• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Vitality Sensor?

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Do you think it would be cool if the vitality sensor was (somehow) used with Zelda Wii?

Enemies could get harder as you get scared...or maybe in creepy areas it could play a sound in rhythm with your heartbeat...or, who knows??

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I think that would be really cool if they did that. A creepy rhythm that plays with your heartbeat, enemies get harder as you get scared, and most of all: Link would be weaker and less responsive as you get scared or cold or something like that.

That would definately help make the Zelda experience real and so much more fun! And it'd even up the difficulty.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

While making it so that the enemies get harder as your heart rate increases sounds like a good idea, I don't see exactly how they would be able to pull this off with the vitality sensor. If you have to play the whole time with your thumb in the thing, it would get very annoying very quickly and incredibly annoying after a while. Perhaps they could do it at intervals, but this raises two problems: first, the game wouldn't really change as your heart rate does. It would be inaccurate and at times shortly before using the thing, it would seem that the game isn't keeping up with you. Second, it would interrupt the game perpetually. Every 10 or however many minutes, the notice to use the vitality sensor would pop up and would be met with a groan from the player. We don't want that. Using the vitality sensor at all isn't really a bad idea - the only problem is that you'd have to use the vitality sensor.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
This topic opens up a world of possibilities! When I think about it i get a bit carried away, but what if the vitality sensor really makes the game harder when you aren't calm.. we would have to be courageous like Link every time we play the game and especially when we step into dungeons. I forget how the vitality sensor works but i thought it clipped onto the end of your finger? anyway, i wonder if that will impair us at all when we are trying to press buttons.

The vitality sensor would very likely be connected to Link's ToC if the feature was included. It just seems like a good idea and something that Nintendo would consider. Maybe the sensor even clips onto the same hand that the triforce is on...

This would finally give us a glimpse at the powers that the ToC gives to it's wielder. Something I myself have been waiting to see and also something that was excluded from OoT. We got to see ganon and Zelda use theirs but Link's power was more like an unseen force, courage. Now we may finally get to use that power but in a different way. By actually keeping our cool and fighting with a pure heart our chances of defeating our opponents is increased. It may even be that as we fight without fear our attacks deal out more damage or that enemies become weaker when Link's ToC shines brightly. I have no idea!!! but i do know that this all sounds very interesting and i wouldn't take that comment as just some joke either i think it is seriously being considered.

They could use the Vitality sensor in other ways like depending on how excited you were the harder it would be to aim with your bow, but that might get tricky... or what if they hooked the vitality sensor up to your magic and depending on how calm you are the faster you magic regenerates?? i dunno im just kind of making stuff up... But I think we might start hearing some real news about the Zelda game soon, this might just be the start.

vatti

The Acorn sized Magician
On one hand I think it would be really cool, on the other, I once tried to do a level for my friend on WW, and I was so creeped out by the music that I had to mute it for the rest of the level. I both think it would be really cool but also creepy.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I was just thinking about this yesterday. While I don't think the vitality sensor will be useful at this time, I think the technology could be put to great use in future Zelda games. Imagine how much stronger you might become when you're feeling brave, or think of how your health might be affected if you're feeling nervous or scared. What if NPCs reacted to you according to the way you're feeling?

I don't think the vitality sensor's first release will be of much use, but I'm sure that if they continued to work on the technology it could provide for some amazing new gameplay.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Well, I never actually shared my opinion....

I think this would be pretty superfluous. It's hard to say without having any idea how it actually works in practice, but my suspicion is that this device is not suited to a Zelda-style game.

The vitality sensor will be for their sports games and such, not adventure games. That's my guess.

First, it would be really hard to gage it appropriately to all the different players out there. For some people, their pulse will really get going during a scary or challenging part of a game, while for others, they are going to be pretty steady regardless.

I don't think that the options people have thought of for Zelda are very interesting. Playing your heartbeat as a SFX or something would be kinda cool, and adjusting enemies to your pulse would be interesting...but not all that interesting, and, frankly, unnecessary. I would prefer that they focus their creative energy on making a game that has interesting maps to explore, an engaging story, excellent music, etc.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Whenever things like this Vitality Sensor show up, I generally disregard it as nothing more than another gimmick to be packaged with some specialized game or type of game, like the Wii Zapper and Balance Board were. That's all I feel these things are: gimmicks, something Nintendo, I've noticed, seems to love. But when we get down to games like Zelda Wii, a console game for a longstanding and widely acclaimed series, gimmicks just don't cut it. I'm not saying there's no potential, Nintendo tends to find potential in odd things, but I doubt whatever this sensor brings to the game will be worth the hassel.

For one thing, it is so unpractical to wear that sensor when we have to handle both the Wiimote and Nunchuks at the same time. It would feel awkward and probably bulky, plus it's another wire to get in your way (unless we can finally get wireless add-ons). I also doubt it'll be accurate enough to get the desired effect since heartrate is affected by so many factors. What if the desired effect is stable heartrate=defense boost reward for staying calm, but you're a gamer that gets hyped on adrenaline whenever you play since you love Zelda so much. You're punished for having fun. What if faster heartrate=harder enemies to test your abilities, but your a beginner who's genuinely scared. You'd be driven away from the game. All these factors to consider will diminish the Vitality Sensor's potential, and frankly, I don't want to pay extra money for some silly add-on that won't make a seriously tangible imprint on gameplay.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Yeah I agree that the Vitality Sensor should stick too Sports games and not adventure games like Zelda. Wearing it would probably cause me a lot of frustration seeing how I don't have a Wii let alone Motion Plus and a Vitality Sensor! What I said above wasn't very practical but I still think it would be neat to see one day when the tech is more advanced and user friendly.

Now that I read that post again I'm gunna have to switch my opinion lol Zelda Wii probably won't use the VS.. I think I was just a little excited about that post on the main page. Realistically the VS will have it's own games developed for it and not be incorporated into mainstream games like Zelda and Mario for a long long time. But I do think that Nintendo is trying to figure out what they are going to do with the VS and that various options are being considered for it.

The only problem is that, games dont really scare gamers too much, even if it is a freaky setting like the shadow temple. To actually scare us nintendo would have to put some GRAPHIC and SCARY Rated R Horror movie scenes in the game. And we all know nintendo wouldnt do that. I mean, what would they put in there that woulsd scare us?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I must confess, it would be rather interesting to have the vitality sensor, but if such a thing were to be employed onto Zelda Wii, then that would be a different story. For starter, this thing clips on your finger and resembles the same thing you find in hospitals. Because of that, it would make it a little more difficult to control. (i.e. trying to press C, Z, and :cool: Plus, I don't want that clipped onto my finger for five hours while I try to play Zelda. A design that I actually found interesting (yet never used it) was the Vitality Sensor for the N64. This vitality sensor clipped onto the ear instead of the finger, so it is out of the way.

However, you could imagine what could happen with this system, though. For the N64, the vitality sensor was used on only one game: the Japanese version of Tetris 64. Whenever your heart rate increased or decreased, that would alter the tempo of the game. Perhaps if they incorprated such technology into Zelda Wii, they could have Link's attack strength varying from heart rate, or certain monsters could smell Link's "fear." Perhaps when the player is nervous, Link can't stay balanced on a rope or something. It is a very interesting concept that we can all throw around.

However, the only problem is that we have this thing on our finger...this big, pinching, C, Z, B preventing thing on our finger. If they moved it up to the ear or something, then yeah, I wouldn't mind wearing it for five hours (as long as it wasn't a massive pinch) to enhance my gameplay. Plus, as long as they don't put that saddle controller they patented to use, I'm fine.

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
It should be optional to use it or not. And like petman said, I don't want something clipped onto my finger the whole time. I get rashes easily, too. (even my watch gives me one)

And also, it might mistake adreneline for fear, and both make your heart pound faster. Adreneline makes you fight harder, usually, so it wouldn't be fair for enemies to get harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom