• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Keep My Room Warm?

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I hang out in our basement a lot because that is where my gaming stuff is. (No I can't switch rooms) The room has a large slider door, has an open entry way and is NOT connected to the central heating, so it stays around 50-60F degrees.:( The winter is miserable down there, to say the least. I have tried blankets, but this makes motion controls and pointing for the Wii difficult. I tried a Snuggie and my hands still got cold, so I resorted to wearing gloves, the problem with this is that it makes all controllers (except the Wiimote very slippery). I have a space heater, but it does very little

Do you have any ideas to keep my room warmer, gloves, hats, and blankets don't work that well.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I have the same problem in my room right now because we still haven't taken the A/C out of my window. I usually just put up with it. And getting a new heater isn't quite practical. If you can use the gloves with the Wiimote, use them, just not with other controlers. With other controlers, you could probably use a blanket, as I've always done. But the best way to keep warm is to take hot chocolate breaks every other dungeon... Or keep a thermos down there with you. Hope this helps! :)

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Although I hadn't suffered through cold winters for 3 years( lived in CA and FL) I would install a heater. I think there are some electronic ones that you can plug into the wall. I used to have a built in A/C that, with a push of a button, change from blowing cold air to warm, and vice versa.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I have the same problem in my room right now because we still haven't taken the A/C out of my window. I usually just put up with it. And getting a new heater isn't quite practical. If you can use the gloves with the Wiimote, use them, just not with other controlers. With other controlers, you could probably use a blanket, as I've always done. But the best way to keep warm is to take hot chocolate breaks every other dungeon... Or keep a thermos down there with you. Hope this helps! :)

That is exactly what I have been doing. I like your idea about the hot Cocoa, I'm thinking about putting an old coffee machine down there to heat the water and grab a bunch of Hot cocoa packets! Oh, and I just check the temp after my space heater was on for about an hour, and it was 44F degrees.:cry:

When it gets cold for me, I usually use a bag thing that I stick in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and it gets really warm. You should try putting one up your shirt so it's on your belly/chest. If it's hot enough, you shouldn't need gloves, or blankets or anything. Just long pants, a shirt, and maybe a dressing gown or something.

When it gets cold for me, I usually use a bag thing that I stick in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and it gets really warm. You should try putting one up your shirt so it's on your belly/chest. If it's hot enough, you shouldn't need gloves, or blankets or anything. Just long pants, a shirt, and maybe a dressing gown or something.

Lol! RICE/BEAN BAGS! I make those... Love mine! (if you need a makeshift one... get a long song -like a soccer sock- fill it with a cup or two of rice- and tie off the end)

You said theres a slider down there? Ok... so heres what ya gotta do... Get that blanket of yours and cover up the window with it... I bought thermal backed curtains for my apartment... and NOTHING but NOTHING lets the cold in (or the heat of summer for that matter) better then a gigantic window... If you can get the window covered with something thick (like your blanket)... The room should be able to keep its temperature better, and your space heater might just be able to heat up the room for you.

Moon.Flower

I'm the crazy chicken. ;)
That is exactly what I have been doing. I like your idea about the hot Cocoa, I'm thinking about putting an old coffee machine down there to heat the water and grab a bunch of Hot cocoa packets! Oh, and I just check the temp after my space heater was on for about an hour, and it was 44F degrees.:cry:
My room stays at 50 something all winter. :| If I run my heater it gets to 60 something. But it broke the other day-I was going to use it to dry something I made but when I plugged it on and turned it on, all I heard was a click. It didn't respond. Thank goodness it didn't die a few weeks ago when it was -10 outside! Now it's warm outside. Finally. :D

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Okay, I am borrowing a oil heater (MUCH better than my Space heater, the temp was at 65 degrees the other day)and it is working great. The only problem is that is sucks a ton of electricity! I also now have a blanket on the slider. After further inspection I found that the small window when locked is open slightly, so a few minutes of my time and that window is sealed. I haven't tried the bag idea yet. It now stays around 55 without the heater on :) On that note, we are renting our house because we are moving to Europe within the next few months. We tried to sell, but the economy is horrible and since I live in Michigan, house are selling for dirt cheap. We will stay with family for a few months, and the heat there is amazing. The only drawback is that I am only allowed to bring one console :O

Thank you to everyone for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom