• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What's Something That OoT64 Did/does Better Than OoT3DS?

I am planning on getting both versions (64 first), but I wanted to ask everyone who's played both if they could name something that the original did better than the 3DS remake. Obviously, the 3DS one is superior technologically speaking (and Water Dungeon speaking xD), but if you could name something 64 did better, that would be great.

And no guys, Nostalgic Value does not count :P

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Puzzles. The 3DS version REALLY watered some of those down and made them ridiculously easy. It's clear when Nintendo feels the need to apologize for challenging their player and not for making them waste hours of sailing, they clearly do not want to challenge us at all.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
over-under_yale-wolf_nothing_2_u_1000.jpg

Puzzles. The 3DS version REALLY watered some of those down and made them ridiculously easy. It's clear when Nintendo feels the need to apologize for challenging their player and not for making them waste hours of sailing, they clearly do not want to challenge us at all.

...What the hell are you talking about? The puzzles were exactly the same.

Did we play the same game?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I haven't played OoT3D (I do intend too) however I have seen playthroughs, reviews and various opinions enough to actually make a judgement on the game itself. To me it just seems like an improvement on the original in all ways; Graphics, controls, efficiency, overworld detail and the few additions that where thrown in.

Some big complaints I see is mainly from some of the increases in efficency of gameplay and controls as if they should have been the same as the original. The whole switching to the iron boots was just an inconvenience and not a gameplay design that was purposely done to increase difficulty as was some of the unclear directions in the water temple. Ocarina of Time improved on some of these convinces to generally make an overall more efficient experience to the player, it was a remake to improve on the original and bring it to a new set of modern Nintendo fans. Also another complaintabout the Sheikah Stones, they are not compulsory, meaning that you don't have to use them! To be honest this common complaint is overall harsh in my opinion, it's just a effective way of helping out those who seek help.

The only negative that I can actually see is the whole handheld console, it's not that I don't like handhelds but as well as their advantages they do have their disadvantages as well. For one playing Ocarina of Time on a smaller screen may detach from the gameplay, however this si the only problem I see and it's a very small problem that shouldn't altar anyone's decision.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
...What the hell are you talking about? The puzzles were exactly the same.

Did we play the same game?

No they aren't. The structure is the same. The solution is the same. But in OoT 3DS, you are more or less given the answer before even pondering what the solution could be. If you want me to get you footage, I will get you footage. But first, let me ask, how often did you actually played the original OoT before switching to the DS version?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
No they aren't. The structure is the same. The solution is the same. But in OoT 3DS, you are more or less given the answer before even pondering what the solution could be. If you want me to get you footage, I will get you footage. But first, let me ask, how often did you actually played the original OoT before switching to the DS version?

I want footage of a side by side comparising with arrows explaying what makes it so that" you are more or less given the answer before even pondering what the solution could be"
You see the exact samething just with more details. I personly loved sail in wind waker but then again your wind waker remark and mine had nothing to do with the thread.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

Get me some footage.

Difficult question since i really prefer OoT3D t the original even though i was primed and expecting to hate it....

One thing that OoT64 did better than 3D... hmmm, OoT64 didnt have SS posters in it... also i liked the easter egg in the Courtyard better in N64, having paintings was much better than a random Mario 3D Land-esque scene

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The easter eggs as Spirit said were, in my opinion, better in the 64 version. Of course that is probably me remembering when Zelda, Mario, Kirby, and several other Nintendo franchises were interconnected even if through non-canon.

Scare factor regarding the Shadow Temple imo is done better in 64 because of the darker palette.

Water Temple is a LOT harder and therefore much more taxing in 64 due to inventory switching and lack of "this room does this function" colors on every door that siwtches water level. :3

Other than that, you might as well get OoT3D and a 3DS XL for what's basically the same service with an additional mode.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Change gaming forever. Become the envy of the PS1.
I don't think OoT3D could ever accomplish the same feeling of the original though as at that time it was revolutionary... However I would definitely have to disagree on the PS1 note, both consoles where extremely successful and each can stand their own ground in many ways.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
The only two that were relly puzzles were the one in the lost woods playing saria's song and the time block. I did not rember the time block sticking out. Although the saria's songs was all ready a week puzzle. As for the forest temple the compass would of giveing you almost the same effect. This prevented neeless backtracking. These to me at least are minnor. They did not change any of the major puzzles.
I am also sorry about my coment before I had a teacher not except a paper becouse of formating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom