• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game?

Is Skyward Sword a Good Game or a Bad Game

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It is not the best but neither the worst game in the series

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I liked Skyward Sword, just not as much as Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

Geez, why not just list off which games you don't like better instead? Rattling off like that is just redundant. Not trying to insult you, here, just saying that you could simply say something like, "It's not my favorite, but I like it".

MW7

Hero Mode was a welcome addition as well as challenge, essentially equal to the second quest in the NES original.
It was a nice homage to the original game, but I think it was very different. The second quest in Legend of Zelda actually significantly changed the content of the game by moving the locations of dungeons and the layout of dungeons. Hero Mode had great ideas like double damage (concurrently developed with OOT 3d so I think it's fair for them to share credit), no hearts, and other little things. Unless I just misinterpreted and you meant Hero Mode added challenge just as the second quest did.

I liked Skyward Sword, just not as much as Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.
So close to my opinion just substitute Legend of Zelda for Twilight Princess and drop Link's Awakening to one spot below Skyward Sword. I liked Skyward Sword but not as much as those games.

LoZ SS is my favorite Wii game because of the way you become attached to the characters as you play. Making it my favorite LoZ game. :) <3

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I loved Skyward Sword. It had flaws - like the lack of cutscene skipping, and the inability to choose Hero Mode from the beginning... but I liked the game. Especially the controls. I thought the controls were excellent and I had few problems with them.

Opinions on Skyward Sword:

The moment I turned the game on I was excited about what the new motion controls could mean for the series. After watching the beginning cut scene and creating my account I couldn't wait to get started. By the time I reached Skyview Temple I knew it was going to be a good Zelda game. Overall I enjoyed the entire game. Now a subject almost on it's own.
Fi. Before you get all angry at Fi you just have to realize that Zelda games are full of creepy, strange, crazy, annoying, and downright weird characters *See Axle's Article*. If you want a game where you don't have to interact with people, don't have to watch cut scenes and just hack and slash all of the time, go play some other game. That isn't Zelda. The one thing I didn't like about Fi was telling me my wiimote batteries were low. It seemed rather odd to find a character saying that. Also I have to agree that the enemies in the game started to become a bit boring because there were just new variations rather than new enemies each dungeon. I think they need a completely new ones even toward the end of the game. i.e. (were just going to use Ocarina of Time for an example here because I just did a 100% file of Ocarina of Time 3D and it's fresh on my mind) Iron Knuckles and Dinafoes (forgive me if I spelt that wrong). Even though Dinafoes were quite like Lizafoes in a sense they still were something new. They weren't just changing the color from green to white on a bubble etc. Now if only the 100 skull..........we'll save that for another day. For those of you who think that the over world was bad (err... underoverworld?) it had to be that way. First of all the first half of the game you are trying to collect those tablets so that would have sort of ruined the objective of the dungeon. Also the folks over at Nintendo wanted the Dungeon's to be completed in a specific order. In Ocarina of Time ( I need to stop using this game as an example) the game led you toward the Forest Temple first after becoming Adult Link, but nothing was stopping you from doing the Fire or Water Temple first. I think Nintendo really wanted people to do everything in the right order so they could really keep the story together. Things happen with the people in Skyloft after each dungeon and if you messed up the order you would miss stuff. I believe Nintendo was just trying to avoid getting into problems where you can't get something because you did the wrong temple first. (and they would have got away with it if it weren't for that stupid dragon and that game breaking glitch.....erm bad Scooby doo reference) Anyhow on to my last minor problem. The inventory. I didn't enjoy there not being a max to some things and you can have more than one with it making no sense too. As a person who likes to 100% Zelda games (get all items, collectibles etc.) it made everything a tad bit difficult for me to understand what I had and what I was missing. Overall Skyward Sword was a great game. It took the best of many Zelda games and put them together.

Let me know what you think =D

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It wasn't bad... There isn't much drive for me to play the game as well... it just got boring.

I disagree, SS was bad IMO for a Zelda game. I agree that the game got boring, but it probably got different for me differently than it did for you.

I personally didn't like SS. First playthrough the game was absolutely amazing, but I was all hyped up. Subsequent playthroughs, I realized the game is linear, boring, has a less than I personally desire plot and character set, etc. Skyward was an excellent video game, it sold extremely well and garnered many favorable reviews. But I just didn't like it. Gameplay was absolutely amazing IMO -- I can see where some would get hung up with the game since motion isn't typical in a video game (or at least, it wasn't), but SS did swordplay justice. Only problems were the story, characters, 99% of the game, the lack of difficulty (for me -- I catch on to patterns quickly so every enemy in SS was a joke to me), the Sky, et cetera. If Nintendo remade ALttP or any Zelda that ISN'T SS and slapped motion controls for the swordplay on that bad boy, I think I would be in love. Skyward Sword just has a bad coat of paint.

T

TheKeaton

The Ups and Downs of Skyward Sword

The newest title in the series, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, was an amazing game. However, as I progressed through the game, I found a few things I didn't like. Don't get me wrong- there were still many things I liked.

For example, I did not like the fact that some races were taken away and there were new ones. I mean, why did they make mogmas? I think they should've kept Eldin based on the Goron Tribes, even though we did see a few Gorons in the game. This was also the case for the Parella. Where did the Zoras go? There was again another race but this one I absolutely did not like, the robots. I wished they would've made a more logical race for the situation of Timeshift Zones.

However, some of the new races introduced new types of gameplay. The Mogmas introduced the Mogma Mitts to you, the Parella gave you your first all-out swimming experience, and the robots showed a new feature, the Timeshift Zones.

There was one thing that really bugged me that had no upside and that was that there are no towns other than Skyloft. There should've been a town on the surface for every race, Gorons, Mogmas, Parella, robots, and Kikwi.

That's all I have to say on the subject for now (I'm not going to cover the linear-ness of SS, but there were also upsides to that) please reply below for your thoughts about my post!!

There was a recent thread titled The Perfect Skyward Sword and I'll therefore model my reply regarding the cons of Skyward Sword off of that.

Skyward Sword was a great Zelda game but it did not live up to my level of hype. One aspect of the game I found to be particularly disappointing was the lack of unique areas to visit. There was a forest, a fire mountain, a lake, and a desert. Personally, Nintendo should take a note from Majora's Mask. That game mirrored Ocarina of Time in terms of the places you could explore. Ocarina of Time boasted a forest, mountain, lake, and desert. Majora's Mask featured a swamp, snow mountain, lake, and canyon. This was a breath of fresh air for the franchise. By refusing to set Skyward Sword off from the pack, Nintendo did fans a great disservice from a package that was near flawless overall.

Continuing with the overworld, lack of variety in the land below was a relatively minor problem when compared to what the sky could have been. Numerous times I've complained that the sky is too barren and I continue to defend that notion. Most islands featured one or two chests with little challenge. Essentially you hop on and off in a matter of three minutes or less. Across all its islands, the Wind Waker offered a greater challenge as well as meaningful rewards and character interaction. This is what Skyward Sword should have been.

One redundancy which ground my gears was battling the Imprisoned multiple times. The first and second battles differentiated themselves enough but the third was useless repetition. The only salvation to be found was in the form of the Groosenator. The Ghirahim battles stood in stark juxtaposition to those of his master in beast form. Each fight spiced things up a bit and actually made excellent use of the motion controls with the jump form the second to third skirmishes being the largest.

Skyward Sword's peaks are a lot more obvious but they are important to mention nevertheless. The game featured a more cohesive narrative than many previous installments held together by characters the player actually cared for. No longer was it a simple chase quest after a damsel in distress but it was a childhood friends of Link's who was in danger. Ghirahim's new spin on evil was also interesting as he transformed from a lax persona content with beating Link within an inch of his life to one hellbent on murder. This logically and symbolically corresponded to a change in his tone of skin. Demise was easily the most poetic and eloquent topping even Ganondorf from The Wind Waker. This stood in stark juxtaposition to his beastly blows during the final battle. Overall, Nintendo did a great job of layering future foes through this villain.

Another aspect of Skyward Sword that may seem obvious at first glance but easily gets tramped is the motion control. Skyward Sword's controls may not have been perfect, however, they are definitely the best thing on the market thus fully justifying the purchase of a Wii. The only real problems I had were with the thrust and rolling maneuvers and although I never truly perfected them, they were gradually seamed out over time.

Last but certainly not least, the boss battles in Skyward Sword were a consummate triumph. Few followed the stun, hack-and-slash pattern, spanning multiple phases, and requiring careful thought in order to avoid being hit first. Also ditched were the traditional conventions of using the dungeon item to defeat the boss with your sword being the preferred weapon of choice in most combat. Moreover, overworld bosses were a welcome change in pace.

TheKeaton said:
I mean, why did they make mogmas? I think they should've kept Eldin based on the Goron Tribes, even though we did see a few Gorons in the game. This was also the case for the Parella. Where did the Zoras go? There was again another race but this one I absolutely did not like, the robots. I wished they would've made a more logical race for the situation of Timeshift Zones.

Nintendo created the races as a breath of fresh air for the franchise as well as to tie certain story elements together. In the Minish Cap, for example, the Picori are the primary race who assist Link whereas in Twilight Princess, the Twili are simultaneously your foes spreading darkness and a welcome aid in the form of the imp, Midna. As Skyward Sword detailed, five races were left behind to defend the surface and prevent the resurrection of the demon king, Demise. Personally, all of the races were designed rather well aesthetically-they may not have been my franchise favorites but were still good-and logically interwove the narrative.

TheKeaton said:
There was one thing that really bugged me that had no upside and that was that there are no towns other than Skyloft. There should've been a town on the surface for every race, Gorons, Mogmas, Parella, robots, and Kikwi.

The barren nature of the overworld bugged me as well but more so the sky than the three landmasses below. You have to keep in mind that Skyward Sword is the first game on the timeline and the races would not have been as settled as during the events of later titles like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. Essentially, in making an analogy to humans, the races in Skyward Sword were the hunters and gatherers prior to the neolithic revolution.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This is from an old thread of mine called "Skyward Sword: Perks and Quirks". It's a perfect response for this thread.

Perks

• Flawless Wii MotionPlus controls
  • Spectacular gameplay
  • Thought-inducing enemies
  • Stellar overworld design (dungeon-like surface, quick air travel, and Metroid influences)
  • Silent Realms (creepy and epic)
  • Thematic and well-designed dungeons
  • Great boss battles
  • In-depth and emotional story
  • Entertaining and well-developed characters
  • Glorious music
  • Almost all legitimate help not given unless asked for
  • Upgrade system (simple but useful)
  • Adventure Pouch (slight customization feature and adventurous feel)
  • Goddess Cubes (fun to hunt down)
Quirks

• A little too mechanized
  • Too many great ideas spread apart
  • Returning to dungeons not executed properly (i.e. used once and used poorly)
  • Bosses were a bit on the easy side
  • Goddess's Harp/Harp songs (harp was kinda tacked on and 3 tracks were ear rape)
  • Tentalus (should have been an overworld boss)
  • No real explanation to the backstory (missed opportunity)
  • Second half practically dropped all new features
  • Second half could've had open choice between 2 or all 3 of the dungeons
  • No Volvagia (:()
  • Song of the Hero quest (cool portions, poorly executed as a whole)
  • Fi's stating of the obvious

All in all, the positives severely outweigh the negatives for me, as my complaints are very minor for the most part and my praise is quite major for the most part. There are definitely some mistakes that don't need to be repeated in future titles, but there are far more influences that should be taken from the game and expanded on to make them even better. Zelda's future is looking brighter than ever thanks to SS (and the taste we've gotten of what the Wii U GamePad can do and have witnessed first-hand what the 3DS can do). Here's to hoping Zelda 3DS and Zelda Wii U will be just as great, if not greater.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom