• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Shield

Pen

The game is on!
I think it's a new interesting thing. It is more realistic after all, a shield won't be able to take too many hits. And we will be able to get rid of some rupees!

It's not about realism, per se; it's more about being practical. Skyward Sword is the first Zelda game made specifically for the Wii (as TP was a port from the Gamecube, remember?), and is making absolute use of motion controls; Skyward Sword is heavily combat focused as a result and vice-versa (they depend on one another). The freedom and control we are allowed this time around are slightly restricted by such things as a Shield Meter. This helps to balance things out.

Who knows, the way everything else works in this game, for all we know, leaving the Shield Meter out might make the game TOO easy for a lot of fans (keep in mind lack of difficulty was one of TP's MAIN faults). Leaving it out could possibly screw some other things up, as well. The Shield Meter might actually be an extremely necessary key component, and something some people would actually ask for in a hypothetical situation. Just know that it's there for good reasons.

Also, don't 'ya think it's a bit early to judge the Shield Meter on this level, soldier? I mean c'mon, we hardly got to see it, to be honest, and it appears that it might become somewhat obsolete later on in the game anyway upon obtaining the Hylian Shield...:yes:

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
I actually really like it. Like Vibed said, it gives you something to spend rubees on. It actually gives them worth, and I think that it's overall a neat detail. It will kind of make you need to use different strategies. You'll have to avoid more than deflect. I like it, and it also gives the shield itself a little more worth, because in other Zelda games, once I got the Hylain Sheild, I was done with the wooden, and now I may have to come back to it, which I actually kinda like.

Im one who does not like it. What happens when your shield runs out and your in the middle of a temple??

Luigidude64

Suzune Supporter
Well, I noticed Link only had the meter after he got the Hylian Sheild, so maybe it's like a super sheild that uses magic?

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I thought people wanted the games to be a little more difficult. All I had to do to save myself in the other Zeldas was to hold the shield button and have my shield up all the time. It's practically invincibility. I like to see that shield use has become more practical- besides, you can upgrade your shields from the wooden shield to the iron shield to the near-invincible Hylian shield.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It adds a level of difficulty to the game and gives us something to spend all our ruppees on, I thought fans wanted more challenge, whatever happened to that idea?

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Sometimes I burn my wooden shield in TP on purpose just so I could waste money to buy a new one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom