• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Zelda Might Be the Best First One

What Zelda would you present?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Adventures of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majoras Mask

• Oracle Series

• Wind Waker

• Four Swords

• Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword?

• Total voters

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I would start with Ocarina of Time because it has an alright difficulty and a great foundation for future 3D Zelda games. I am also thinking about suggesting a Link to the Past because that laid the foundation for Ocarina of Time and so on. The only reason I would not recomend Alttp is the difficulty, although I didn't find Alttp extremely difficult a person who is new to video games and the whole Zelda franchise then it may be difficult for them, so OoT gets my vote for a beginner to Zelda.

M

Mikau38

I started off on OoT so i would give them that. of they didnt have a n64 then it would be TP. its a bit more streamline than WW. less side quests and wandering.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
Depending on the gamer, I would say either Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. OoT is very balanced when it comes to difficulty, but someone who has never gamed before or a casual gamer would struggle. And I hate to bring up graphics, but a lot of a game's initial appeal comes from visuals and a lot of new gamers might lose interest in the N64 polygons. I know plenty of people who are possible casual gamers at best and they often dismiss older games as 'outdated' and thus lose interest in them.

If I'm dealing with a person who isn't really interested in older games, TP would definitely be a better choice to introduce the series. The extremely long tutorial section in the beginning would actually be helpful for a new/casual gamer who most likely wouldn't be able to just pick up the controls. The easy enemies and bosses would be good to introduce how the game is set up without the player getting frustrated from dying over and over.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I'd pick Twilight Princess to show someone. I'd be afraid that with any other game they'd either say it's outdated and not be into it, or it's too "kiddy," then not want to bother with any other game. Twilight Princess looks phenomenal, has a pretty decent story, gameplay that kind of holds your hand through the game a bit (which is good for someone who has never played Zelda), and it's not terribly difficult.

I would immediately follow up after they were done with TP with "OK, now here's Ocarina of Time, the most famous game of the series. It's from N64, but it's a really good game, so just ignore outdated graphics."

Ocarina of Time for sure.

1. For many, it is the definitive title, like what Super Metroid or Metroid Prime is to the Metroid franchise.
2. Almost every other Zelda game stems off of it. The Wind Waker makes constant references to Ocarina of Time (it even gives you cliff notes of it in the game's intro) and I consider The Wind Waker a sequel. A Link to the Past references it. The towns in Adventure of Link are named after important characters. It explains the origins of Ganon and his rise to power, thus explaining how Ganon came to be in every Zelda game that involves him. And for so long, (1998-Recent) it was the beginning. It was the first in the timeline, and made sense of events that occured in other Zelda games. (I wish it would stay this way. Unfortunately, it has been confirmed that Skyward Sword is before OoT in the timeline, and it is the beginning. That said, I'll always consider Ocarina of Time the real beginning, because it explains the Triforce, Ganondorf's rise to power, the Hero's Clothes in every other game, and everything.)

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Ocarina of Time because it's one of the easiest games to find out where you have to go next and pretty good play for a new LoZ player.

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
I think that ALttP and Oot are the most Zeldaish. Both had Gannon, both has the most classic puzzles and both has the simple basic form of 3 dungeons and then a twist following by a few harder dungeons.

Ocarina of Time. My opinion probably won't change even after the release of SS, because OoT introduces you to sooooooooo many basic Zelda concepts that are hinted at/changed/have variations there of in pretty much every Zelda game to follow. If I had a second choice...Twilight Princess.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Oh wow, this thread is not what I thought it was at first. I'm glad I found this, good idea, Verto. ^^

Honestly, this is an easy choice. I would pick Twilight Princess without a second thought. I've got several reasons for this, starting with the difficulty.

For one thing, I wouldn't recommend a 2D Zelda game like ALttP or LA, only because those are usually harder to an inexperienced gamer than a 3D title. Twilight Princess is often thought of as the easiest Zelda game, so why not start there? The controls are very fluid, at least in the GameCube version. This would get a gamer new to the Zelda world aquainted with the controls, because, for example, the blocking, is fool-proof. Unlike OoT, enemies' attacks in TP hardly ever hurt you with your shield up. Also, you only have to press one button to defend and target, also unlike OoT, and Wind Waker as well. As far as difficulty, I would pick either TP or WW to give to a newbie, probably the former.

Another thing is the graphics. Someone who is used to modern graphics might be a little turned off by OoT's graphics (and slightly shaky controls). Again, in this area, I might recommend TP or WW, but possbily PH or ST, even MC, as well.

I think I would start someone off with a console Zelda game, just because the difficulty level isn't too frustrating, and they're easier to master. In this regard, WW or TP would be perfect. If the person (whoever they may be), preferred a handheld Zelda game, I'd probably give them PH or ST.

Overall, I think Twilight Princess is the perfect game to start someone out on, and let them get the feel of the series. TP was the first Zelda game I ever beat, and now I'm hooked on Zelda. I'm pretty sure anyone else would feel the same way.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Link's Awakening for pretty much any player. It eases the player into the difficulty curve, from the simple and easy opening dungeons to the convoluted mazes of the last three dungeons. It is also, at least in my opinion, by far the best 2D Zelda of them all. The game is a classic and its lenient difficulty curve make it a must for beginning players. I think ALTTP would be better as the second game, since it is significantly more difficult than LA.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I would present LoZ ALTTP. my fav and first game. Since I know more about it when I played it. Anyway, it's some zelda fans fav SNES game. It interested me in the zelda series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom