• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two

I just saw it at midnight this morning!!!! I'm the biggest Potter nerd alive, and the movie was superb! Ever since my mom read me the first two books back when I was a child, I knew that this series was special, and now the movies are over :(

So did anyone else see it yet? What did you like/didn't like? And for those who haven't, come and discuss anyways!

I really LOVED Snape in this movie. As my favorite character, finally seeing his tale unraveled brought tears to my eyes. Also, Neville finally got the justice he deserves, and he was downright hilarious in this movie. I also appreciated seeing old friends, namely, Prof. McGonagall, Slughorn, even Seamus gets a scene.

I saw it at Midnight. The atmosphere there was amazing. There were even groups of adults who had superb Hogwart's professor costumes. Personally, I was dressed as Ron from the Very Potter Musical.

As for the movie, I thought it was so-so. I had just reread the book (not a good idea to do), so I was comparing everything to the book. What they included was spectacular, but what they left out made me mad.

I'll have to see it again to gather up my true thoughts on the movie.

P.S. This same thing happened with Deathly Hallows Part 1, but after I saw it again, it was my favorite.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I couldn't see it at midnight...but I WILL see it soon! I love Harry Potter, I have all of the books and most of the movies. It's sad that it's finally over, though. :(

Garo

Boy Wonder
Spoilers! Spoilers! Massive massive spoilers! Click here to skip my spoiler-laden post.

WHAT WAS THAT YATES? You think you know better than Rowling how to end the series?

WHAT WAS THAT DAVID YATES

YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER THAN ROWLING HOW TO END THE SERIES? SHE WROTE THE BOOKS. SHE KNOWS BETTER THAN YOU DO. WHAT WAS THAT

VOLDEMORT AND HARRY FLYING AROUND FOR FIVE MINUTES, AND THEN HAVING THEIR CLIMACTIC, SEVEN-YEARS-IN-THE-MAKING DUEL WHEN NOBODY ELSE IS AROUND? THEN VOLDEMORT CRUMBLES AND FLOATS AWAY IN THE WIND? WHAT WAS THAT

Alright, now that all of that is out the way, let's get to the more verbose, well-reasoned criticisms of the film.

First, let me say that David Yates had better be holding up a sign that says "Screw You Peter Jackson". The Battle of Pelennor Fields? Muggle please. Battle of Hogwarts was one of the most satisfyingly epic cinematic warzones in the history of cinema. Even as our three stalwart heroes scramble to find and destroy the three remaining Horcruxes, the students are scrambling themselves - seeking refuge, finding loved ones, searching for solace. It was chaos at its cinematic best. Leading the resistance was Maggie Smith as the wonderful Professor McGonagall, whose role is finally given the spotlight she has deserved so long. Her brief duel with Professor Snape was a shining moment for her character. Seeing all the professors perform similarly impressive feats was a wonderful treat.

The scene with Snape and all the students in the Great Hall was excellent. Seeing Harry step out and the Order charge in was so grin-inducing that despite the intensity of the event I couldn't help but smile. And from there we were launched into the aforementioned chaos, which was a thrill to experience.

Voldemort's army was visually very impressive, and their attacks against the shield that McGonagall placed around Hogwarts provided a much needed sense of urgency that even the chaos in the castle could not create. Even as Harry spoke to the Grey Lady - a rather dull scene in the book - the failing shield provided a wonderfully dire sense of impending doom that energized the scene. Seeing Ron and Hermione actually enter the Chamber of Secrets was a treat as well, since the set was such a beautiful one that would be a shame to not see after the second film. It also proved a very well equipped romantic get-away spot.

The scene in the Room of Requirement was also a treat - the Fiendfyre was visually appealing, and I greatly appreciated the change from the fyre destroying the diadem to the fang doing so - it avoided an unnecessary line of exposition as well as provided a much more appealing Voldermort-flame-face door slam sequence. Goyle's death was very uninspired and didn't seem to affect Draco nearly as much as Crabbe's death did in the book, and overall wasn't as dramatic.

Snape's death was also quite the scene. The snake attacking him as Harry sat outside the room was quite intense, though we never fully saw Snape's wounds (I would hazard a guess that in the initial cut, we did, and it got an R rating back, which is why it took so long for the film to get an MPAA rating). Snape's final words were just as emotional as they were in the book, and Rickman did a stellar job of delivering them.

The next sequence bothered me. Seeing Lupin and Tonks dead in their beds in the Great Hall was one thing, as their deaths were not as impactful in the books among all the chaos. Fred's death, however, was poorly communicated. In the books there was an intense duel between Fred, Percy and Bellatrix that ended in tragedy - but here we only see Fred lying on a bed in the Great Hall. WHAT? Not seeing Fred's death was my first disappointment with the film.

Fortunately, the scene that followed more than made up for it. Snape's memory sequence was incredibly emotional, and I had to fight back tears. Rickman proved that all these years, he has been an incredible actor under our very noses. Snape's love for Lily was so well conveyed and so beautifully described - this sequence lost nothing in translation from book to film.

And then came Harry's death march. This was the high point of the film. Harry marching slowly to his death, unflinchingly. One could feel the gravity with every footfall. To see Sirius, Lupin, James and Lily again at the end was wonderful - and the very end was fitfully intense.

And this is where I choose to cut off my memory of the film. With Harry's death.

Before I launch my long, hate and disgust filled rant about the end of the film, some other thoughts:

I loved hearing John Williams' original score throughout the film. Nostalgia, bookend, and closure at its finest.

I was disappointed that Yates papered over the Dumbledore family's drama. I felt that it was an important plot piece that caused Harry to question his faith in Dumbledore, and thus, his faith in his own ability to end Voldemort - which was a very welcome thing indeed in the book. It added depth, and I can't help but feel very angered that Yates did not include it.

The epilogue, which I hated in the novel, worked well here. It provided a perfect sense of closure to the series, a perfect sense of ending where it all began. And I loved that. The book's version seemed to saccharine, whereas this one worked for reasons I can't quite describe. It's a visual thing, I suppose.

And now, what you all came here for: hate-fueled rage.

Film and literature are different media, and thus require different treatment of the same events. Harry's death should have been Harry's permanent death in the eyes of unreading filmgoers. The King's Cross scene should not have followed his death scene right away. Why?

In the book, as readers we are tied to the viewpoint of Harry. Only in select few chapters - typically the opening one - are we ever given a glimpse of a viewpoint other than Harry's. As such, Rowling could not keep up the illusion that Harry had died - he was our "narrator", so to speak. It would not do to act as if he had died only to bring him back later, and once again tether our viewpoint.

In the film, however, we are given a purely objective viewpoint as long as we remain outside the minds of the characters. Harry's death should have been evidently a true death. With the knowledge that Harry had not, in fact, died, the scenes that follow lose a great deal of their potential dramatic impact. The scene with Voldemort's army and Neville's speech? A great scene, no doubt - but it lost something with the knowledge that Harry was still there. With Harry evidently dead, it is a scene about Neville stepping up to fulfill the role that Harry had left - it would have been a much greater moment for Neville, and a much more dramatic and inspiring scene. BUT NOPE. Harry is alive, even in the minds of the viewers, so it's just Neville standing up to Voldemort while Harry thinks through his plan.

And here is where it all goes to hell.

In the middle of Neville's speech, unprompted, Harry randomly jumps out of Hagrid's arms and runs for it. In front of hundreds of Death Eaters.

What. The. Frak.

What follows is even worse - an elaborate "let's distract Voldy while you kill the snake" sequence in which Harry runs through the castle for no apparent reason while Voldemort chases him. In the meantime, Ron and Hermione foolishly try to kill the snake. Harry grabs Voldemort and throws himself - and Voldemort - off the side of the castle, prompting Voldemort to do his flying stuff and land both of them in the courtyard, where they slowly crawl to their wands and - wordlessly - shoot spells at each other. Neville comes out of nowhere and kills the snake, Voldy and Harry break spells, both reeling from the Horcrux destruction, and then resume slinging spells at each other. Voldemort's wand breaks, and then the worst offense Yates commits happens.

He disintegrates and flies off into the wind.

Now, this is why I hate the ending of the film. Harry defies all logic by jumping out of Hagrid's arms. There was no reason to at all. Had he an invisibility cloak, perhaps, but even then - just leaving Hagrid's arms in the middle of Neville's defiance speech is foolhardy. There was nobody that needed immediate defending, as there was in the novel. In the novel, Harry only revealed himself when Voldemort went after Mrs. Weasley after she had killed Bellatrix. He threw off the cloak and shot a Shield Charm in between them, and then told everybody to hold back while he and Voldemort finished it. But instead, we have a Harry who randomly takes off and runs. He RUNS.

This is weak because it leaves out the important detail of Neville being made an example of by Voldemort. He had the Sorting Hat placed on his head and then ignited, and yet because Harry died for the people of Hogwarts, Neville was unharmed. Then, in an epic moment, Neville pulls the sword out of the hat and kills the snake. All of this, of course, happened after Grawp shows up and causes chaos, after the House Elves - led by Kreacher - attack the Death Eaters in the name of Regulus (a touching scene, I may add). All of that abandoned so that Harry can simply embrace the exact same thing he has always done - run. It robs Neville of his greatest moment, and it robs Harry of the character development that death should have brought him. He had faced DEATH - I think that somebody coming out of that would no longer be compelled to run.

So, that aside, what follows is an exercise in futility. The fundamental scene has been ruined, after all. But what really rubs me wrong is the very final duel between Harry and Voldemort. In the book, it was a tense bit of exposition, in which Harry illustrates what made Dumbledore's plan go wrong. What tethered him to life. What made it certain that Voldemort was doomed. It showed Harry's trust in Dumbledore, something that the events of the seventh book had shaken. It shows Harry's character development, no longer afraid to face those who would kill him. It was the culmination of seven books worth of events and character growth - and Yates took a giant scissor to it and eliminated it.

And then, the icing on the cake, was that Voldemort - in the book - fell over and died. As Rowling put it: "Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant and unknowing." This is the most important line in the entire series of Harry Potter. Voldemort was just a man - nothing more. He was born a man, he lived a man, he died a man. Despite all of his efforts, all of his evil, he was only human. That is the greatest, most overarching theme of the entire series - evil is only human. Rowling calls him by his real name in describing his death, and describes him as dying like a normal man.

BUT IN THE FILM HE DISINTEGRATES AND FLIES INTO THE WIND. HUMANS DO NOT DO THAT. In the film, Voldemort WAS special. He wasn't "only human". And that, my friends, is why I absolutely hate the ending of the Harry Potter film series. Yates took scissors to the book and cut out the most symbolic and plot significant moments of the ENTIRE SERIES so that Voldemort can die with the grace of hamfisted CGI.

That, my friends, is why Deathly Hallows Part 2 will always - for me - end with Harry's death.

Last edited:
It. Was. The. Best. Movie. I. Have. Seen. In. My. Entire. LIFE!!!! Oh my gosh, it uis my new favorite HP movie, and I saw it at 5:30 pm tonight!!!! It wuz so flipping awesome!

I saw it at midnight and at 11:00 this morning! Terrific movie, left out a little bit from the book, but most of the changes were OK or even better.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I actually just got back from my friends' house. A group of us went to see the 4:20 show at my local theater. I have to say, I really did love this movie. (Except for the parts I missed while in the bathroom lol.) The effects were done very nicely, especially the fight at Hogwarts. Despite the destruction the spells actually caused, the effects used to show those spells were very beautiful. :P The cast did a wonderful job of portraying the usual lot, too.

(Be forewarned: There will be spoilers following.) The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was pretty much an emotional rollercoaster (as was the book :P). There were quite a few funny scenes, such as when Hermione couldn't walk in Belatrix's high heels, which fit her character perfectly. Then there were scenes that just pulled at my heartstrings, like when Hermione destroyed Hufflepuff's cup in the Chamber of Secrets, she and Ron almost got washed away by the waves, and then kissed randomly when they realized they were safe. Also, the part when Harry left for the Forbidden Forest, and he left his friends at Hogwarts. I actually cried through most of the movie. Ooh, and the part when Harry met back with his parents and other various deceased family members. :sweat:

The one thing, though, I never liked, even in the book, was the couples. I think Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson have sooo much chemistry together, and I would have loved for Hermione and Harry to be together in the end. <3 Ginny and Harry are cute, too, but I just adore Harry x Hermione. Like in The Deathly Hallows: Part 1, after Ron leaves, and it's Harry and Hermione all alone. I loved that part. ;D

All put together, I thought it was a very good movie, and actually reflected the book better than most other movies-based-on-books do. Worth every penny to me. :)

Jedizora

:right:
One more thing. The producers are Complete trolls and I hate them. I was mad The J. K. Rowling robbed Neville Of Killing Bellatix, but I was happy that he killed Nagini. But then they said he didn't Get to do it in the movie. Guess what He did, guys? The Producers sure got their 'trololo' on.

W

Wulf young Link

I saw it and loved it sooooooo much it was fricken amazing loved it so much

Beeker

Wild Card
I also saw this movie at it's midnight premiere. It was a fun time, and the movie was amazing as well. :3
I actually didn't cry, though the movie did make me feel depressed a few times in the movie. The movie gave off so many different emotions,from lighthearted and funny moments of dialogue, to the intense battle scenes, and then the really sad death scenes. Overall I think they did a great job with the movie as well as ending the saga.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
I liked it, rather happy with the last scene when the dark atmosphere to the movie vanished. :)
it just scares me that when you watch the very first Harry Potter movie and then watch The Deathly Hallows part 1, u just go "WTF?!?!?!?!?!
god i hate gloom lol :P

Caeda

Keyblade Master
I saw it right when I got home from something today. Seriously, my friends went to my house for like ten minutes to Change and we left right after that. It was worth it, though. (Spoilers follow)

I love how it started exactly where part one left off. Also, Gripphook abandoning them was well played out (and he did get what he deserved for doing that.)

And then (after a couple things) came the Battle of Hogwarts. One word for that: EPIC. It played out really good. I love the part where the statues march out. I loved that part in the trailer, and the movie didn't disappoint.I like how we actually got to see Hermione destroy the Cup. And her and Ron kiss.

I'm gonna admit I cried during it. I got teary eyed when Snape died. Then they went back to the Great Hall, and I seriously cried. Seeing Fred dead, then Lupin and Tonks, who were still holding hands... Even thinking about it makes me want to cry.

And then in the Forest, he saw his parents and Sirius and Lupin. Played out perfectly. And he was going to sacrifice himself to save everyone. Words can't describe that scene.

Voldemort's end was played out really good. It would've been better if Harry had been able to taunt him like in the book before hand, but it was epic nonetheless. Well, it kinda had to be.

Basically, it was an epic climax to an epic series.

And

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom