• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Little Things, or Where the @#$% Are My Octoroks?!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Hi All, this is my first thread, I hope we all find it interesting and come up with some good stuff!

WHAT ARE THE LITTLE THINGS YOU HOPE ARE INCLUDED IN THE NEXT ZELDA? We are all interested and can debate how Zelda Wii will tackle the big things like gameplay innovations, plot/story, graphical style, etc. But I am curious what little gems from old games, or things that have never been done before we want to see in the new Zelda, here (in no particular order;) ) are some of the small things I am wishing for:

1.) Octoroks aplenty in the overworld. When OoT came out I was looking forward to seeing these baddies scurrying about on land, but we only got them in water. I'd like to see some land Octoroks!

2.) A new instrument. With motion plus functionality I think that there could be some really interesting musical instrument possibilities: a trumpet, violin, drums...

3.) A true magic wand. The divining rod was nice, as were the spells in OoT, but I hanker for a wand that we can use as a weapon like we had in LoZ or ALttP. Also! Imagine if you could use the Wii Remote to cast a different spell with your wand by tracing a circle, X, or star on the screen...

4.) Tingle. I don't really like too much goofiness in my Zelda games (I detest those goofy Gorons), but there is something about Tingle that I really appreciate...Kaloo Limpaaaa!

5.) Shoreline. I loved the sound of the surf in LoZ and even appreciated the limited beachfront real estate we got in MM...give me ocean, give me surf, give me a beach crawling with enemies!

6.) Constellations. We can see the stars at night in Hyrule, wouldn't it be cool if there were some Zelda themed constellations. They could even be worked into a puzzle...

7.) Hyrulian Museum. This is stretching a bit, but how cool would it be if there was a museum in a main city/town that had artifacts and such referencing earlier games in the series (they'd have to settle some of the timeline issues if they did this too ;) )

8.) Horsehead. What a cool and bizarre boss. Bring him back, even as a mini boss

9.) Thunderbird. Another great AoL boss. I think the word is "epic"

10.) Lynel. Have these dangerous Centaur-esque enemies been in a game since ALttP? Why not?? Best. Overworld. Enemy. Ever.

Other ideas? Please pile them on!!

Last edited:
T

Twilight One

I especially liked the way in Wind Waker where you could steal an opponent's weapon and steal from them with the (hookshot?).

I also would love to see this with the musical instrument:
If you knew the songs from other games, just play them for goodie effects, like the sun's song or the Song of storms... They had cool effect that was not absolutely necessary, and that would make a 'link' with the past games!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
After reading through some other posts a couple things came to mind:

11.) Bunny Hood. Or at least let us walk around at that speed

12.) LoZ Dungeon Theme. Still one of my favorite tracks in the series

13.) 3 or 8 Heart Fairies. It's cheap that fairies fill up your whole life meter, and it renders healing potions useless

14.) A New Shield Design. I don't like the Hylan Shield design, I'd like see something completely different, maybesomething simpler and more abstract

Last edited:
I would like to have tingle back, although I think it wouldn't fit the graphic style of the game.
But I just can't avoid wanting him back.
Hating him it's just too funny [;)]

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
enemy museum

In yoshii's island, there is a museum where you can see and interact with enemies without getting hurt, and read facts about them. Kind of like the nintendo gallery in Wind Waker, except living and interactive.
Maybe you would have to do something to catch them and bring them in? This would be pretty cool.

Austin

Austin
I tip my hat to you. You've listed many things I like. The Hylian museum could be exchanged for more easter eggs. I don't know about you, but I rather not have a building/area with all the easter eggs. I like to search around Hyrule and find them. That makes it so much funner when you do find them!

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay here are the things I'd like to see in ZW2.

#1. Timetravel

Okay so the MM timetravel was cool (albeit sometimes annoying) and the OoT timetravel was awesome and I imagine the timetravel in OoA is good as well so why shouldn't we have more timetravel?! I say we should!!

#2. Playable Characters other than Link

Okay yeah in Spirit Tracks there were two playable characters: Zelda and Link. Now why shouldn't we get other playable characters (most likely sidekicks) that aren't Link?! It would be so cool!

#3. More Focus on the Sword and Shield

In AoL you basically didn't go around collecting items; you went around collecting spells and sword skills. Now why can't we get back to that simplicity? It would make things a lot more fun!

And that's about all I can think of right now.

1. I don't really care much for these enemies, I liked them in the 2D games where they can be a real pain sometimes (but even then that's rare) but I didn't really want to see more than there were in OoT, I don't see the point of them doing so, maybe if they brought them back into some of the areas that contain water I'll be happy Nintendo put them there. I'm just not to bothered about seeing them appearing on land in the future.

2. I'm torn on this topic, it was great in OoT and MM having the Fairy Ocarina and Ocarina in Time but I think that if they did this again it would mean that Nintendo was once again making a game that is quite similar to OoT. If they do decide to put in an instrument to the new game, I would only like to see an item that is an Ocarina, I think that it would be a bad idea for Link to be able to play an instrument like the trumpet , guitar or drums unless they made the game similar to Majora's Mask where the instrument changed depending on which transformation mask you are wearing.

3. I'm also not sure about a magical item like a wand, I've only ever seen Link as a warrior or a Paladin of sorts (it depends on whether he has his Magic Bar or not), never really someone who would wield a magical weapon like a wand, I guess it would be quite fun to use though. I'd give it a fair amount of time before I decided if I disliked it or not and if I wanted to see it in a future game.

4. I would like to see Tingle appear again, I liked it in Majora's Mask when you had to shoot him down out of the air so that you could buy a map of the area you needed off of him. It would be better in my opinion if you didn't have to keep getting money and going back to buy the map off of him like in MM when you went back in time, I just thought that was a pain in the wallet :xd:.

5. I'd like to see a ocean area, also found in Majora's Mask. It was pretty cool to be able to swim around a coral sea filled with sea life that you would find in the sea unlike in most Zelda's where it's just fresh water fish and plants, not sea water species. I'm just not sure whether the magic would be like it was in MM, there is a fairly big difference in being able to swim at great speeds as a Zora and a fairly decent speed in a Tunic that gives you Zora like qualities in my opinion.

6. Constellations would be a pretty cool idea to have in the game in terms of puzzle solving but I think that it might be going a little too far out of the world of Zelda to do this, I mean, they did learn how to plot the stars a long time ago in our history, probably before when the earliest Zelda could be placed in time in the real world if we tried it.

7. I'm not too bothered about seeing a Museum showing the history or Hyrule, it would be cool if there was a tiny little building that talked about the Hero of Time or something like that, but that would barely be considered a museum I guess.

8, 9 and 10. I have never fought these in a game, I wouldn't mind to see Nintendo use some classic bosses from the harder games that the newer generations are unlikely to have ever played. I doubt it would annoy any of the old school gamers either because they probably enjoyed these battles and would love to see them in newer games, if the 3D doesn't wreck the magic of the boss.

11. I prefer to use Epona, sure it's handy to have inside temple's and in areas where Epona can't get to like Hyrule Town but I don't really spend that much time in towns where I can't ride Epona and I prefer to just go through a temple at a normal pace so I can enjoy myself more while playing through the game. Although it would be handy to have there if I decide to do a speed run.

12. I don't really want to hear this in a newer game, If I'm remembering the right song I think that it should stay as a classic used only in LoZ, I think that the way they make music now would most likely ruin the awesomeness of it and I don't think it would fit that well with most temples in the newer games. I wouldn't be bothered if it did appear again, however.

13. I agree, I thought that they were useful to have in the older games incase of death but when they started to fully heal your life bar it made the use of potions within the game entirely useless. At no point in TP was I without a fairy in my inventory once I had found the first one. It made the use of potions within the game pointless unless you wanted the extra power granted by one of them.

14. I like the designs that are currently one Links Shield, I've never really disliked a design on any of his shields to be honest though so it wouldn't bother me if this changed.

Sorry for not mentioning my own ideas and stealing yours, but meh...my brains not exactly the most imaginative at times.

The museam would be strange(like the one in modern warfare 2). It doesn't seem zelda like . I did enjoy stelling enemies wepons in ww though. What if you didn't always need the dungeon item immidiatly or mabey not at all(like LOZ or AOL).

CZG

In which dungeon didn't you get an item then?
At least one, sometimes even two tools. I can't remember getting nothing though....

I agree, I hate it that the Octorocks are gone. Why would they do such a thing?

octorok74

TETTAC
Octoroks better be in this game or else I am going to explode with rage. As for other things in the game, this could go many different ways. An enemy gallery would be neat, but I think you should have to capture that enemy and bring it to the gallery. How would you do this, you may ask. Well tie them up and drag them behind Epona of course.

Link1432

Most Uncreatively Named
I just started replaying TP recently, and I noticed a few little things that could've been there.
- The getting-wet mechanic. It was cool (to me, anyways), but it could be improved. In general, it could take longer. Maybe you dry quicker near a heat source? Or it takes a while in colder/wetter environments.
- Yes, Octorocks should be back.
I can't remember the rest of them right now...

I just started replaying TP recently, and I noticed a few little things that could've been there.
- The getting-wet mechanic. It was cool (to me, anyways), but it could be improved. In general, it could take longer. Maybe you dry quicker near a heat source? Or it takes a while in colder/wetter environments.

I loved the wet mechanic, but I really liked the dark green look of his tunic.

How about Rope(s)? When was the last game we've seen a Rope? Having them be about the same girth as Link, maybe a little thicker, or a little thinner. 15 - 20ft long, and have them be like Cobra's. I think their hood would be quite the sight. (Think of the Midgar Zolom from FF7, though not that big.) Though, they'd have to be highly evasive, and quick to strike. Like, if you weren't moving right before they strike, you'd be hit. There'd be no sign of them getting ready to strike. They could even spit. I mean we have giant spiders, so why not giant snakes?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Heh, I have a couple of little things...

- Healing magic like in TAoL. In this game you couldn't just rely on fairies- if you were dying you needed and had to heal yourself, and you couldn't venture or explore too far from any village until you could. It really felt as though you were adventuring- you couldn't go far unless you had learned this certain survival skill. If you died, it felt a lot more like it was your fault for not healing yourself, or for taking stupid risks, rather than the enemies being majory strategic.

- More details/actions relating to the situation... the 'wet' mechanic for example, and the many varied idle animations from OoT- such as shivering, sneezing, looking around, adjusting his equiptment etc. If it's cold then Link should at least ACT like he's cold, that's all I ask.

There's some other pretty cool ideas been thrown up in this thread too, though I'm not too keen on the magic wand idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom