• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Book Recommendations?

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
I really don't know where to put this, so I'll put this here...

I need a ton of summer reads, since I'm like bored all the time and since I'm traveling back and forth, I need something to read while on the road.

Also, if you need a book to read, just ask here;)

I just need a book that's really good, well written, and you can't put it down, but for teens or for preteens.

And I didn't see a thread like this, but if there is one, then please close the thread.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
Alrighty, I got one! I'm a huge reader myself. I love the teen section at Borders.

The Host by Stephanie Meyers. Yes, I know she wrote the Twilight Saga, but The Host is no where near as badly written as the saga is.

The Host is sci-fi and love tied in one. I absolutely adored it. Even though its put in the adult novel section, it was an easy read!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Have you ever read Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynn Jones? You may recognize it from the Miyazaki film that was based on it. The book and the film start out similarly and then split off from each other so that the endings (and a lot of the middle) are completely different. I recommend both, of course, but this being the book thread, my point is that even if you've seen the film, the book is worth a read, and there are less spoilers than you think. It's also pretty funny.

One of the books I loved in middle school was The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. It's about a girl who is the only passenger on a ship when the crew decides to mutiny. It's suspenseful with a strong main character. It's been so long I can't remember anything about the writing style, though it was a Newberry Honor book.

Slower-paced, but Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson is also great. It's about a sister who feels like she is living in the shadow of her other sister, which is where the title comes from, a Bible verse about Jacob and Esau. The main character is a girl who crabs with her father and thus is more of a tomboy, and her sister is a gifted singer. It takes place in the 1940s on a small island so it's a nice historical novel. It won the Newberry Award.

And if you like nonfiction, try A Girl From Yamhill sometime. It's Beverly Cleary's autobiography. Again, not very suspenseful, but I found it pretty interesting. She's got another called My Own Two Feet which I'd like to read sometime, but haven't yet.

ETA:

Thought of a couple more.

Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock. It's about a girl who decides to try out for her high school's football team. There's also some romance involved, but it's a part of the story, not the focus of it. It's part of a trilogy, but good as a stand-alone too.

Also, the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Only the first two are out, but the third is coming out this month. It's set in a dystopia where people are forced to face off in a Battle Royale-type game every year. These are fairly suspenseful.

Last edited:
maximum ride by james patterson. it's fast-paced and action packed with clever writing and a lot of wit. it's one book that will constantly entertain you. i can't tell you anything about the plot without making it sound stupid, but it's actually very well-written. if you want a fast-paced and entertaining read, then maximum ride is the book for you.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Here are two recommendations:

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

Genesis, by Bernard Backett

You can get an idea of what they are about by following the link. Ender's Game is a classic, and I enjoyed Genesis quite a bit...

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
Hmmmm... It really depends on your reading ability, I have a very high reading ability (not real good at writing though). A good book that any one could read is A Journey to The Center of The Earth :by Jules Verne, the author is the godfather of SCI-FI, and it's a classic that you will probably have to read eventually anyway! :D

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
One of my favorites is Looking for Alaska by John Green. Fictional but easy to relate to. Er, I have to warn that it's definitely a high school and higher book, not so much preteens.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I don't know about you guys, but I'm always up for a good horror book.
:)
I would recommend The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (director of Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 1 & 2, Blade II, ect) and Chuck Hogan; especially if you're tired of the now-overdone romantic vampires (del Toro doesn't think too much of the Twilight series :P ).
It's good, and gets scary in the later chapters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against romantic vampires (I grew up with Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, afterall), but it's refreshing to see them return to their monstrous out-of-control vicious form again.
:)

It's part of a trilogy, and the second book is coming out in less than a month.

the-strain.jpg

jebus_thecatman

What the moo?
Charlotte Dolye was alright, I had to read last year at school.
The Percy Jackson is just as good as Harry Potter
The 39 Clues are good too.
If you like cats read the Warriors Series is right for you

I don't have much else to say...Good Luck reading everyone!

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
The Chronicles of Narnia, Aliens series, Lord of the Rings, The Iliad, The Oddysey, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Lightning thief,...thats all I can think of a t the moment.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would recommend The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings might be a little too much for a preteen, but I did read The Hobbit when I was 12 without any trouble.

Alice in Wonderland is also a good book. It was originally written for children your age. Through the Looking-glass is a lesser known sequel, it's also good.

Chronicles of Narnia might be a good book to introduce you to C.S Lewis, as it was written for children.

When you get a little older, I would also recommend Till we have Faces by C.S. Lewis, and A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
For preteens? Charlie Bone. All five books had me incredibly interested. It's an easy read, not really complicated Diction. I didn't want to read it at first because the plot sounds a lot like Harry Potter which I didn't want to read, but for indisclosed reasons, I found myself in a situation where it was mandatory to read one and I couldn't stop with one book. I wound up buying all five books just from reading one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom