• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Game of the Year

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future would have to take the prize for me. The storyline was absolutely amazing and made me cry a few times, the music was masterfully composed and always fits perfectly, and the puzzles in the game are, for the most part, absolutely amazing. The cinematic sequences are also some of my favorite in all of video gaming. This game was an absolute masterpiece, and it definitely tops its predecessors in every area.

The number 2 spot would have to be Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. Since I played the first game in the series, Ace Attorney has always been my second favorite series (Zelda being first, of course), and this game continues the tradition of mind-bending cases, a unique cast, a deep story, and a soundtrack second to none. This is the first game in the series where all of the cases are actually directly linked to one another, as well. While the returning characters may seem a bit out of character at times, it is still an incredible game by any standard.

3 would have to be Other M. This game, to me, is why the vast majority of game reviewers don't matter in the slightest. They all said the story was overdone, the voice acting sucked, and the flow of the game was horrible. I enjoyed the story immensely, actually. While it may seem a bit silly at times, overall it is extremely good, I thought. The voice acting wasn't bad at all. I found it to fit quite well, actually. And while the game was a little bit too linear for my taste it was still overall quite fun. It doesn't stand up to the Prime games, but it is a great experience in its own right.

Other than that, no games this year particularly struck me (though, to be fair, I haven't played most of Nintendo's newest releases yet, like DKCReturns and Epic Yarn, and I don't care at all about PS or XBox releases). Super Mario Galaxy 2 was fun, and a great improvement over the horribly overrated Super Mario Galaxy, but it still didn't strike me as anything particularly fantastic; Super Mario 64 has yet to be beat.

for me, it's easily Super Mario Galxy 2. it was just so much fun and it was actually challenging! all of my reasons for naming it no. 1 have already been posted. i'm just going to say that i haven't had this much fun on the wii since TP!

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
My list to pick from: (only the ones I've played!!)

(No new Zeldas!!)
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Halo: Reach
Call of Duty Black Ops
Super Scribblenauts
Umm... others? I wish I could have more on this list, but I haven't gotten the chance to play Kinect, PS Move, or any of the recent Wii titles.

If I had to pick, it would be tied between Cod and Halo.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I personally belive that the best Nintendo title of the year is...

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

The graphics were amazing. The worlds were amazing. The plot was amazing. The soundtrack was amazing. EVERYTHING WAS AMAZING! there's so much replay value, and so many possibilities for exploration and experimentation! Every world was vivid and exciting, and there was always a suprise hidden somewhere in the level. Wether that be a starbit jackpot or a coin jackpot! :D

It's definitley a milestone in the history of Mario games, and the perfect way to celebrate 25 years :)

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
I'm going to have to go with Halo Reach. It had very nice visuals, some of the best graphics out now, and had very amazing gameplay. After playing the fist four games, if you count ODST, you can tell Reach went back to it's Halo Combat Evolved roots and modernized it with lot's more to offer. As if the gameplay and formula wasn't already great, they added the very fun and useful armor abilities. Master Chief is no doubt one of the best characters in the video game world, taking a break from him wasn't a bad choice because Noble Six was a great idea, not only can we change his appearance, we get to be him. That and it will also make Master Chief's return a lot more epic. Online is amazing, and the assassinations were a fantastic idea. I won't say it's better then Combat Evolved because it is a true classic. But Halo Reach is by far one of the best shooters and game, period, out now. It delivered a great experience and had lot's of difficulty. Thought you were good at Halo? Think again.

I just have to reply this. Halo Reach Does not even compare to games like Uncharted and Battlefield when it comes to graphics. The story line was too short. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game but not worth the best game of this year.

For me, I really can't decide. Red Dead Redemption maybe? It has a great storyline with awesome multiplayer and co-op. Donkey Kong Country Returns was great, but I felt that it is quite short. I have over half the game beaten in one day. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has a great storyline and a highly rated multiplayer. With a return of Ezio Auditore and the E3 best multiplayer, it deserves a lot.

The best game I played that came out this year would have to be SMG2. (thats like the only game ive played that came out this year)

Galaxy 2 is my number 1!

When the whole gaming industry reviewed this game, it turned out to be the 3rd best game EVER MADE!
check it up at gamerankings!

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
My personal best game of the year is Red Steel 2. After being very disappointed by Red Steel 1, this game blew all my negative expectations away. If SS has the same swordfighting controls as Red Steel 2, it will be the most epic zelda game ever. My 2nd favorite is Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, since it has a very good story and characters. Third will be Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, a fun spin-off serie of the Phoenix Wright games.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'll be first to say that Mass Effect 2 was absolutely fantastic; it was brilliant in picking up the decisions you made from the first game for a very rewarding experience, drawing from events in the first game to delve deeper into the characters and their personal matters. I absolutely loved the story and the game, and it reaches a new level of story telling in gaming.

Red Dead Redemption is also another good pick. It has great multiplayer, an excellent story, and very fun single player campaign. My only qualms were that certain parts of the story felt unnecessary, and I felt the narrative of the story would have been served better without certain segments.

However, the number one pick for me is Super Mario Galaxy 2. I came into it thinking I wouldn't be impressed because it was a sequel, but it didn't feel like a sequel at all. Each level managed to top the last in terms of ingenuity and creativity, and it never failed to please in terms of game play or challenge. It was an absolute marvel, and one of the best games I have played in a long time. The Throwback Galaxy was brilliant, but the absolute final Galaxy in the game takes the cake, by far. That last level is what took this game from great to phenomenal; I stumbled through that nefariously difficult level in awe and amazement, and no matter how many times I died, I never got frustrated. The soundtrack was epic and it kept me going the whole time, driving me further and further to succeed. The orchestrated music really reinforces the majestic, graceful feeling of the game, and that's how it felt. It was a polished and truly impressive experience, and it really managed to create an experience I'll never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom