• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
So then who here is aware of it? If so then have one of my special Kokiri Kookies *lays a tray of kookies out* and if not allow me to educate you.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a new Mario game scheduled to hit North America on November 15 (however most stores won't have it until the 16 or 17) and it is the first 2-D Mario platformer to hit a main Nintendo console in 18 years. Here are some clips of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhMwtxCHCI

The E3 2009 trailer (sorry for the ad). At first when I saw this I wasn't very excited (mostly because of the info dump of new game info like about Galaxy 2 and M&L:BIS) but after hearing more about it I slowly got more excited until it was at the same level as Spirit Tracks is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxgn9cRBeGU

The 'Super Skillz' trailer.

So basically there are several new elements in New Super Mario Bros Wii such as a Penguin Suit which allows you to belly slide like one (hence the name) and also throw iceballs.

The Starman still gives you invincibility to enemies but also now makes Mario/Luigi/Toad shine remeniscent of what it was with the Rainbow Star in Galaxy (and also allows you to jump Super Samus Aran style).

The Ice Flower which has the same effects as the Penguin Suit hold the belly sliding and much much more.

There are several modes which Nintendo currently is keeping secret but it features multiplayer story mode. Basically this means that if you have some friends and some Wii motes you get to play all at once (no more crappy controller sharing my fellow chubby Mario impersonators) and either create a helping element to increase your chances or a competitive element to try to diminish your friend's chances.

You can pick up and throw your fellow players in multiplayer story mode (somewhat reminiscent of Four Swords Adventures) to either help them (like for instance I suck at platformers while my mom rocks and she could carry me away from an intimidating enemy) or hurt them (like my sister would probably throw me at a goomba to try to hurt me) or carry them over a chasm of lava.

It seems to propose a gigantic challenge to even seasoned mushroom munchers and I read in Nintendo Power that if you fail at a stage enough times then a green ! block appears and if hit Luigi will appear and show you through the stage and from that point you can stop him at any time or just let him clear the course for you and claim his victory as your own (Mario: Hey Luigi do you mind if I take credit for this stage? Luigi: What?! NO!! Mario: Well too bad cuz I'm going to anyway).

That's just a tiny taste of how great New Super Mario Bros Wii is looking. In fact it might even prove better than Mario 2 (yes go ahead and toss your Kokiri Kookies at me).

Also I made a new thread for this because nobody responded to it in the general Mario thread so I figured it would get more attention with it's own thread.

Old news is indeed old. XD

The websites up and running (finally...)

I was kind of surprised there wasn't a topic on this already...

http://mariobroswii.com/

It's pretty beastly if I do say so myself.

I'm getting it on Sunday hopefully. Can't wait.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
This game seems pretty amazing. I'll probably see about getting it for Christmas.
As much as I want it now, and amazing as it does look, I'm iffy about buying games right away. I'd like to get a review first. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I caved and got it.

I really want this game. More than Earthbound (I'm sick of emulating it). It'll be a throwback to the original trilogy and world.

Original-pretty much all the gameplay
The REAL Mario 2-picking stuff up
SMB3-crazy powerups
SMW-Yoshi

bellum

Gamer since age 2
Ooh, I got this game two weeks ago. It's an astoundingly good game. It was very addicting the first few times I played it and it is still a very addicting game, trying to get it 100% and unlock everything. I found it very effective to cure my bored brain.There's so many new elements that were not introduced in other mario games. It also feels like smb3 on crack though.

I haven't played the game with other people, because, really, I have nobody to play with. It looks very excitingly addictingly fun on multiplayer, and I think eventually I will bring one( or more) of my friends over to my house to play some New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Last edited:
F

Forsaken

The first time I played it there was no one around as usual, and therefore I played the single player mode. I must say that at first it did disappoint me a bit, for I was expecting something that looked like the SNES version (I should've read the "new" that came right before the main title), but that was my bad.

After this day, I kinda gave it a break, and the next time I found myself playing it was I playing the multiplayer mode along with my cousin, and it was really fun. The best multiplayer of the decade, perhaps.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
It was okay when I played it the first time. Let me give you the run-down.

First Time: Wow! Totally Awesome!
Second Time: It's okay.
Third Time: Annoying a little.
Fourth Time: Boring!
Fifth Time: UGH! I HATE THIS GAME!!!!!

And there you go.

Steve

5/19/13
I think it was an overall good game. It certainly does not have the difficulty of the original games which I desire for, but it had some good gimmicks to keep the gameplay fun and addictive. I really like how they included elements from Super Mario Bros. 3, as that is one of my most favorite of Mario titles. By only problem with it is it has little to no replay value whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom