• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Call of Duty - Most Overrated Game of All Time?

Is It Or Not?

• Definitely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Way.

• Yes And No.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Call of Duty, to me... is very dull and uninteresting.

I have friends who absolutely love the Call of Duty games, but i don't see how they can. I want to play a game that has a good plot with rich characters, not an On-Rails Shoot-'em-up with no backbone or story to support the action. I feel like all X-Box is is a Call of Duty console. And I get that "The X-Box has great graphics", but since when do graphics make or break a game? Games like Zelda have a great storyline that changes in some way from game to game, rich characters, lots of content, and they're overall great games.

Another thing I love to do as a gamer is theorize and speculate. Can you theorize in a Call of Duty game? The answer to that riddle is "no". I think a game is truly great when it leaves just little things open to the imagination, like how the characters sound (in games with no voice acting), why things are where they are, why certain events happened, etc. With Call of Duty, you know what's gonna happen, they have voice acting and it's the same "Shoot-People-For-The-Hell-Of-It" game that I absolutely can't stand!!

I voted "Definitely", and I think you all can see why.

They made MW1, MW2, then Black Ops, and now MW3 is in the making? Look how unorganized that is! It's mainly because several different companies keep taking charge of it.

Zeldahuman, a big one would be Majora's Mask. There are SO many unanswered questions, but it makes our imaginations run wild while we play the game. That makes it so much more fun, because all you do in COD is just shoot people. There's no story, no imagination, it's just shoot everyone to win. I think even Atari games are less primitive than that. I'm so sick of everyone acting like COD was God's gift to the world.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
They made MW1, MW2, then Black Ops, and now MW3 is in the making? Look how unorganized that is! It's mainly because several different companies keep taking charge of it.

Zeldahuman, a big one would be Majora's Mask. There are SO many unanswered questions, but it makes our imaginations run wild while we play the game. That makes it so much more fun, because all you do in COD is just shoot people. There's no story, no imagination, it's just shoot everyone to win. I think even Atari games are less primitive than that. I'm so sick of everyone acting like COD was God's gift to the world.
The games are quite overrated, but you are underrating them. It's not just shooting people for no reason. Play the campaigns for the Modern Warfares. They actually have a very cool storyline to them. With the exceptions of CoD's 1-3 and World at War.

First things off: The first post, as well as many that followed, is heavily biased with Zelda. I answered yes and no. I do see a reason for it being overrated, but only in the newest release, and world at war. In other words, I hate Treyarch. But I can fit a whole thread with those complaints. I don't thing the modern warfarwe games, and I see a reason why everyone likes them.

EDIT: Same controls? It has good controls that work, and a FPS needs to have the same sort of controls. Thats why its a FPS!
You make a lot of very good points here. I too hate Treyarch (with the exception of Zombies mode, which is very fun).

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The games are quite overrated, but you are underrating them. It's not just shooting people for no reason. Play the campaigns for the Modern Warfares. They actually have a very cool storyline to them. With the exceptions of CoD's 1-3 and World at War.

The stories are quite generic and nothing special. Come on. It's a war game and they can't even give you co-op?(With the exception of World at War, but even then that game sucks) You're character is a nobody, and the story is very generic. For the first Modern Warfare the most likable character wasn't even you the player. It was a CPU in front of you. Sure, it might of been good the first time around but how many years has it been and there is still no damn improvement in gameplay or story?

E

EvilMag

I'll just stick to MW1.

MW2 has too many campers, knife throwing, and noobtubers and I can bet MW3 will have all of that.

Black Ops and WaW were terrible. Only played them for Zombies.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I'll just stick to MW1.

MW2 has too many campers, knife throwing, and noobtubers and I can bet MW3 will have all of that.

Black Ops and WaW were terrible. Only played them for Zombies.

Yet, every game continues to get nearly perfect scores. I know of some masterpieces on the Nintendo 64 that never got the attention they deserved. They got an 8/10 or so, but never went much farther than that.

It's sad that COD continues to get praised for stupid reasons, while true masterpieces often go unnoticed.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Shooters are a dying genre, and Call of Duty has lead the charge. Its wild success - deserved or not - has attracted a slew of imitators, to the point that essentially every multiplayer shooter game released in the past three years is virtually identical. Games like Team Fortress 2 - more unique games with distinct styles and gameplay - are dying in the name of the Almighty Dollar.

Innovative games are far too rare these days. We need more Portals, more BioShocks - games that aren't afraid to mix things up in the name of the Gamer, not the Dollar.

Jedizora

:right:
The stories are quite generic and nothing special. Come on. It's a war game and they can't even give you co-op?(With the exception of World at War, but even then that game sucks) You're character is a nobody, and the story is very generic. For the first Modern Warfare the most likable character wasn't even you the player. It was a CPU in front of you. Sure, it might of been good the first time around but how many years has it been and there is still no damn improvement in gameplay or story?
One, because the gameplay works in many peoples eyes, and the story is the least important thing. If you want a good story line, read a book.

It angers me when people shoot down such an amazing series like Halo because of the ignorant side of the fan base that doesn't know what they're talking about.
You mean that ignorant 90% of the fan base? yeah, they're the ones who don't know what they're talking about.

The most overrated series is probably grand theft auto, although CoD is pretty overrated too.

But what I hate is when people think a game is overrated because it's 13 years old *cough* OoT *cough* and still gets good reviews. It's rated high because it's a great game!

The only reason people play it is it has GUNS and KILLING people in "funny" ways. My music teacher teacher's brother was in a war, a real one and saw a dead kid and has nightmares about it all the time. CoD gets a 0.0 score from me for intense violence, and lots of blood.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Back when CoD first came out it was something new and there was a reason for the hype. It added good new ideas to FPSs, the problem is that it hasn't changed! They claim, "we added zombies and online matches". Those were nice but there haven't been any changes since World at War. The new Call of Duty titles are the most over rated games I know of.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
I honestly think CoD is stupid. I only have Black Ops because of the multiplayer. The story itself is bland, unoriginal, and pointless. I mean, the Russian roulette scene is just a rip-off of one of the scenes in The Deer Hunter, which is a movie! I admit I like the multiplayer because your facing actual people who have their own stratigies, but thats really all I can say about my foundness for the series. Other than that, its just more of the same thing with these games: "Kill these people." "Why?" "Cause their bad." "Ok!" *bang!*. I prefer games with good stories, characters you can relate to, and a way to grip the player's intrest, like LoZ, N.M.H., and Metroid do.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer

Finally, SOMEONE agrees with me. Games like Zelda are more fun because they leave alot to teh imagination. Now, i'm not saying all games should be like Zelda, but give CoD an f-ing storyline! Make the CoD games actually interesting for people who enjoy a good adventure and you'll have me sold. But, until that day comes, don't expect to see me playing any CoD.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
But that's just it. No one cares about the one player mode, only the online play. So that day will most likely never come. I'd like to see all of the reviews and ratings of MW3 when it comes out. If it still gets praised, I will push my writing and speaking skills beyond the limit and try to start a serious online poll/article.

I actually know of at least two people right now who like COD, but don't plan on buying the new games, for a while at least. They admitted to me that it's just the same crap in every game. I think, if MW3 is still praised, then people will never open their eyes.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
One, because the gameplay works in many peoples eyes, and the story is the least important thing. If you want a good story line, read a book.

I guess all books have good stories then.:dry:

And no. The gameplay needs changes along with it's physics and recycled lame knife animations.

You mean that ignorant 90% of the fan base? yeah, they're the ones who don't know what they're talking about.

The most overrated series is probably grand theft auto, although CoD is pretty overrated too.

But what I hate is when people think a game is overrated because it's 13 years old *cough* OoT *cough* and still gets good reviews. It's rated high because it's a great game!

Nice statistics professor. Where did you find them?

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
The Call of Duty series tries waay to hard to be a 'cool realistic shooter', yet the playerbase consists of 13 year old kids who find anything with guns and bombs super special awesome because they can on kill streaks against other oblivious kids. It wouldn't be surprising if half the playerbase were under the game age recommendation. If I want a realistic shooter, I'll go play something called 'Real Life', a concept foreign to most of its players, apparently. If I want a shooter, I'll play Team Fortress 2, something revolved around having fun and using team work to conquer the enemies, rather than a game promoting camping in the corner with a machine gun and sending missiles over your enemies. It is certainly overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom