• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic OH-carina or OK-arina?

bds1110

Imp
I've always said it as it looks... aw-kuh-ree-nuh, but I heard some people at E3 and such say it oke-uh-ree-nuh, but I still think that it's the first one.

However, Nintendo repeatedly pronounces it Oh-carina during press conferences.
Remember that Zelda is fictional and a word could pronounced differently in a fictional world.
I've always pronounced it Oh-carina.

(Sorry, I don't know how to get the quote thing up..)

Yes, but there may be a similar case like on the Final Fantasy remake for the DS.. There is a man named Cecil in this game. Say that word aloud. Cecil. But in the DS version they had voice acting, and they pronounced it "sess-ell" This is most likely due to the Japanese mistranslation, and I think that's the same case with Nintendo saying "Oh-kah-ree-nah."

Last edited:
W

wideyedwanderer

I prefer Awk-ka-rai-na. I always thought Oak-a-rai-na sounded weird.

E

Emera

Haha me and my friends always argue about this. I've always said it like OH carina. I think it is actually supposed to be Aw carina though... Just can't get out of the habit of saying it like oh carina...

It's OCK-arina, not OH-carina. People probably started mispronouncing it as OH-carina because they thought it should be pronounced like a Japanese word, but ocarina isn't a Japanese word.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I've always pronounced it something like "oh-cah-ray-na." I suppose I've never said "ock-ah-ray-na" because "ock" sounds like an unpleasant noise that your throat would make when you have a cold. >.<

H

honeyrocks81

OCK-UH-REE-NUH is how I pronounce it (: It's also funky when people pronounce "Majora"

F

Faxanadu

i made 1 in high school n its pronounced ock-uh-ree-nah say it w me now ocarina lol sadly *pout* mine didnt work

Phlegm

Bake me a pie!
I pronounce it both ways actually! When I say nothing before it, I say OKarina, but if I say 'The Legend of Zelda' before it, I say OHcarina.

OKarina is officially correct, but it doesn't really matter which one you say.

S

Smew

It's definately ock-ah-ree-nah - Oh-kareena sounds VERY american (specifiically californian) to a British ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom