• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games That Are Like Zelda.

After reading the Darksiders 2 article on ZD, I've been wondering what other games are like Zelda. The Zelda series is a very revolutionary game series, so I would expect there will be games that were inspired by Zelda or games that ripped-off Zelda. Are there any games that you like that are similar to Zelda and if so, how good are they? A game series that I recommend is Metroid. It is a lot like Zelda except with science-fiction, shooting and a darker atmosphere. It has the exploration and character upgrades that we all love. Love to hear all of your recommendations.

I recommend the Castlevania series, Neutopia, the Ys series, Brain Lord, and Soul Blazer. Castlevania, if you haven't heard of it, is a platforming adventure game about a family of vampire slayers, the Belmonts, and Vlad Tepes Dracula along with the rest of his incarnations. Neutopia is a TurboGrafx-16 game that plays a lot like the original NES Zelda with an aerial top-down view, hidden secrets throughout the landscape, mysterious dungeons, and a whole lot more power-ups, making the game a lot more of a glimpse of what the original Zelda (and aLttP) could've done. The Ys series is too awesome to be described. Look it up. It had a LOT of great things in it. The gameplay gets a little stale occasionally, but it's REALLY fun if you stick with it. Brain Lord is, again, like Neutopia; Zelda with more advanced gameplay, only this time, Brain Lord gave you more magic, weapons, story, and *gasp* a JUMP button! I haven't played Soul Blazer in a LONG LONG time, but I remember it being a lot like Zelda 1 and ActRaiser.

I've only played Castlevania 1 on the NES, but from what i've seen from SotN and up, it is a lot like Zelda but mostly Metroid. Keep sending in recommendations guys, this is great!;)

MW7

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64. Might be a little overpriced online (about $25) because it only sold 55,000 copies in North America but totally worth it IMO. It was released before OOT but had several Zelda-esque elements in it in 3d before the Legend of Zelda series even did it. There are 4 characters with different abilities that you switch between to advance in your quest. The main character obtains an item very similar to a hookshot, and there are many instances where you have to find an item/ magic ability for a character in order to progress. For instance the main character's magic ability grants him extra strength which allows him to push large blocks (eerily similar to the silver gaunlets) and reach a new area of the overworld.

Let me stress that this is not just a rip-off of Ocarina of Time because as I said before it was released before it and coincidentally contained numerous Zelda elements in 3d before Nintendo did them. There are even more similar things like silver and gold cats well hidden that serve an identical purpose to heart pieces and containers in Zelda. There are also dungeons (I think they are called castles) as well but my recollection (I haven't played it recently) is that there are not quite as many puzzles as in Zelda although there definitely are some in there.

Reviewers didn't like the game too much but much of the criticism was on the localization (or lack of) of the game in North America rather than gameplay, graphics, music, etc. which most critics liked. Basically the biggest criticism of the game was that it was "too Japanese" which I thought was actually pretty cool because it made the game very unique. But just so you know the entire game takes place in the country of Japan and there are some jokes and dialogue that are hard to understand completely.

I personally love this game and think it is up to par with most Zelda games and feels very similar to Zelda games as well.

ILU

i luv u
I've been playing Enslaved. On the surface, it doesn't seem like a Zelda game at all. There are 3rd person shooter parts and lots of Prince-of-Persia-like parts where you hop around and scale things. But there's something about its core story elements and controls that really give it a Zelda feel. Actually, it was suggested to me for that reason. I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but it's there.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Okami
StarFox Adventures
Secret of Mana
Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. There are quite a few NES games that remind me of Zelda games, but are usually not as good as LoZ and Zelda 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom