• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Handling Magic and Levelling Up

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
In AoL, one of the key elements to surviving the game is knowing how to use your magic and where and when to level up. Some of the strategies I used to do this are:

-When the magic bar is full, and a blue potion is dropped, use the shield spell and then grab the blue magic to refill what was just lost on the shield.

-If a red potion is dropped, refill the life bar even if the life bar was down in the slightest.

-Evaluate how close levelling is before tackling the guardian of a dungeon. If it's 1500 or so away, it's worth leaving the dungeon and coming back to take on the harder foes to level up, then grab the free level up after the guardian.

I'm always interested to hear how different people handle this system in the game. Do you grind and level a lot before entering even the first temple? What magics do you use most often, and in what situations?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
You have some excellent strategies!

I never level up before the first temple. And in the temple (the first one) I only level up my "attack". You can reach an attack level of 4 (when putting the first crystal on place) by doing so and that´s helpful later on (if you´re an agressive player). I tend to use the fairy spell a lot, especially when I´m about to do a speed run and don´t have time to get all the keys. There is more but I´ll wait and see what others will add to this thread :)

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
After they first place I would grind on Goriyas tell 4 or 5 in each catagory.

Then after getting to the Eastern area I would gring on teketites untill max skills, and then It's just luck and skill from there.

B

Bag

In my brief playing time of AoL, I used similar strategies, if I was over half way to level before a boss I'd always train up my experience, then re-enter and get the experience bonus.

Never really liked the AoL though, maybe a little bit to difficult for my taste.

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
where I'd go to town on Goriyas.

Wow then I guess That training method really works if we both use it.

Another method I used very early on in the game was going to a forest patch near the first town and if you got spear moblin, (the ones that don't give exp) go to the middle and continue to kill them and eventule you'll have a few P bags.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
One trick with magic that I use... Say you half half your magic meter, but not quite enough to use the Life Spell. Then you come across a red magic jar. Pick up the magic jar and just as it is filling up your magic bar... use the Life Spell. It will restore your health, but the magic meter will still continue to fill up.

In terms of the leveling up... I can't say I have an exact strategy. One thing I do, is try to avoid leveling up health, unless I'm low on health at the time. Since it pretty much is a good source of getting full health for the early portion of the game.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Hmmm. When levelling up, I go to the Water town of Saria. I then run through the Death Mountain maze and spam up on all the orange Darunias and the Gorias. Then once I get low on health (and magic after using the life spell.) I run back to Saria and use the two women who heal your health and magic, then I go back and do it again as all the monsters have then regenerated. It's a good tactic and the higher level you get, the higher you can go into the maze without losing as much health.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Yeah, I use your strategies when using spells, Basement24. If I am extremely low on health, I'd use all the magic I could to heal or shield then just grab the potion and run. It's also wise to try to keep your health up when near the enemies that carry a spear, because the sword beam is awesome on them. Also, when training at the start of the game, I use the sword beam to kill enemies without being hurt. (Safety first :P)

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
This has really helped me! Hahah,...no wait mean ARGGGH, AoL is soo frustrating! I'll def. be using some of the leveling up tips mentioned here.

I didn't know that I could go back into a place a just keep killing the same monsters.
That's good info.

Zarom

The King
Me I use all the strategies and tips you mentionned. Before going to the first free level-up after the first boss, I always go to level 4 at least in every category. And later, like some other people mentionned too, I go below Saria Town and fight the ennemies that are there.

I remember, one time I had almost reached my level-up (about 3800/4000 or something like that and then, I died in the lava because I missed my jump.:mad::devil::mad::devil::mad::devil::mad::devil::mad::devil: It was SO frustrating...

I would just always try to time everything perfectly and up my experience points as quickly as possible. With every Palace I visit I would attempt to upgrade atleast once or twice before facing the boss since I get a free upgrade for placing the crystal.

As for magic, I always did the trick of filling up your life and obtaining the red jar at the same time to have both full magic and health.

I take the typical RPG maneuver and farm skull-balls for grinding. For those of you who don't know the lingo, you basically keep respawning skull-balls in order to get a lot of experience. I also always start with attack to make grinding easier. Then I go for magic in order to get a head start on it, and end with life.

CZG

Entering a dungeon with about 25% - 33% of the lowest experience level already gained seemed to work well, you'll get those remaing 75% or 67% from clearing the castle and battling everything on your path. If you come a bit short, you can always find some of these magic-eating bounching skull/bubble things, which respawn when re-entering the room.

It may be a bit risky in advanced palaces, but if you do this in the first three or four palaces, you'll get a full level of experience points for sure.

I think this is less dangerous than leaving a dungeon with 95% percent of XP. I end up dying usually.
Maybe it works for the first few palace on the western island, but in all the palaces to the east, I enter them only once. By this time you have not much more levels to gain anyway. Plus, the forest in the south ain't that bad for gaining experience. Levelling up goes pretty fast by that time, just like the Death Mountain area when you are just starting.

And that what chrono said...
I can't think of more good strategies at the moment, except practice and patience. Great game!

octorok74

TETTAC
Because I suck at this game, I am careless when I go to level up. Whenever I get a chance, I take the level up, because I may die a minute later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom