• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Would You Like to See in a Zelda Game?

B

boomerang

(I apologize if there's already a topic for this I didn't see any)

this isn't just for Skyward Sword but any future Z game or about past games.
specifically; ideas for items or plot points that they never did, or specific things you didn't like that they could improve on.

Personally I'd like to have multiple vehicles, instead of one major one; a train, a horse, a ship, an airship etc...

One major thing, (I haven't played all the games so I could be wasting my breath here) I'd like to see them bring back and improve some of the original stuff in Zelda 1 & 2 and see them in 3D. like the raft, magic wand, wizrobes...

to have link say something. or, furthermore, have a more complete dialogue option, like the ability to converse with characters. Instead of them just saying something to Link, they could say something and you'd have a few options of phrases (e.g.) to say back, this opens up possible puzzles too.

Kybyrian

There are a lot of things that I want to see in a Zelda game, and a lot of them we already have. I'm going to point out some of the more obvious things and then some of the other little details.

Gameplay, of course. Gameplay is a big part of a game in my opinion. If the gameplay is not smooth, then you aren't going to enjoy the game. I don't care if the game has the most excellent story in the world or anything, if the gameplay is horrible then it just isn't going to be good.

Next up comes the story. The game has to have a pretty good story. It always makes a great game even better if you enjoy the story that's behind the game. There are some games that have little to no story at all. Not really Zelda games, though I believe there may have been a couple like that. Most of the games that have no real good story are typically more boring to play. That is unless they add in something else amazing to try and cover it up. You can always use a great story in a game to make it 10x better, though.

Characters are also a big part of any game. I like having many characters that you are able to interact with. In a lot of games there are only a few select characters through the game that you can do much with. Most of them are a part of the main story. I don't like this. I believe that all games should have a wide variety of characters with different stories behind them, or sidequests relating to them. It's always fun you meet a character like that. I think Majora's Mask did a great job with this, and I would love to see a Zelda game pay more attention to other minor characters and sidequests than just to the main story. Not saying that they should improve on this and ruin the characters throughout the story, though.

Graphics. Whine all you want, the graphics do make a difference. Though they only really make a big difference in games that don't have the other aspects shining. If a game has awesome gameplay, story, characters, and whatever else, the graphics aren't going to make too much of a difference. At least it won't if they aren't completely unbearable. Everybody who has said that graphics make absolutely no difference are absolutely wrong. If you have a game with flawless graphics then it's going to make the game even better. The good thing is, though, that worse graphics don't really affect the game as much as spectacular graphics. Keep in mind that by flawless graphics, I don't necessarily mean realistic ones. If we had a Zelda game where we had all of the characters looking exactly like real people, I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable. By flawless graphics I mean ones that aren't too bad, but also aren't made too realistic.

Items are one of the more little things that I was talking about. I know that there are a lot of people that don't pay as much attention to the items of the games, and don't really see how much they can affect the entire game. Good items can lead to great things. If there's a nice, unique item that you can do a lot of things with, many possibilities then arise. You can do all sorts of things with a good item. Make different enemies, use them in puzzles, overworld obstacles, a general use that could make a few things easier, or whatever else your mind can think of. Items are one of the smaller things that can make a big difference in the game.

I'm going to stop here. There are a lot more things that I would love to see in a Zelda game, and what makes games great overall. Those are some of my main ones.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I would like to see Nintendo make an turned based combat rpg where Link can carry up to four people with him to help him on his adventure. (Valkyrie Profile Style)
Not only that but it would be awesome if every character that has appeared through-out the series is recruitable and each one with special abilities depending on their form, class, etc. Hmm, I am drooling about it even as I type this. I enjoy rpgs much, so if this were to happen in a Zelda game, I'd be one happy camper.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
I would like to see Nintendo make an turned based combat rpg where Link can carry up to four people with him to help him on his adventure. (Valkyrie Profile Style)
Not only that but it would be awesome if every character that has appeared through-out the series is recruitable and each one with special abilities depending on their form, class, etc. Hmm, I am drooling about it even as I type this. I enjoy rpgs much, so if this were to happen in a Zelda game, I'd be one happy camper.

Except it would no longer be a Legend of Zelda game anymore.

I would like it if Link had multiple vehicles, or take what MM did and have Link turn into different types of animals for short amounts of time, fish for water, horse for running, bird for flying etc ^^

K

kalikid98

blood and gore. let me guess ''it wouldnt be zelda anymore'' still though i would like it

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I'm going to take this as a general improvement question and not just a description of what I think the general skelton of any good Zelda game is. It will be very embaressing if I've got this the other way round.

Firstly, I think Miyamoto has finally got to let break the silence and for the first time introduce full voice acting. This has ever been my one and sole problem with the Zelda series, the substitution of real voices with moans and groans, it's enough to send a man psychotic. Obviously, it's gotten to the point in the line where giving Link or even Ganondorf a voice would seem a little strange and should be steered away from. However, I don't see the logic behind making every other character in the game talk in Ogre. Why don't they? Not enough money to cast the characters? Oh please Nintendo, you're a multi-million yen organisation, I'm sure paying a few coppers for some decent voice actors isn't going to hurt?
I know alot of people don't want voice acting, but I find it so frustrating having no spoken dialogue in any of the Zelda games except from a few anomalies.

Characters are also a big part of any game. I like having many characters that you are able to interact with. In a lot of games there are only a few select characters through the game that you can do much with. Most of them are a part of the main story. I don't like this. I believe that all games should have a wide variety of characters with different stories behind them, or sidequests relating to them. It's always fun you meet a character like that. I think Majora's Mask did a great job with this, and I would love to see a Zelda game pay more attention to other minor characters and sidequests than just to the main story. Not saying that they should improve on this and ruin the characters throughout the story, though.

Following on from what Kybyrian said, which I agree with entirely, I think they should use more recycling of characters or maybe just with brief cameos. Such examples of my point maybe that they should have had such characters as Kaepora Gaebora in TP, I thought he would have been well incorporated into such a game, maybe not playing the same role as OoT but some sort wisdom related role. Or maybe even King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, seeing as Zelda stood before the throne in TP and yet was still refered to as a Princess one must assume that their is still a king to rule a "kingdom". The biggest inclusion I think that they could make on SS is possibly the re-inclusion of the Kokiri, they were instrumental to the story line of OoT and I want them to be involved with the story of SS.

My last little rant I'm going to make is the choice to go back from TP towards WW with the graphics. I think Miyamoto had made the right decision to for a more realistic setting with TP, I personally disliked the graphics for WW so TP was a welcome new experience for me. Now that this new style has been released on the trailer for SS, I personally feel a little let down. I know I will love the game when I play it, however, I was really hoping that they were going to use TP's graphics and even expand on it, so this would ahve been my final improvement.

Nice thread, kept me ranting for a while! :)

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
If you're asking me what would be the perfect Zelda game, this is what I would ask for:
-ORIGINALITY (This one's important for me)
-Many sidequests (But no collectibles)
-Non-linear story
-Emotional parts
-Orchestrated music
-Innovative controls, items and dungeons
-Voice acting (I'm actually warming up to the idea and I think it would draw me into the game more. Link should remain silent though).
-Characters that you actually care for
-An "epic" feel

^If all these aspects were combined, the result would be a game of perfection (For me, at least).

Last edited:
-Amazing plot that drives the game-play with lots of references to past Zelda games.
-Orchestrated music by Koji Kondo as a composer and not a director.
-Fantastically done voice acting with mouth animations to match properly.
-Tons and tons of content, including side-quests and mini-games with interesting collectibles that are fun to actually get.
-Deep characters that you actually feel connected to, that have a past, and that you can interact with.
-Amazing graphics whether that be realistic, cartoon, painting, whatever; as long as it looks different from previous installments and better.
-Uniqueness. I don't want a game trying to copy the feel or game-play of any past Zelda. Like how MM was different and how WW was different.
-Really tough, epic boss fights. Crazy complexing puzzles, and really unique and thoughtout dungeons, like stone tower temple, great bay temple, and snowhead temple.
-Non-linearity!!!!!
-A romance scene. Just sayin...

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would like a lot of dungeons, things that would require me to backtrack and hunt through old dungeons for things I couldn't get the first time.

I would like to see more choices in the game, ways that your progress can branch out into different possible outcomes. Not necessarily good and evil, but various things could happen differently if you succeed or fail at certain tasks, or demonstrate a particular personality.

I would also like to see a number of very well fleshed-out characters, rather than one character receiving all the attention like Midna did in TP.

A submarine.... maybe he can travel the ocean via Jabu Jabu, and look out his eyes like windows... I dunno, an underwater zelda would be very interesting indeed...

B

boomerang

wow some really interesting stuff:)

some other things that I'd like; some people mentioned similar ideas

if they did voices Link better talk. Does link talk at all in any game with text? the only time I know of is: "I found a mirror under the table" in AOL.

I love music so I'd like to see not only more nice backg music but more diverse music. Some nice calm orchestral music for quiet parts, then maybe some--some times I play hard rock in the background of a battle during OOT. why not?

oh & forgot originally to say I'd like to have magic spells like in AOL (one of the few things I really like about that game). Except even more. like an invisible spell, where link can turn invisible. no idea how that would work though.

I have a hunch that they aren't deviating away from originality much with Zelda is because they already did that with Mario. There's Mario RPG's, Mario kart, Mario Tennis, golf, party, Mario gets drunk... maybe they think that's enough? idk.

one other thing, I really hated this about OOT. Link can use his sword underwater and everything about the water temple seemed so limited. why not swim, use items etc underwater? Is there a Zelda game like this?

Link-182
-Amazing plot that drives the game-play with lots of references to past Zelda games.
-Orchestrated music by Koji Kondo as a composer and not a director.
-Fantastically done voice acting with mouth animations to match properly.
-Tons and tons of content, including side-quests and mini-games with interesting collectibles that are fun to actually get.
-Deep characters that you actually feel connected to, that have a past, and that you can interact with.
-Amazing graphics whether that be realistic, cartoon, painting, whatever; as long as it looks different from previous installments and better.
-Uniqueness. I don't want a game trying to copy the feel or game-play of any past Zelda. Like how MM was different and how WW was different.
-Really tough, epic boss fights. Crazy complexing puzzles, and really unique and thoughtout dungeons, like stone tower temple, great bay temple, and snowhead temple.
-Non-linearity!!!!!
-A romance scene. Just sayin...​
I liked everything there, especially the last stuff. I hate when a game is really easy then gets suddenly hard. how bout start out simple and gradually get more tough & complex until it's crazy hard. & more puzzles that are a little more complex than just push these big obvious blocks around in this direction.

Z

Zora X

What I Am Hoping to See in the Future of the Zelda Series.

I am hoping to see a dark/cool looking graphic style action game, I'm not saying I don't like the puzzles, but I just want more action. I want the series to maybe start drifting away from the cartoon style directed for younger ages, and maybe try to appeal to older audiences. I want the combat system to be faster instead of the slow syle in all the games, what I mean is more enemies faster attacks, cool combos, more brutal techniques. I also really want it to have a deep story, most of the storys in the Zelda series aren't that in depth. It is usually collect items to get another item then visit the temple to save something, or somebody. I was thinking that the series should actually have some sort of story that is unique isnstead of the old grabbing items from temples. So overall what I am saying is in the future of the Zelda series I want to see at cooler, hardcore action, faster paced, amazing story, game that ins't childish and can allow for a better overall experience.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I would like to see that to but Nintendo has to be fair.
Obviously they are going to want to attract younger audiences but they will go to the older audiences as well.
So Nintendo can't make everyone happy so they are going to make the majority happy.
I however, Agree with you on that style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom