• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern What Should I Play Next?/What is Your Favourite Modern LoZ?

C

Civil

Howdy folks!

First time poster on the forum, and I'm a bit of a Zelda noob, I only finished Ocarina of Time 3D for the first time this afternoon. It was my very first LoZ game and I must say, I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would! I'm kind of on a Zelda high right now and I was wondering, which of the many amazing games I should play next. I've got a 3DS and a Wii and I'd love to hear what you think I should play next and why, maybe give me a few of your fond memories :)

Thanks for reading. :)

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
well i would say... you sould get: spirit tracks, majoras mask, twilight princess. i recomend only getting ONE of the ds zeldas because if you play one the other will be a letdown. (in my opinion) spirit tracks has more stuff than phantom hourglass so get that. as for majoras mask, download it from the virtaul consle. its really good and really dark too. the transormation masks a barrels of fun to use so i would definatly recomend it. as for twilight princess althogh lots of people say its too similar to ocarina of time, i dont think that matters since they are both great games which i loved. also wind waker is pretty good but if you are the impatient sort i dont recomend it. before ypu use my recomendations i think you should check some reveiws online before you buy any of these. just to be safe.

Welcome to the site!

With your Wii and 3DS, there are only four official games you couldn't play: Link's Awakening (though that is going to be or may already be available for download on the 3ds), Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap.

After playing Ocarina of Time, I'd suggest Wind Waker (Gamecube), Twilight Princess (Wii/Gamecube), Majora's Mask (Virtual Console or Zelda: Collector's Edition (Gamecube)) if you don't mind a time limit, or A Link To the Past (Virtual Console).

Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are probably most similar to Ocarina of Time, so if you enjoyed OOT, you would probably also like those two. As Dadude1200 said, it would be wise to also look at reviews before making a purchase.

C

Civil

I really like the art style of Wind Waker but does its change in art direction mean a similar change in the actual play style of the game? I also really love the concept of Majora's Mask, but I've heard it is really morbid, like no matter what you do you can never completely save everyone.

does its change in art direction mean a similar change in the actual play style of the game?
Most people would say Wind Waker is easier than Ocarina, though I'd say they're about equal. The play style of the game is pretty similar. The one major difference is that you can sail between 49 islands instead of running to 8-ish locations.

I also really love the concept of Majora's Mask, but I've heard it is really morbid, like no matter what you do you can never completely save everyone.

The game is darker than the other games, but it's not true that you can't save everyone. The darkness comes partially from the fact that it is a much more character driven game, and because of that, there is a lot of drama. You get to know characters pretty well and you see their struggles, some of them darker than others. At the end of the game, though, the day is saved. If you don't mind the playing mechanic of resetting the clock every three game days (the biggest obstacle for most players), you'll probably enjoy it. Majora's Mask was originally one of my least favorite Zelda games because I didn't like the three-day time limit, but in the past few years it's grown on me and is not only my favorite Zelda game, but actually my favorite game of all time.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
If you're looking strictly at modern/3D zeldas, I would suggest wind waker (As you can see by my avatar and name). Its story connects to Ocarina of Time's very well and you'll have fun seeing the references. It's also somewhat easy, so it's easier to get into and enjoy, and there's a lot of side content. If/when you ever want to play a 2D game, I would spend the extra money to get a gba sp and get minish cap, it's a great game to get you into the 2D's. Once you get good at the zelda style of gameplay, I would strongly suggest downloading Link's Awakening from the e-shop and giving that a go.

Buy Majora's Mask via Virtual Console, then buy a used copy of Twilight Princess for either Wii or GameCube.
Then try out The Wind Waker, and if you don't mind the vehicle travel move on to Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.
Those last two are a good fusion of the 3D games and the classic 2D ones, so if you feel like you need more Zelda after that, you can move on to the original game, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening on 3DS.

Great to hear you started out your Zelda love with such a great game! The next thing I would do would to get on the VC on your Wii and get Majoras Mask. That game is challenging but it will not let you down. (no zelda will let you down). If that is not your cup of tea, i'd say get WindWaker. Then Phanton Hourglass.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The next game you should get would be either Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask. Then get The Wind Waker and follow it up with A Link to the Past. Then just play all the Zelda games. And don't forget to get Skyward Sword when it comes out! ;D

Oh, by the way, glad you enjoyed Ocarina of Time 3D. :)

Garo

Boy Wonder
A lot of people are saying to get Majora's Mask; I would actually advise against that.

Despite Majora's Mask being my favorite Zelda game, I would not recommend it to newcomers. It is a very different sort of Zelda game, and one that can be brutally punishing for new Zelda players. I would first recommend you verse yourself in the Zelda style and mindset before playing Majora's Mask. With that in mind, I highly suggest Twilight Princess or Wind Waker - both of those follow the events of Ocarina of Time in some way, and offer the same sort of gameplay without mixing things up too greatly. My personal recommendation would be to try Wind Waker first, as long as you are a fan of the art style. The dungeons in Wind Waker are not overly complex, and it also introduces you to the "Overworld search" aspect of many Zelda games.

But it is wonderful to hear that you have become a Zelda convert. Welcome to the Matr - er, welcome to ZD. :)

C

Civil

Thanks so much for all of the replies, guys!

I think I'm going to play Wind Waker next, I have completely fallen in love with the art style and the story. I shall then play Majora's Mask and TP. Maybe even Phantom Hourglass If I can squeeze it in before the release of Skyward Sword.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome! You don't usually get it on forums these days. :)

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
My first LoZ was Twilight Princess and is still by far the best with OoT a close second. TP is lots of fun and uses rich mature graphic style, I think this should be your next LoZ

skybird11

state alchemist
I personally hate majoras mask. i would recomend twilight princess next due to overworld travel via horse or walking, similar to ocarina of time. then i'd recomend wind waker afterwards because it's another great game. and if you are going to play a ds game then i'd do spirit trax over hourglass.

don't worry about timelines for now since your a new player. just have fun with the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom