• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Minish Cap NOT the First Game?

I could understand them mistranslating one word for another, but I don't see how they could add an entirely new word that wasn't even there in the Japanese text. As I have stated before, I don't know Japanese, and I don't really look into the mistranslations a whole lot between the games. So all I really have to go on is what I get to see. But the word "reborn" is what is key in my previous post, and I don't see why they would just get that from nothing.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I could understand them mistranslating one word for another, but I don't see how they could add an entirely new word that wasn't even there in the Japanese text. As I have stated before, I don't know Japanese, and I don't really look into the mistranslations a whole lot between the games. So all I really have to go on is what I get to see. But the word "reborn" is what is key in my previous post, and I don't see why they would just get that from nothing.

Perhaps they wanted to just add facts to the game. Like how the NoA translaters hinted at MidnaxLink when at the end of TP they change:

"Link...s...see you."
to
"Link... I... See you later."

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
That does not change that the message is not like the Japanese one and is not the same meaning.

Sort of the whole point. Meanings will be different because things have to be localized to the target culture. So all you will get is really messed up theories if you cross languages when making said theories.

Theories would radically different in each language. German theories would be different from English. As would just regular Japanese.

It is a tough choice, go with just the localized versions, or dabble in a bit of the Japanese too. Either way it will mess it up.

About being canonical or not. It is not as simple as "Oh it was in Japan first so that's what's canon". If that is how you think, then nothing in the translated versions could be canon. Because it would not be the original. And most of the text would be very different.

The logical approach would be to just stick with the localized version you have. For those in America that would be the NoA versions.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Sort of the whole point. Meanings will be different because things have to be localized to the target culture. So all you will get is really messed up theories if you cross languages when making said theories.

Theories would radically different in each language. German theories would be different from English. As would just regular Japanese.

It is a tough choice, go with just the localized versions, or dabble in a bit of the Japanese too. Either way it will mess it up.

About being canonical or not. It is not as simple as "Oh it was in Japan first so that's what's canon". If that is how you think, then nothing in the translated versions could be canon. Because it would not be the original. And most of the text would be very different.

The logical approach would be to just stick with the localized version you have. For those in America that would be the NoA versions.

Frankly a translation could be incredibly close to the Japanese version since you can see that internet subbers usually manage to get the correct translations.

That argument is mute unless there were never many changes in phrases and their meanings.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
To me, the Minish Cap is still first and those girls are just incarnations. I doubt they could time travel anyway. It was announced that The Minish Cap was the first in the series once, I'd I'm sticking to that until I see differently.

Those sages could even been from Holodrum or where-ever and came here for a break. Then they could return back to their rightful places and become the Oracles. Perhaps they make the special drinks for you to practice their magic.

Maybe those girls are just copy-cats and act like the others, or just have the same name and dress alike. Zelda is very mysterious. Forgive if I got some information wrong because I haven't played either of the Oracles.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Unless of course Ganon was a different being a long time ago. It has been said that he is the "ancient demon 'reborn'", and that Twinrova are his surrogate mothers. In my opinion, there is the possibility that a long time ago, Ganon, in his pig form, existed. Eventually, Triwnrova could have revived this ancient demon withing the body of Ganondorf. Ganon could be the true embodiment of the demon within Ganondorf in this case. I know its a bit of a stretch and a theory that most people wouldn't agree with, but it is a possibility.

It's a nice theory, except there is one big problem with it. The fact that the creators have told us that OoT is the first in the timeline and the only exception to that is possibly MC which does not have Ganon/dorf in it. You can believe that all you want, but at the end of the day I'm going with the creators word that has yet to be contradicted after many years.

Steve

5/19/13
Minish Cap is one of those Zelda games, that really makes me want to beat my head into the wall. The problem with it is all of the cameos, such as Beetle and the Goron merchants, the whole thing is really a huge mess. I don't think these cameos are meant to be taken likely, and are simply non-canonical, just as the trophies of the SSB series are not canonical.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Minish Cap is one of those Zelda games, that really makes me want to beat my head into the wall. The problem with it is all of the cameos, such as Beetle and the Goron merchants, the whole thing is really a huge mess. I don't think these cameos are meant to be taken likely, and are simply non-canonical, just as the trophies of the SSB series are not canonical.

I would have to agree with you. People use those cameos as evidence way too much. It seems like most of the arguments come from those cameos. Chances are that the only reason a Goron merchant is used is because the game was made around the same time as WW was made and they wanted to use the design again. How do we know that there were no Goron merchants before WW? Just because they arent around in other games doesnt mean they arent there.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies

Easy to say when you don't take into account that the translator for Zelda from 1992-2000 openly admits that he wasn't fluent in Japanese

Trinen is much better than Owsen, but he still changes things that need not be changed.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I noticed something when I was playing Minish Cap.
Dampe, the graveyard keeper is alive in MC but he is a ghost in OoT

That's also because there are different Dampés.
I could make an extensive list of characters that are recurrent, even though they are Not the same, only in look and name.
It's kinda like every main Final Fantasy after FFII having a character named Cid.

Considering the ghost of King Gustaf (I think thats how its spelled) was an ancient King of Hyrule, then a lot has already happened prior to TMC. And I don't think we ever found out the King's name in OoT....

Zarom

The King
I just tought about something.

In MC, in the legend they are referring to the Hero of the Humans, right? Correct me if I'm wrong (I have not played the game), but I think that MC could take place on the Child Timeline. Why? Because on the CT, Link in OOT has never been the Hero of Time. Adult Link was, but not Young Link.

What do you think of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom