• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gardening!

Do any of you like to garden?

Do you prefer Flower gardens or Vegetable gardens?

I live in an apartment on the second floor. So, its been a long process in trying to figure out how I could have a garden of my own. I've been wanting to do herbs for a long time, because I think there is nothing better then fresh herbs in a dinner dish. Pesto is also my favorite thing in the whole wide world, but basil is expensive, unless you grow it yourself. So I can't wait till they start sprouting.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I have never been into gardening, but I would like to try sometime! My current apartment has lots of flowers that I love to take photos of, and I love having them. I would love to cultivate a flower garden, but Caleb thinks it is impractical and that a garden should be for food :P

I have always wanted to have a garden full of fun, hidden things to observe. Garden gnomes perhaps, or walkways in stone. Pointlessly wasted money, probably, but definitely fun!

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm not much of a gardener myself, but I have grown my own sunflowers before. It was a very tedious and horrible process transferring the plant when the pot got too small. I was afraid of damaging it D:

I tried growing three, but only two 'grew'. One not at all, one into a stalk and some leaves (no flower bud) and one fully.

I have never been into gardening, but I would like to try sometime! My current apartment has lots of flowers that I love to take photos of, and I love having them. I would love to cultivate a flower garden, but Caleb thinks it is impractical and that a garden should be for food :P

I have always wanted to have a garden full of fun, hidden things to observe. Garden gnomes perhaps, or walkways in stone. Pointlessly wasted money, probably, but definitely fun!

lol I have to say I agree with MR. Caleb on that one, at least if I am spending my time on gardening, I want to beable to eat the fruits of my labor. Granted from the photography standpoint I'm sure flowers have more potential then a stalk of broccoli :)

ooh Hidden parts to a garden sounds interesting.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
Haha, yes, practicality has never been one of my strong points! I definitely do want a food garden, but flowers are so much prettier!

My extent of gardening was planting a few daffodils when I was about 7 in the garden with my mum... I never really cared much for gardening. I don't know, just thought it quite boring. But recently I think my view has shifted slightly. Because where I live is starting to see some summery weather, I was walking through a field that is near some allotments and I felt like I wanted to go and tend to a garden somewhere... it just seemed so peaceful and serene, and in light of some troublesome events in my life recently it seemed like it would be the perfect place to be and get away from everything.

Also, I saw my first butterfly of the year and it made me smile.

I was actually a little bummed about this last year! I've been looking forward to getting our apartment (which we got in August), because we live on the third floor with a balcony, and I thought for sure I'd be able to grow some veggies and things. As is typical with my luck though, we get virtually NO sunlight on our balcony. I was particularly excited to grow our own tomatoes, but clearly that's not happening since they need more sunlight than anything else. Hopefully in the future though...

I'm actually a big gardening fan, more specifically vegetables and fruit. We grow tomatoes every year, and they turn out great with typical plant food. Sadly, our carrots and radishes get eaten a lot by rabbits, so that's depressing. If anyone knows how to keep rabbits away from your veggie garden, feel free to tell me! Also, cucumbers are a lot of fun to plant, and they turn out great most of the time. We've started to grow strawberries and they turn out delicious. Speaking of which, it's almost that time of year....

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy gardening. I've actually did little side jobs from time to time helping out in peoples' gardens, and for the most part, it's fun. :)
When I was about 17 or so, I attempting to start my own garden, and things actually took hold. Unfortunately for me, most of these things were weeds and now I can't get rid of them. :P
But when I get my own place, I want to try growing a few herbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom