the Well. The only additions were the hidden corridors, the Shadow Ferry, and Bongo Bongo.

I'll let you discuss your thoughts/opinions.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Creepiness I'd go for the Shadow Temple especially without the Lens of Truth also noting my very first time playing OoT and I was 5.

1 more thing the Shadow is very difficult without the Lens of Truth.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Well, out of those three, the least freaky is probably the Bottom of the Well, simply because it's so short. What really freaked me out in the Well were the little intangible holes in the floor. Those were more frustrating than anything, really.

Between the Forest Temple and the Shadow Temple... I have to give it to the Shadow Temple, simply because it is generally more scary throughout the whole dungeon. The Forest Temple had a few really creepy areas, but not a whole lot. The really creepy things in the Forest Temple have to include the Wallmasters (with Navi's little hint about the shadows dropping form the ceiling), and the twisted corridor. The twisted corridor was the freakiest part of the Shadow Temple to me, simply because I've been tortured with bad things happening to me in dark corridors... (Only in video games. :P)

The Shadow Temple was consistently creepy. Every enemy found within the Shadow Temple really added to the scary atmosphere, you know? Dead Hands, floormasters, mReDeads... Plus the bones littering the floor... Add in the dungeon's theme music, and you have some crazy carnival horror ride.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I meant to put in many of the same details as Soldier of Link but referring to the Shadow Temple part.

ReDeads always freaked me out and now because of my parents I am 1 plus reject from the rest of your family of Gibidos doesn't feel to good.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
What scared me the most used to be the room with the X-shaped cross in it... which dungeon was that in?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Bottom of the Well, by far. The Forest Temple isn't scary by any means, just eerie. The Shadow Temple was just an assault of the undead, and more disturbing than scary. The Bottom of the Well was creepy, as we didn't know what was gonna come out from behind the corner or where a false floor was. Everything about that place was just...*shutters.*

To me its a tie between the well and the Shadow temple.
Well they are more or less the same.
Both have false floors,Skulltulas,both have the same music.

Bottom of the well is by far the scariest part of OoT. With the hands and the eerie even creepy atmosphere. Always sends the shivers up my spine, more then Shadow temple for some reason maybe because it grew on me while playing the game.

Toboe

Melody Malone
The well was scary I was to scared that I didn't go in it till a few days later, I love the forest temple, it was not scary to me. The shadow temple was scary at some parts but not really, I don't like redeads I think there scary and disturbing, so when I went into the temple I was freaked when I found redeads there and I had to kill them to go on. It took me a while to beat both the well and the shadow temple, I have played the game twice and I got over the well after that but not redeads, sorry I ramble on about things. And sometimes I can be a nerd :nerd: about games I really like, like wind waker.

S

Skyward

Shadow Temple. Definately, because it had the pants-crappingly morbid Bongo Bongo in it.
Bottom of the Well being a close follow-up because of the reasons you listed D:

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
Aside from the Wallmasters, the Forest Temple wasn't really that creepy. It did have the feeling of an abandoned mansion, but for me, that just made it mysterious. I never understood why people found the place extremely creepy.

The first half of the Shadow Temple is definitely creepy. The rooms are decently small and can be confusing before you get the map and compass. Once you get to the large room with the guillotines, though, I felt that it lost that scary feel. Not even the ferry creeped me out. The music kept some of that feeling, but really, it just became slightly unnerving than outright scary.

Bottom of the Well, though, absolutely freaks me out. One of the reasons is that Bubble the flies around. That thing is huge and something about the way it moves just makes me nervous. Then there's Dead Hand, of course. Actually, I think a big reason I found this place much scarier than any where else has to do with the fact that Link's a kid. For some reason, I get more nervous when he's young than when he's an adult. Maybe it has to do with his height compared to the monsters'. I do know that the redeads you encounter as Young Link still scare me while the ones as Adult Link just annoy me.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
The Forest Temple holds a special creepy place in my heart. I always found the music pretty unsettling, coupled with the whole "abandoned mansion look". During a recent playthrough, I fell asleep during my game (it being early morning hours and all) and woke up to my game frozen, but with the freaky music still playing. But that's simply a personal experience..Perhaps it is more eerie than traditionally scary.. But eerie for me is just as good. I would tie it with the Bottom of the Well. The name/location itself is unsettling, I guess the idea of an abyss, or the whole "Ring"-like motif, too. Obviously, the blood and the skeletons. When I first fought the Dead Hand, I probably jumped. One of the creepiest, if the most creepy enemies of the game..Just its movements and design and face.. ugh. The wall pictures were scary too, and the fact that you do this one as a child really adds to it.

The Shadow Temple was kinda scary, sure. But it didn't leave as much of an impact. For me, I feel like the Bottom of the Well came first, and kind of "conditioned" me for the Shadow Temple, and it wasn't as scary. Bongo Bongo was weird, but annoyed me more than anything else :/

bottom of the well, by far, because that's the only one of them were suddenly there was no floor so you fell down to redeads

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom