• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think About Metroid?

What Do You Think About Metroid?
I just beat the original Metroid a few days ago, and have already beaten 18 metroids in the second game! I was wondering, what do you think of the Metroid series? I think its a great classic game, and based on what I've heard about super Metroid, I cant wait to play that one.

Last edited:
The Metroid series is quite simply fantastic. It's my all-time favorite game series, mainly because it features my all-time favorite style of video game gameplay, exploration based platforming.

Although I could never get in to the original NES Metroid, I still think Metroid II is an incredibly fine title. It's not for everyone, but I still thoroughly enjoy it. Super Metroid deserves a spot on the top 10 greatest games of all time list in my book, just because it captures exploration-based platforming like no other game has ever done. Zero Mission and Fusion are awesome games that I emulate and play through even today.

The Prime series is also fantastic. The later two may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've yet to find anyone who truly thought the first one was a bad game or a step in the wrong direction. Again, exloration-based FPS at its absolute finest.

Other M is where people either drink the cool-aid and go with popular opinion, or they just hate because of the story and execution. The concerns are warranted, but I don't think Other M is a bad game, and I don't think it's the worst thing to every happen to gaming ever (those who think the latter truly do annoy me). Yes, it had quite a few steps in the wrong direction, but it could have been a true series-killer such as Sonic 06.

All in all, one of gaming's greatest franchises for sure. I'm really hoping we get another in the near future.

I've only played a few Metroid games, they're hit n miss with me

Metroid-the original is one I never played as a child and like any awesome NES game it blew me away, however some of that awesome
rubbed off the further I progressed because I get lost real easy. still an amazing game though. I'll hafta tackle it with a walkthrough.

Metroid Fusion-this is kind of a cool game but I'm not hooked on it. I play it once in a while.

Metroid Other M-the controls are decent but the mechanics are crap and being hindered by ******* Adam really ******* me off! I won't play it anymore. wtf were they smoking when they decided that you can't do crap unless he tells you too was a good idea?

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption-I'd enjoy it more but for some reason my camera keeps swinging out of control. I dunno if this happens with other peoples cameras but I'm not having fun, pity, I heard the Prime games were amazing.

Super Metroid-holy %$*^%& this game is so SO awesome! my favorite of the Metroid games I played! it's got great atmosphere, great music, fun gameplay, haven't got the hang of wall jumping yet though gorgeous graphics! one of the most awesome games on the SNES. how did I miss this as a kid?

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's an amazing series. The exploration, challenge, and atmosphere are amazing. I'm playing Prime for the first time, and I'm finding it better than Metroid, Zero Mission, or Super Metroid. I don't wanna repeat what's been said, but there's great challenge and fun to be had. Though I warn you to be prepared to look things up. My first clueless runthrough of Super Metroid got me to throw a controller at the inability to find anything. Though I find most people handle it better. I also find it to be not quite as overtly immature as the other Nintendo series, and I feel it could be good to use Metroid to promote their image. I just hope for a new Metroid on Wii U soon that will make me forget Other M. Other M was a blemish. The dialogue was long, Samus was a monotone fool, the gameplay was fun at times but uninventive, the first person mechanics were frankly terrible. Still, the franchise has great potential. The combination of lonely silent protagonists in eery worlds with great action is missing from most of today's games, although increased story development and new characters would be welcome, if handled by someone other than Team Ninja.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, I haven't played any besides Prime 1 and 2, But so far, I LOVE IT. :3

Metroid (Prime anyway) is one of the select few First Person Shooters I actually like. I had so much fun playing Prime, and Prime 2 was even cooler. I need to play Prime 3. I started it up one day, but haven't advanced with it, so I think I'm going to start over next time.

But yeah, I've seen snippets of other Metroid games, and I tried to play Super Metroid, but I couldn't get the hang of it.
(wall jumping is a pain in the AAAASSSSS!!!!!)

But so far, I'm really liking the series.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Oh yes, how I do love the Metroid series. I've beat Super Metroid, Prime, Fusion, Zero Mission, Echoes, Corruption and Other M, most several times. I haven't got the opportunity to play Prime Pinball or Hunters yet, and while I've bought Metroid and Return of Samus on Virtual Console, I've hardly touched them. For the sake of keeping this short, let's just say I think quite highly of the series, and it's something everybody ought to try out.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Right below Zelda and Pokemon, Metroid is my favorite gaming franchise. I love the exploration aspect to it, and how it's in an intergalactic setting but you're not just shooting things all the time like most space-age settings (or getting wrapped up in a space opera like some others) and get to actually explore the alien worlds. I also really like Samus Aran, because she's a ruthlessly-efficient bounty hunter when she needs to be (which is almost all the time) who also isn't afraid to show her more emotional side when the situation calls for it; she's neither an emotional trainwreck or a stone-cold ice queen, she's... you know, portrayed as a real woman. The series also has some really cool technology & folklore to it, so it's awesome going into the datalogs & online wikis and absorbing yourself in its mythos.

As for the individual games themselves, I believe the two GC Prime games stand among the greatest in gaming (yes even Echoes; I think it's a fantastic entry in the series that stands toe-to-toe with its predecessor in just about everything except ammo usage because... seriously, why did it do that?). The two GBA entries are the best Metroid platformers IMO because of how fast & smooth everything operates - 60 fps is real nice. The only one I can't get into is the original NES game - thank goodness for the GBA remake - but besides that I haven't run into an inherently bad Metroid game. Not even Other M, its story needed some serious work but the gameplay was fast & more up-close & action-packed, something we usually don't see from Samus.

What I think about the other M is that, while it isn't as bad as many people make it out to be, It has problems. Some smaller examples are the fact that you can't move when you want to shoot missiles, and you walking with the d-pad in a 3d world feels strange. What really ticks people off, and gets so many people upset, is how different Samus acts compared to the other games. It's like the Samus in the other M and the Samus in all the other games are two different characters. The protagonist who appears in the platformers and the prime games is a level headed and almost fearless fighter, who works with deadly efficiency and determination. In Metroid the other M, she seems over emotional and panics at the sight of a foe that she fought countless times before. I think that the team who worked on this game made a bad decision making Samus appear that way. While it isn't the worst game I've played, It definitely wasn't good for the Metroid series.

Sheik

:the:
I'm currently playing through Metroid Prime for the first time, and it's also my first Metroid game (I'm at Phazon Mines as of now). Putting aside small gripes, like the save system, I'm really enjoying it so far. I just love the world and its atmosphere, how the game doesn't need dialogue to tell you something (those random Space Pirate bodies surfacing out of the water, lol), and the isolated feeling... It's pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom