• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Does Zelda Need More Multiplayer?

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Things like Battle Mode in PH and ST were cool and all, but what about other multiplayer modes? Things like a Death Match or Enemy Survival? Imagine being in Hyrule Castle, defending hordes of invading Moblins and other monsters with your best friend, getting new weapons, powerups, and areas as you progress. That would be cool, no? FS/FSA doesn't count as multiplayer is part of the main quest. What do you guys think? Do you want more multiplayer/modes in the upcoming Zelda games?

Salem

SICK
As long as it's a separate mode than the main game, or of the whole game is like that, then that means it's like four swords, I don't mind having a sequel to it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Things like a Death Match or Enemy Survival? Imagine being in Hyrule Castle, defending hordes of invading Moblins and other monsters with your best friend, getting new weapons, powerups, and areas as you progress. That would be cool, no?

Two words: **** YES.

Just...hnng. Imagine if you and a friend were in TP Hyrule Castle, locked at the highest room (Throne Room/Possessed Zelda room). You have to defeat waves of Bulbins etc, then you mow your way through Darknuts, and even Iron Knuckles await you. And you just basically retake the Castle, move onto Kakariko Village and HNNNG. This is AMAZING and I completely support the idea. Just one important thing: give it offline split screen coop.

I don't think it should be made too much of a big deal, Zelda isn't really known to boast multiplayer more than Single Player. I don't mind a new way of playing multiplayer as long as it isn't too drastic and doesn't overshadow the core single player.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
No, multiplayer hasn't been a big deal in Zelda, and I can't see any real way to implement it in a standard game. There's Four Sword, but a major game really couldn't support this. The Zelda series draws from its single player epic adventure. Multiplayer is not necessary. It would probably be some shoe-horned awkward SMG-style thing.

DarkLink17

Well then
I don't really fancy a Death Match sort of multiplayer, but a Co-Op mode would be perfect. Like others said before, it shouldn't be implemented into the main game in any way. But rather be it's own thing altogether. I could imagine having to climb Ganon's Tower, the foes growing more formidable the higher you go. Then having to fight Ganon himself at the topp, with the help of a buddy.

Some RPG elements would work in Co-Op mode as well. Every few levels or so, there could be a station/shop where players can upgrade Life, Magic, and the capacity of their consumables. These upgrades can cost certain amounts of points, which are given each time an enemy is defeated (smaller enemies= 5-20 pts, bosses= 50-100 pts).

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Options like what you, balloonofwar4, and Ventus are talking about would be SUPER AMAZING and all, but I had something different in mind that I'd really like.

In TWW we had Link with Makar or Medli, and you had to use both characters alone. In Twilight Princess we had a group of people who help Link, but aren't directly involved in his quest and aren't playable. In Skyward Sword we had Groose, who was a full main character but only used (in terms of gameplay) as a mechanic in specific battles. I wish that we could combine these three ideas into multiplayer. I have mentioned before how much I'd like for there to actually be CHARACTERS involved in the story (I know, crazy idea). My ideal use of multiplayer in a Zelda game would be to have several main characters besides Link engaged in the story and to make all of them optional player characters.

Zelda doesn't need more multiplayer, but it's a great way to lengthen the game experience. With newer installments taking longer to develop, this would give fans something to do in between.

While I enjoyed the simple competitive games offered in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, I think a cooperative mode is better suited for adventure series. The overworld should be tweaked appropriately to accommodate more players (i.e. more and stronger enemies). Also, I've been pitching the idea of a dungeon creator for awhile. Nintendo's already experimented with the notion in Smash Bros., and it'd feel natural in a dungeon crawler. Players would be able to use the same terrain and obstacles Nintendo incorporated into the main game and filter content through their tastes to download the dungeons they want.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
What annoys me is why they have to make the versus multiplayer into such a party game...why can't we have a real swordfight?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I don't know yo, I feel like multiplayer is complete other-videogame kinda stuff, not Zelda at all. Maybe it would be cool to see some sort of option on the main menu for it, just to have fun, and had nothing to do with the main game whatsoever. But really, Zelda is known as a one-player game and I think adding multiplayer to it is like taking Link out of the Zelda games themselves = irrational. I think the multiplayer aspect could be cool as a completely separate game, such as the Crossbow game for the Wii (don't remember the name, sorry.) If it was a completely separate, non-canonical game, I'd be down.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Does the Zelda series need multiplayer? Well I would go with no, but it could do with it, if it's done right then you have a more prolonged and enjoyable experience.

I really hate the negative perceptions people have on online game modes and such, especially when it comes to games that might not necessarily need it. Yes, that game may not fit the mould for a competitive/cooperative game mode, but that doesn't rule out if it would be implemented. First of all, who does it hurt? One doesn't have to play it, if they would rather play the single player, then they can simply play that. Other players may be interested, so it's beneficial for them. I see online multiplayer, as a no lose scenario -- yes it might take up development time, but we as Zelda fans are used to this. In my opinion, it's just a bonus, it's whether it's a good or bad bonus, which is the true question.

There is something always interesting about games that may not have been built for online, for me it's these type of games, that could bring the most unique and best online experience. We are used to standard multiplayer games, why not something different? It's no lie that it would be a challenge for the developers, but it's what they are there for, I'm sure they could implement it somehow, if so wished.

I've had quite a few ideas to be honest, one of my first threads here was to do with a "separate" fighting game mode -- basically it would be accessible from the main menu as a separate mode of sorts. If online was an option then it should be a completely separate from the story, we play for the main mode, keep that, but make a side mode perhaps - that doesn't take away from the core experience. Anyway, I think Co-op is the best bet for now, we've seen it be used quite well in the Four Swords games, so a more advanced and polished mode for a wide multiplayer experience could be great.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'm not into the idea of multiplayer Zelda, death match format or otherwise. Isn't that what Super Smash Bros is kind of for? And also, FS is just meh, like I enjoy the solitude of Zelda because I can explore and do things in my own time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom