• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

best first impression

Usually takes me a little bit of time to adjust to a new game. Might have to say TP, but even that didn't immediately and thoroughly click with me.

OoT has been my favorite game for over a decade now, but I remember renting it numerous times before finally buying it. At first, I wasn't in love with the "fairy" stuff, thinking it made the game and Link seem a little too whimsical and soft.

First time I played SS, I had just come off (nearly) 100%'ing TP, and I had loved every second of it. What I'd really wanted was to keep playing TP but with new content, and so with SS I was disappointed at first - the art style was way different, I had 6 hearts instead of 3, there was a sprint button, etc. Again with that one, I learned to enjoy it with time.

Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask - it was about learning the feel and style first. I first played LA when I was 6, and I remember being glued to it for awhile. I remember watching friends play ALTTP many times before getting my own hands on a copy, but I loved the vibrant art style from the beginning.

tl; dr - might have to say ALTTP, given that when I first saw it, I didn't own a SNES, and was used to the black-and-white gaming my Gameboy afforded me, making it quite a striking game.

Salem

SICK
  • I wanna say alttp, but I don't remember very well, I remember being scared of the beginning for some reason, not much besides that.
  • LA, it was fun and quick/:)
  • OOT first 3D Zelda, it was amazing
  • MM, it weirded me out at first
  • ALBW, I liked the beginning.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Hmm... This was a hard one... I guess I'd say Majora's Mask. Before I saw that, the only other Zelda I knew of and owned was OOT, which I loved, so when I saw that there was another Zelda-game that had come out with about the same graphics I really wanted it, but I didn't have the exansion pack thingie for my N64. One day I found and bought the The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition for the gamecube and that solved it all :)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Ocarina of Time, It sounds weird now but back when it was first released the overworld was considered “big”. As a 4 year old the game was captivating, it drew me in, unfortunately I couldn't read well so I never could really play the game and maintain any progression, I had no idea what to do, or were to go. Still, just running around aimlessly was fun to me.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ocarina of Time, It sounds weird now but back when it was first released the overworld was considered “big”. As a 4 year old the game was captivating, it drew me in, unfortunately I couldn't read well so I never could really play the game and maintain any progression, I had no idea what to do, or were to go. Still just running around aimlessly was fun to me.

It took me a good couple of years to make good progress in that one but playing it for the first time was the most memorable and left the biggest impression.
When you played you had no idea how big the world was so discovering new places was part of the excitement. It was the game that introduced me to a lot of the enemies and themes I like in the series and it is game I compare all others to because it was the best experience I have had with a game. TP is very close for me as well because it immediately felt like how Zelda should be, it was like a more modern OOT whilst the WW before it was very different.

MW7

Ocarina of Time had the best first impression on me. In retrospect, the Great Deku Tree was not one of the best dungeons in the series, but the relatively quick beginning to OoT made it more enjoyable than any other game. Simply the fact that OoT had less stuff between the start and the first dungeon than any other 3d game, made it the best for me.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Oracle of Seasons had the best first impression on me. Oracle of Ages was the first Zelda game my sister really got into, making it fun to play along with her. I had played other Zelda games before, and while I remember them all fondly, I was a little young at the time to appreciate them fully. The Oracle games came out around the time when I became more serious into gaming, and they will always hold a special place with me.

Twilight Princess instantly drew me in, and I loved it so much that I immediately went back to Ocarina of Time afterwards, a game I had put on the back burner for many years. After completing those games, I truly started to appreciate the franchise for its well designed dungeons and overworld, clever use of items, and a story that at times felt cliche but still delivered.

I actually had a really weird first experience with the franchise. I played Ocarina of Time when I was three years old, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me that you had to break the spider web to get down to the basement of Inside the Deku Tree.

I decided to pick up Twilight Princess for the Wii around the time Super Mario Galaxy released because it "looked cool". Sure enough, I was hooked by what I consider to be the second most immersive Zelda game after Majora's Mask. Twilight Princess had its missteps, like the Ordonian Children being largely absent from the second half of the game, but it was the game's sheer scale and clever twists, including Ganondorf replacing Zant as the main villain, the role of the Resistance in fighting Ganondorf, and Midna's true form, that had me hooked until the end and made me go out and buy every canon Zelda game I didn't own (except for Four Swords Adventures) in the years to come.

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
ALttP. MM is my favorite game, but ALttP had the best first impression. I had LOVED the story in ALttP, as well as the music. I remember playing it years ago on my GBA, and I've got some great memories that are brought back by playing it. The lost woods from that game are especially special to me. Just hearing that theme, and the ocarina boy's song brings a wave of nostalgia over me again.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nostalgia still reign supreme on my heart. 5 years old. Just got an n64. You turn it on, get through a quick serious bit and then are running freely through a forest as a little kid who looked a lot like me. The music was charming, the combat and swimming was fun, and those Deku Baba's really looked scary to me back then. It was a great intro to the series for me. OoT wins for me

The most inviting Zelda is probably Wind Waker, but all that goodness is thrown out the window once you exit Outset, then it becomes a mediocre game. shame too, I love Outset Island.

Hyrule Warriors for me. Totally amazing first impressions for me. All it's flaws (and there are a lot) only really surfaced after 200-300 hours into the game. By then I was ok to put the game down and stop playing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom