• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Disks or Cartriges?

Disks or Cartriges?

• Disks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cartriges

• Don't Care

• Total voters

amaterasu

Writer
I personally perfer cartriges, mainly because it's harder to mess them up and they just seem more durrable. what do you guys think?

Zaeker

Overlord of Userbars
I personally perfer cartriges, mainly because it's harder to mess them up and they just seem more durrable. what do you guys think?
Definitely cartridges! They're durable, nostalgic, have short load times, and it's super fun to hear that clicking sound when you put them in the console! :D

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I have broken so many catriges. In my experience, they break extremely easily. Disks are extremely hard to break (although it depends what type). The disks that you put in the Wii are the kind the bend 180 degrees without breaking. It is also rather hard to scratch them unless you leave sharp, pointy objects lying around.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I have broken so many catriges. In my experience, they break extremely easily. Disks are extremely hard to break (although it depends what type). The disks that you put in the Wii are the kind the bend 180 degrees without breaking. It is also rather hard to scratch them unless you leave sharp, pointy objects lying around.
They're not talking about physically breaking. They're talking about scratches.

Strictly speaking in the most technical sense, there is only one real advantage of disks. And that's the cost to capacity ratio. You get more space for a lower price. However, that's quickly changing. Disks are hitting their upper limit on how much space you can physically fit onto the surface of the disk. Flash memory has a much larger volume in which ti save information. The amount of volume the save space takes up is far more than on a disk, the disk has more surface area, because it's bigger, but the surface it saves on is very thin, to the actual volume is tiny compared to even the smallest flash memory card. Soon flash memory will be cheap enough to make disks obsolete. We'll go back to cartridges.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
They're not talking about physically breaking. They're talking about scratches.

I know. I included the point about scratches because they were talking about it. I made my own point because I have actually broken catriges.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
My friend and I were throwing crap at each other for fun and I took some rugrats game and threw it him. He dodged it. It hit the wall. You can break a cartrige like that but not a disk.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
Because we're both idiots. We were throwing pillows. Then it went to tissue boxes. Then plastic bottles. Then the game.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Cartridges are better than discs for gamers, but there's a reason we won't see them return any time soon.

For one thing, pressing discs is faster and cheaper for the video game company than producing equivalent sized cartridges. They're more likely to be broken, which means you have to buy a replacement disc eventually. Also, it's supposedly easier for programmers to design for discs.

Essentially, discs were chosen not because they're a better medium for the consumer, but because they're cheaper and more convenient for the gaming companies. It's simple economics and corporate greed at work.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I don't really care one way or another.

Although I have to admit that I would lean slightly more towards discs, simply because i'm more motivated to put them in a safe place when they're not in use. Cartridges just get tossed into a drawer, while they might be sturdier they can be a pain to clean out when they get dusty.

Last edited:
There is some visceral satisfaction to be gained from cartridges. I'm probably being a nostalgic old fool but something about the process of clicking the cartridge into place is more satisfying than loading a disc into a drive. Although I understand why discs are more common.

Soon flash memory will be cheap enough to make disks obsolete. We'll go back to cartridges.

I should imagine that will be true one day, but it's probably a long while off. A hundred 4.7GB DVDs cost me £20 from a store (roughly), while a single 4GB memory stick costs about £10. Even for companies buying in bulk I should imagine the difference is equivalent.

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I don't really care one way or another.

Although I have to admit that I would lean slightly more towards discs, simply because i'm more motivated to put them in a safe place when they're not in use. Cartridges just get tossed into a draw, while they might be sturdier they can be a pain to clean out when they get dusty.
This. While cartriges are nice and all, discs give me motivation to keep them safe. But I can see how I wouldn't have to worry about hurting cartriges (unless I was Kotake&Koume :) )so I guess I don't really care either way.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I'm more in the middle but if I really had to choose between one of the two I would have to say Cartridges. There are both positive and negative things to both Disks and Cartridges. For Cartridges they are not as hard to break as it is to breaking a Disk, I cant even remember breaking a cartridge. But the negative thing about them is that they mess up a lot when your playing them. Since the controller cord was not that long we had to place the N64 on the floor in order to play, so with that people had to be careful not to touch the N64 without messing the game up. Or there were times when the Cartridge would just stop working for no reason so I had to reset the game.

Now a Disk is much easier to break then a Cartridge as it can get cracked or scratched. I cant count how many times I had to go to a gaming store to have my disk clean due to the scratches on it. But the Disk is a much faster and cheaper way to be made while the cartridge cost a little more but since I have never had to have a Cartridge to be fixed I will have to go with Cartridge. Also a disk is less likely to mess up then a cartridge but that depends if your disk is scratched or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom