• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Do You Want to See Overhead Continue?

Should the Overhead Style Continue to be Used?

• O yeah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O No

• Unsure

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Zelda started off the the 3:4 overhead ratio, and continues to use it in many games up to this day. It's a classic style of looking down at the adventure unfolding, but not one that get's used a lot these days. I heard some of you comment that you were surprised ALBW would be using this style. I always thought of it as an excellent style for zelda, but apparently some of us have been wanting it left in the older games.

Should Zelda continue to use the good old overhead style in the coming years, or should it be ditched for the all around view shown in OoT and other main console games?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I prefer the third person view started with Ocarina and perpetuated with the rest of its 3D sequels/prequels. Technology for handhelds is also improving, so it's very unlikely for me to expect another overhead past ALBW. I also do not hope for another overhead title; OoT3D was simply too beautiful to can.

The 3DS has shown that we can have top-down Zelda and 3D Zelda on handhelds, so why not have one of each style for every Nintendo handheld?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Hell yeah. I think there is still a lot of potential for the top-down view games, so I think Nintendo should definitely consider keeping it around. If Mario can manage both a 2D and 3D series, I don't see why The Legend of Zelda can't also.

Big Octo

=^)
I would enjoy having this format be used in future games, not for the sake of nostalgia or being "retro," but because that these games are sure to provide high-quality gameplay, level design, and other great things. The DS games benefited from the top-down view in my opinion and also proved that the classic style still holds up and can be improved upon. I don't see any reason why this style should be done away with, as it has proven effective even in more recent games.

Salem

SICK
Nintendo has no reason NOT to continue the 2D overhead perspective. They should have 2D Zelda games for the Wii U as well as the 3DS.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Hell yeah. I think there is still a lot of potential for the top-down view games, so I think Nintendo should definitely consider keeping it around. If Mario can manage both a 2D and 3D series, I don't see why The Legend of Zelda can't also.

b/c they're milking the sidescrolling [a.k.a nsmb ] games w/ minimal effort to make money,and the recent 3d games are basically the nsmb games in 3d
is that the kind of road you want zelda to go into? *looks at link b/w worlds*

Salem

SICK
b/c they're milking the sidescrolling [a.k.a nsmb ] games w/ minimal effort to make money,and the recent 3d games are basically the nsmb games in 3d
That one isn't released yet.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

Milking? How is one game per platform, milking? I also see nothing wrong with the recent 3D Mario games... You act like Nintendo has stopped making games.

The purists won't like my post, and I understand their view of top down, as that is how they started, and totally see why they would love it. But I didn't, I started with Ocarina of Time, so it is very hard for me to get into top down games. That might be tough for traditionalists to understand, but its like giving me a flip phone to use after using a smart phone all of these years, who would want to go back.

ALBW does not look bad by any means, but seriously, after the beauty of OoT 3D, how can you go back to top down. I understand maybe for a handheld, but if the WIIu ever did, I would hope it was a sidegame.

I loved the Minish Cap, therefore I know I won't have a problem with ALBW. But I tried OoS, whose graphics I guess are similar to ALTTP or LA, maybe a bit better, maybe a bit worse. But I could not navigate well through that game. Graphics were too "crappy" (sorry) per se. Could hardly tell where I was going, or what things were, as I was a little dot with a stick. The difference from OoX to MC in only 3 years was quite impressive.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
The purists won't like my post, and I understand their view of top down, as that is how they started, and totally see why they would love it. But I didn't, I started with Ocarina of Time, so it is very hard for me to get into top down games. That might be tough for traditionalists to understand, but its like giving me a flip phone to use after using a smart phone all of these years, who would want to go back.
Dunno, I find 2D gaming to be in general easier to understand and thus easier to go back to, cause you see everything at once, while in 3D the camera moves around too much so it takes a little bit of getting used to.

ALBW does not look bad by any means, but seriously, after the beauty of OoT 3D, how can you go back to top down. I understand maybe for a handheld, but if the WIIu ever did, I would hope it was a sidegame.
Why can't they have both, a 2D AND 3D game for the Wii U? I know you said foe a side game but that would imply it's lesser in some way, but I want to have a new 2D Zelda with an original overworld for console and handheld, I don't see that as detracting from the existence of the 3D games.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Top-down era is over, it's okay for flash games though. But, I'm real disappointed that A Link Between Worlds is still going for this.

The 3DS is perfectly capable of 3rd person view. Just look at Ocarina of Time 3D. It's stupid how Nintendo decided to use top-down again, when they could have made the ALBW rendition of Hyrule, much more interesting.

Really, top-down era IS OVER.

Dunno, I find 2D gaming to be in general easier to understand and thus easier to go back to, cause you see everything at once, while in 3D the camera moves around too much so it takes a little bit of getting used to.

Why can't they have both, a 2D AND 3D game for the Wii U? I know you said foe a side game but that would imply it's lesser in some way, but I want to have a new 2D Zelda with an original overworld for console and handheld, I don't see that as detracting from the existence of the 3D games.

I guess it doesn't have to be a side game. Just as long as there is both, since that system is capable of so much, I want to see it. The thing I like about 3D compared to top down is you really see the beauty of the overworld, the eeriness of a temple, etc. Just more detail. Its almost like 3D I feel like I am actually traveling in the world, while top down I feel more like I am traveling on a map.

I started playing the franchise with ALttP, so obviously I'm going to say yes. It works very well with the Zelda games, and I won't mind seeing that style being continued on handhelds. As for Nintendo's console, I aspect a 3D Zelda game. It's capable of producing beautiful 3D models of environments and characters, so I'm expecting them to utilize. I paid a lot of money for the consoles so I want something epic on a larger scale with beautiful graphics.

Milking? How is one game per platform, milking? I also see nothing wrong with the recent 3D Mario games... You act like Nintendo has stopped making games.

To be honest, Nintendo is milking the hell out of the Mario games (or at least Mario's character specifically). The whole Nintendo library is over-saturated with them. Every other month there is a new one out, either a Super Mario Bros installment or a spinoff. It's not like they're being innovative on each title either, they're just rehashing old concepts and adding a couple things here and there. Nothing worth to actually buying most of the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom