• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Western RPGs Vs. JRPGs

Western RPGs vs. JRPGs

• Western RPGs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JRPGs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DS: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Nostalgia, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, The World Ends With You, Pokemon games,Devil Survivor, Kingdom Hearts Days/Coded, Radiant Historia, ect.

PSP:The Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky,Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Phantasy Star Portable, Kingdom Hearts:Birth By Sleep,Star Ocean:First Departure/Second Evolution, Breath of Fire III, ect.

If you look deeper into a console's library, you will always find gems waiting to be discovered(even if a lot of these games are well known).

Hanyou

didn't build that
I get where you're coming from.

Though I do like it when the enemies you face get harder and harder as you level up (making it impossible to enter certain places or do specific quests until you are strong enough), I dislike it when the whole world levels up with you, like Oblivion, as you mentioned. Getting killed by a rat because you weren't paying attention or because you just ran away from a particularly nasty monster and had no health isn't exactly fun.

I tend to like games that find a balance between the two. They may make experience harder to come by if you are OP late in the game, or make health packs/potion rarer, or something of that sort.

For me it is the challenge that makes it memorable, as much as it is the story elements that go with it. When I remember games I think of tense situations where death was a mistake and a half second away. But obviously, as this thread shows, everyone enjoys RPGs for different reasons.

I think the happy medium is just having high-level and low-level areas. Keep them all accessible for as long as possible. You're rewarded for tackling the harder areas, but you're naturally guided towards areas of gradually increasing difficulty. That's pretty much what Morrowind does, actually, but lots of people think the game gives you no direction. Maybe more blatant direction would make for a better game.

You'd still get the challenge, you'd still get the reward, and how you dealt with them would be totally up to you. This gives you the element of choice within the constraints of the world.

Now, that actually sounds like it's more in the spirit of WRPGs than JRPGs, but I don't mind that. In any case, JRPGs do this on a "sidequest" level, keeping gradually increasing difficulty in the main quest. Skies of Arcadia Legends (I've never played the Dreamcast original, so I don't know what was added in Legends) also did something interesting--there was one specific quest where you would face increasingly difficult enemies that were scaled to your level, but level scaling was not implemented in the main quest. Some of my favorite and most memorable battles in the game were in that scaled quest, and it worked well in isolation.

There's room for challenge and choice, and the RPG genre is so broad I can guarantee you that some of the best solutions have been tried already. But like you, I prefer the happy medium.

GaroXicon said:
I've said my bit. I'd recommend the Extra Credits series on this very topic (Western RPGs vs. JRPGs, it's three parts), as they have similar views and a lot more interesting things to say than I do.

I should probably re-watch that, because my opinion has diverged considerably. I agree with them that they cater to different desires--but I do not think they are different genres. Having played early JRPGs that were heavily influenced by Western RPG traditions, I think there are too many similarities--especially now, with the streamlining of WRPGs for the past 10 years--for that claim to be valid.

Is Etrian Odyssey a WRPG? Is Phantasy Star (the original), with its superficial similarities to early CRPGs, one as well, even as it helped define so many of the traits we associate with JRPGs? I'd argue that neither one is, and I'd also argue that yeah, Pokemon is a JRPG. This just means that JRPGs are far to wide to be held to the strict definitions we try to impose on them. Come to think of it, the same is true of WRPGs. I think there are generalizations you can make about character customization (it's much more of a driving force, at least superficially, in WRPGs), story, and aesthetic, and they're enough to differentiate the two, but they're not enough to completely dissociate them.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
DS: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Nostalgia, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, The World Ends With You, Pokemon games,Devil Survivor, Kingdom Hearts Days/Coded, Radiant Historia, ect.

PSP:The Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky,Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Phantasy Star Portable, Kingdom Hearts:Birth By Sleep,Star Ocean:First Departure/Second Evolution, Breath of Fire III, ect.

If you look deeper into a console's library, you will always find gems waiting to be discovered(even if a lot of these games are well known).

Most of those games are merely good, not great. They were still basic and standard experiences that anyone should expect out of an average JRPG. In other words, they lacked innovation. WRPG's constantly innovate. New ideas are tried out seemingly every year, and there's barely a set standard as to how they should be made. The groundwork for them is limitless. JRPG's, no matter what the console, always stick to the same pattern. That's what makes the difference.

inb4 Austin: BUT YOU'VE NEVER TRIED A WRPG. I did try Oblivion and whatever that other game you wanted me to try was. I just could not do it. Too open

Oblivion is a horrible example of a WRPG, and like I've already said, there's not much of a standard as to what WRPG's are. It's such a diverse category that it's not even worth trying to describe. It's something you have to experience yourself.

Okay, I've talked primarily about gameplay here. I think it's clear to me the issue on JRPGs vs WRPGs is whether Story or Gameplay is more important to you. I think Gameplay should come first. If a game has terrible gameplay, it's going to be terrible overall, no matter what story. Only then can it begin to focus on anything else. Morrowind is a WRPG with great story, I'm not at all saying the two are mutually exclusive. JRPGs tend to focus on developing a relationship between the gamer and the characters, while WRPGs are trying to give you an experience and make you feel the world you're in.

That and combined with JJ is absolutely destroying this thread, makes this my concluding post in this thread.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Okay, I've talked primarily about gameplay here. I think it's clear to me the issue on JRPGs vs WRPGs is whether Story or Gameplay is more important to you.

I still completely disagree with this. Both genres tell stories, and both genres have gameplay that many find appealing. I find the gameplay of both genres appealing. The reason I find JRPGs more appealing is not because I think they have better stories or that they have stories at all - it's simply because the way in which they tell their stories is more appealing to me. If there were a game with the gameplay of most open-world WRPGs, but a game that told its story in the way that JRPGs tell its story, I'd play it and enjoy it just as much as I enjoy JRPGs today. The problem is that the gameplay style of WRPGs tends to clash with the strong, directed storytelling of JRPGs. They opt for more world-building and emergent narrative rather than a written, directed one. And that's fine - it's just not my preference.

So I highly disagree that the JRPG/WRPG divide can be reduced to "is story or gameplay more important to you". That's a vast oversimplification.

Also:

If a game has terrible gameplay, it's going to be terrible overall, no matter what story.

I am compelled to point out that I disagree with this statement tremendously, but to explain why would be to diverge off topic. I just can't let this statement slip by unchallenged, so: I formally register disagreement.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I am compelled to point out that I disagree with this statement tremendously, but to explain why would be to diverge off topic. I just can't let this statement slip by unchallenged, so: I formally register disagreement.

Technically JB is wrong on the "overall" part, as that would include the story, but as far the game part goes, he's absolutely right. It doesn't matter how good your game's story is, if it has bad gameplay, then the main part of the experience is lost. It's a video GAME, after all, not a movie or graphic novel.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I'm curious; why do you think WRPGs had to improve as far as their combat systems were concerned, but JRPGs could sit in their cesspool? Would you think, perhaps, because WRPGs were primitive?

Wait... what? Yes, of course they were primitive. Have you ever played original versions of CRPGs such as Wizardry and Ultima from back in the days of the Tandy and Commodore 64? They're horrendously archaic! The input controls, navigation, and display were horrendously designed. They were programs only people familiar with computers could figure out... but this was over twenty plus years ago, back when the technology limitations were that bad. And in some cases they still offered deeper experiences then JRPGs do today (I'm looking at you FFXIII!)

Now... look at the difference between early JRPGs and JRPGs of today. Aside from flashier graphics, there really isn't much of any notable difference. Same stories, same character archetypes, similar battle systems, same linearity, same "hands off" character progression systems...

So if WRPGs were primitive then and improved to be more advanced now, then JRPGs are still as primitive as they were then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom